Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Tv Package advice

in TV MoneySaving
10 replies 2K views
New to the forum and I wish to get advice on my TV deal.

I currently have a 25% off 12 month contract with Sky. I have the Original bundle plus Sky Sports 1 which costs me £26.62 per month. The full price when that offer ends will be £35.50 per month. Apart from watching my team who are on Sky quite often I don't really watch many of the Sky channels. It's good for the Sky+ feature but most of what I watch would be on freeview anyway.

I also have BT Broadband and pay £6 a month to get BT Sport through my Sky box. Overall I currently pay £32.62 for TV in total. It will be renewal time soon so should I

1. Stick with what I have and threaten to cancel with the hope of getting a good discount at Renewal time..

2. Get a Freeview HD/Freesat box and watch BT sport through the app on Chromecast.

3. Get a NOW TV box and get the Entertainment pass. Also buy the Sky Sports pass for when my team is playing.

Please note I live in N Ireland and I can pick up the RTE Channels. I can record these on my Sky+ box but unsure if can do this with any of the other options listed above.

Thanks

Replies

• teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you cancel Sky tv, you will lose the record, rewind etc features of the box, unless you pay for the facility or it is offered to keep your phone/broadband custom (not applicable in your case). It can, however, be used to access free from Sky channels.

Threatening to leave will get you no or poor offers. It needs cancellation, preferably allowed to go ahead to get the good deals.
  • edited 6 September 2017 at 12:16PM
    stockton_2stockton_2 Forumite
    336 Posts
    edited 6 September 2017 at 12:16PM
    As Teddysmum says, you have to cancel (as I have just done) and then just sit back and hope for another deal.

It is not just a game of bluff. There is a limit to what I will pay and if the price is not right then it is bye bye sky. Having said that I might consider paying the £10 a month sub to keep the sky+ facilities.
  • edited 22 January 2017 at 10:13PM
    CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    16K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 22 January 2017 at 10:13PM
    It depends on what you want. The advantage of Now TV is that the Entertainment pass is much cheaper than Satellite (full price is only £6.99pm, and there are regular opportunities to save on that price). The contracts are monthly, so if there is a particular sport event that you want to see, you can access it without paying for a long-term contract.

To really save, though you need to consider all the options - both those involving changing your TV, and those that involve a new bundle of TV + Broadband. BT is the most expensive of the main providers.

Now TV have a new BB offering, for example, that bundles TV+Fibre BB starting from £30pm. I haven't yet heard any reports, good or bad, on Now TV customer service for BB. This is also a 1 month contract, so you could take up a cheaper offer elsewhere if one arose.
    ex Board Guide

• almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Re: RTE - you're receiving it via satellite on Sky. If you move to Freeview HD, you'll be able to get them too (at least 3 of them anyway). NOT Freeview, MUST be Freeview HD. Within the last few years, they have begun broadcasting on the NI transmitters.
    If you're actually willing to leave, you're in a powerful negotiating position, and could get yourself a big discount if you're willing to stay.
  • Should I wait and see what Sky offer me first at renewal time. My last offer with sky was 25% for sky sports 1 only with the original bundle and that was the best they could do.
  • CornucopiaCornucopia Forumite
    16K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    If you're going to actively haggle with them, it's a good idea to have a notional "Plan B" in mind, together with the amount you plan to save by going down that route instead of staying with them.
    ex Board Guide

• I saw an article for the now TV smart box which also has freeview channels. Thought about it but my team is on Sky Sports a lot and I would be shelling out on the day passes. However the Entertainment part of Now TV sounds good.

Whereas if I chose Freeview HD I would be able to record. I could use my Chromecast to stream BT Sport. I could also use the Now Tv app either.

Do you think my current Sky Original plus Sky sports 1 deal is a good one and should I consider holding out for a discount at renewal time?
  • teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    mu1978 wrote: »
    I saw an article for the now TV smart box which also has freeview channels. Thought about it but my team is on Sky Sports a lot and I would be shelling out on the day passes. However the Entertainment part of Now TV sounds good.

Whereas if I chose Freeview HD I would be able to record. I could use my Chromecast to stream BT Sport. I could also use the Now Tv app either.

Do you think my current Sky Original plus Sky sports 1 deal is a good one and should I consider holding out for a discount at renewal time?
    As people have said ad infinitum, you may get some deal at renewal time (not if you don't contact them, as you will just go onto full price), but the best ones come if you cancel and go through with that.

I cancelled and was switched off and only a deal too good to refuse lured me back. I doubt it will be repeated, next time , so am quite willing to stay away longterm.
  • I too, had an amazing deal from Sky TV, but i had to get to the point of the service being switched off. A few days after an offer appeared of 75% off with £100 credit. Nearly a year of variety pack with box sets for free.
    By now, looking at my account, they know that if i dont get a good deal i move on... but up until now (3 or 4 years running) i had very nice discounts. I would say Sky is the best at doing deals. Virgin also do them but not as good. BT i will find out in 8/9 months time or even sonner when i get their letter about the price increases.
    Loyalty does count for nothing. Being 10 or more years with a telecoms company they will see you as a fool and call you bluff if you threaten to leave. The good deals are for the people that move around or are prepared to really move.
  • Bigphil1474Bigphil1474 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'd look at it like this - if your team are on Sky 10 times a season, paying £10 each time for a day pass (via Now TV) is a lot cheaper than paying £26 a month all year. The big benefit of Now TV is that it is short term contracts. If your team is a football team, you don't need Sky sports in June and July - but paying for a monthly pass on Now TV sport for 10 months (@ around £32 a month) is more expensive than paying £26 a month all year. So shorter passes are the key.
    Far as I know, Now TV don't do broadband or phone - they are part of Sky.
    The other thing to look out for is the Now TV boxes with free passes. I had one a couple of years ago that came with 6 free 1 day sport passes, and you can use them when you want. However, if you get a free 3 month pass, it can't be stopped once it started.
    Your cheapest option might be to get a PVR for pause, rewind, and recording freeview channels (pretty much the same as Sky+) e.g. Humax, and a Now TV box for when you want to watch your team, buying a day, week or month pass as and when you need it depending which is most cost effective. You don't have to get the entertainment pass if you don't watch the sky channels. Might be worth considering PlusNet as they now do PlusNet TV which comes with a Youview box and access to BT sports for a monthly fee. They don't do Sky sports, but combining a plusnet box with a now box may be cheaper.
    Having said all that, bear in mind that the sports on Now TV are being streamed over t'internet rather than through a dish so there's always the chance of missing the game if your broadband goes pear shaped or is too slow.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals