Help with housing for 18 year old who can no longer live at home

Options
13»

Comments

• Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    she could look at supported accommodation for people 16-25 and apply to one of them. She would get support and be able to live independently

She's 18 and competent enough to be a full time student - why on earth would she need supported accommodation?
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    she could look at supported accommodation for people 16-25 and apply to one of them. She would get support and be able to live independently

She might look at it but whether she would be eligible may depend on the part of the country she lives in. In west London she'd be told to find a privately rented place and apply for housing benefit. There simply aren't enough places to go round.

You should encourage her to become more assertive, not something which usually bothers the 18 year olds I know.

Most bullies thrive because nobody calls their bluff.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    smiler34 wrote: »
    Hi all, I am asking for some advice for a friend. She has recently turned 18 and is currently living at home with her mum and little brother. The issue is she feels that she can no longer live at home as her mum is very emotionally abusive. She is not allowed to even leave the house without her mum's permission and her mum makes her go with her wherever she goes. I was wondering if anyone could advise me on anyone I could get in touch with who could help with housing etc.

Thanks

She can see somebody at her college. Not you, her.

As it is, there is 'I'm a prisoner in this house under lock and key' and there is 'Mum has told me that not contacting her to let her know where I am, then rolling in drunk at 4.30am on a Wednesday morning, leaving the front door wide open, tripping over the cat, and waking her and my little brother up before puking over the carpet is entirely unacceptable behaviour whilst she's paying to keep a roof over my head and buying me food and I've got my A Level exams starting in roughly 12 weeks, and expected me to come and help carry the shopping instead of going out again and even eat dinner with them rather than going to the pub and complaining there's no food when I got back the next day, it's SOOOOOO UNFAIR when I'm a grown up now and IT'S ABUSE, I TELL YOU'. Somebody at the college/school is more likely to be able to differentiate between the two and, if the former is true, provide all the help she needs.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    What Jojo said!

Teenagers are wonderful dramallamas. I know of someone who interfered in a similar situation and it broke the relationship between mother and daughter for a long time. They had no right to interfere and just walked away at the end leaving a godawful mess.

You can be a sympathetic ear but that should be all.
  • Brightonsbest_2
    Options
    Caroline_a wrote: »
    What Jojo said!

Teenagers are wonderful dramallamas. I know of someone who interfered in a similar situation and it broke the relationship between mother and daughter for a long time. They had no right to interfere and just walked away at the end leaving a godawful mess.

You can be a sympathetic ear but that should be all.

She is 18, what is stopping her from getting a priavtely rented property or buying one? Not sure where she lives but up north you can buy nice homes for 40/50 k unlike london
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    I worked in a 39 bedded accommodation unit for 5 years. It rarely had a space free for more than a week at a time. Some of the back stories were utterly horrendous. That was the 18-25 age group

Some teenagers might be drama llamas. Some are desperately in need of help and support.

As for buying a house. How is an 18 year old at college supposed to do that? (that's to one poster only)

I also had friends in my teens whose home lives were pretty much awful. Just because someone is 18 doesn't mean they are necessarily inventing abuse.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,356 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    When I was in the 6th form a fellow student had to move out and rent her own room. She found a job with more hours than the rest of us had but it ruined her (previously good) grades and she dropped out.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    She is 18, what is stopping her from getting a priavtely rented property or buying one? Not sure where she lives but up north you can buy nice homes for 40/50 k unlike london
    She's 18, i doubt she has enough to by a house yet

Christ i'm 30 and haven;t managed it yet :p
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Possibly the small matter of a deposit, a credit history and the wage to pay for it. All somewhat unlikely for an 18 year old still in college.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport