Daughter has discovered showers!

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Water Bills
6 replies 3.9K views
RavingMadRavingMad Forumite
427 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Water Bills
My eight year old has always shared a bath with her younger brother. Recently she's started to use the ensuite shower and loves it. So much so that I have to force her out after 10 mins for fear of the water bill rocketing (currently only paying £27pm)

I've always tried to preserve water i.e. Filling up a bottle of water whilst waited for the hot to come through etc so should I panic now that she wants to use the shower more often? I don't want to come across as a grumpy so and so :rotfl:

As a new build house, do I have the option of going unmetered? I'm guessing not? Should I just accept that I've been "underpaying" for years and this is just one of the factors of having kids :)

Replies

• SymanSyman Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    be thankful she wants to get showered. In my experience, my kids would rather do anything but..... and at least she is not running a daily bath, your water use will rocket then.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • RavingMadRavingMad Forumite
    427 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Yes, imo they're not quite at the stage of separate baths but not far off. So you do have a point there :)
  • Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Look forward to the washing of the hair.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could fit a flow restictor or Eco shower head to the shower to reduce the volume of water being used. Give her a timer as well so she knows how long she's allowed to be in there.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • coffeehoundcoffeehound Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    10 minutes' use of a shower will be a similar amount of water to a typical 'half-full' bath so probably not much difference there. Perhaps one of those economical shower heads that use less water would help?
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't have the option of unmetered water.

I assume that the shower is run off the gas central heating and is not an electric shower?

For cleanliness purposes it is not necessary to spend more than 3 or 4 minutes in a shower.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support