Ruby's Bought a House, Now I want to Own It!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
274 replies 13.6K views

Replies

• Fortune_SmilesFortune_Smiles Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you had a lovely social weekend.  But it is exhausting isn't it 😆  I was completely wiped out yesterday after two days of visits.  Admittedly we ate and drank quite a lot but still - I'm not sure I'm going to be able to cope with this real life malarky 😆

We done on getting into the next mortgage decade.  It does make such a difference.

Fortune x

Mortgage: 33% paid Mortgage Neutral: 59% Emergency Fund: 80%

Tales from the Shire
    All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
  • powerspowerspowerspowers Forumite
    337 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Congrats on going under £250k, that’s a great milestone!
  • South_coastSouth_coast Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done on the mortgage 🥳 And LISA 🥳 

And baby clothes are the best - the socks are my favourite and I'm the least broody woman ever 🤣
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you had a lovely social weekend.  But it is exhausting isn't it 😆  I was completely wiped out yesterday after two days of visits.  Admittedly we ate and drank quite a lot but still - I'm not sure I'm going to be able to cope with this real life malarky 😆

We done on getting into the next mortgage decade.  It does make such a difference.

Fortune x

I was never the most social of people in the before times, but I think I'm going to turn into a bit of recluse after this!  
    Emergency Fund - £6,100 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £3566.50
    LISA 2021 - £1671 :: NSD September - 2 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 35 / 58lbs :: Decluttering - 1177 / 2001 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐🏅🏅
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on going under £250k, that’s a great milestone!
    Thank you!

South_coast said:
    Well done on the mortgage 🥳 And LISA 🥳 

And baby clothes are the best - the socks are my favourite and I'm the least broody woman ever 🤣

Thanks!  I know, I was literally cooing at all the options 😂  DH thought I was crazy until I pulled up this set that was chinos with braces, a shirt and a bow tie - he's insisting we get that because it's the kind of thing the dad would wear so they can match (his words not mine 🤣)
    LISA 2021 - £1671 :: NSD September - 2 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 35 / 58lbs :: Decluttering - 1177 / 2001 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐🏅🏅
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My brain is going a little mushy because of work so I'm taking a break to look at more retirement planning options, and catch up on the Forums.  Have also finished a study on Prolific this morning that should pay me £6.50, so I'll be cashing out about £11 total when that goes through.

Really losing motivation today - only 5 more hours and then I can log off for the day 😳
  • powerspowerspowerspowers Forumite
    337 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I’ve struggled with motivation this week too! Tomorrow’s a new week 🙂
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Woke up to snow this morning 😲 which is still coming down, although it's starting to slow a little now.  Glad I decided to go for a "run" this evening when hopefully it's warmed up a bit.  

Spent all weekend doing absolutely nothing a[art from a trip to the supermarket, and it was blissful although I did start getting a little antsy yesterday afternoon so we did go for a short walk to the local shop so DH could pick up a treat for himself.  Then spent a few hours on the sofa looking at staycations for later on in the year and managed to book a lovely lodge with a hot tub (at DH's insistence) in Wales for 4 nights at the end of September.  Quite looking forward to it, plus the long weekend we have in Kent next week at the MiL's caravan.

Money wise, things are ticking along nicely; first deposit of the financial year is now in the LISA and I've cashed out some more money from Top Cashback and Prolific which should be winging their way to the emergency fund this week.  Have also decided to open a SIPP and stash away £100 a month in it for the foreseeable, just because I'm starting to stress a little about retirement, even though it's so far away.  I've mentioned before about not following in my parents footsteps when it comes to money and seeing my dad still working at 70 because he feels he needs to from a financial standpoint is just heart breaking to me.  He should be relaxing after working for 50+ years in a really stressful job but no.  So I want to try and stash some more money aside in addition to the LISA so I can survive the 8 year gap before I get my state and current workplace pensions.

On a personal note, I've decided to take up journaling again, as a way of getting stuff out of my head and help me process it all.  I said to DH yesterday that my mind was overflowing with stuff but not useful things and it's all just getting in the way so putting it all down on paper might help.  If anything it will help me use up all the notebooks that I seem to have accumulated - my SiL seems to buy one for me every Christmas so maybe she's been trying to tell me something all this time 😂
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Right S&S ISA opened instead as I want the freedom of actually being able to take the cash before 60 if I need it rather than maybe having to wait till past 60 if the retirement age creeps up again.  £100 going into it each month which I'll top up with additional funds as and when I can but focus is on maxing the LISA each year and trying to OP the mortgage as much as possible.

Fingers crossed that's a winning formula and anything else is a bonus.  

Right back to work!
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all!  Had a lovely weekend in Kent staying at the MiL's caravan.  Weather was lovely and we went for lots of walks and spent a fair amount of time on the coast.  All in all it was just lovely to spend some time in another set of 4 walls that weren't our house.  I even took my running stuff with me so I could carry on my C25K progress.  Actually did Week 5 Run 2 today before I logged on for work but now I want a nap!

DH decorated the spare room yesterday and it feels so much better in here.  There's a few patches that he needs to touch up and we need to get a new lampshade but apart from that it's pretty much done.  The only things left to do on the house are painting the kitchen, replacing the internal doors, getting some blinds and maybe getting some new carpet upstairs; so not a lot 😆

Money wise I'm waiting for the 1st to roll around before most of the payments clear and I can then make another OP to the mortgage but keep adding bits and pieces to the LISA and the EF and the first payment to the S&S ISA is going to clear tomorrow too, so that will be one more thing to track!