We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Wednesday Chatter -Social Injustice

Options
2»

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    edited 18 January 2017 at 2:31PM
    Options
    Angry_Bear wrote: »
    Hang on, what help do single women get that single men don't? I feel like I might be missing out on something :rotfl:

A quick one for you, in Lancashire where I reside there are:

1) The number of male refuges within the county that are open to male victims of domestic violence/abuse. And the maximum capacity they can take. Listing the number of in each borough/district and naming the borough/district
    There is currently no male refuge provision available in Lancashire
    2) The number of women refuges within the county that are open to female victims of domestic violence/abuse. And the maximum capacity they can take. Listing the number of in each borough/district and naming the borough/district.
    76 units available as follows:
    Lancaster 5 units
    Wyre 4 units
    Fylde 3 units
    West Lancashire 9 units
    Preston 15 units
    Chorley 3 units
    South Ribble 8 units
    Pendle 9 units
    Burnley 20 units

For avoidance of doubt 3/10 victims of domestic violence are men

Nationally there are c70 spaces for men in refuges and c4,000 for women.
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    For avoidance of doubt 3/10 victims of domestic violence are men

I'd expect this figure to be even higher in reality, there's such a stigma that few come forward.

I know a man who rang Women's Aid, to ask if they could point him to support for male victims. He was laughed at. You'd think they would want to help anyone, but he was made to feel like he was making it up.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Bogalot wrote: »
    I'd expect this figure to be even higher in reality, there's such a stigma that few come forward.

I know a man who rang Women's Aid, to ask if they could point him to support for male victims. He was laughed at. You'd think they would want to help anyone, but he was made to feel like he was making it up.

Yep happens all the time.

Services are improving in acting on abusers of men but are lacking so far behind in support.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Children providing care is something that really angers me. My parent was disabled and they would never have expected me or my sibling to care for them, that's not the childs responsibility. If someone needs help then they need to get it elsewhere, even if that means another adult giving up work or the disabled person having to go into care.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • System
    System Posts: 178,110 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I dislike how everyone has turned on each other. With all these benefit p*rn prgrammes its just fueling the hate :mad: . Someone at worked was on about one and saying how people are scroungers relying on benefits. I pointed out to him that actually previous to this job i'd spent 3 years on ESA as i was too ill to work and did he consider me to be a scrounger? :mad: he looked at bit shocked after that and tried to back peddle by saying he didn;t mean people like me. Its just the attitude people have. Its saddens me. We should support each other not turn on one another.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,110 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Children providing care is something that really angers me. My parent was disabled and they would never have expected me or my sibling to care for them, that's not the childs responsibility. If someone needs help then they need to get it elsewhere, even if that means another adult giving up work or the disabled person having to go into care.
    It saddens me when i watch shows about young carers or read about their experiences. :( They are just children but they have so many responsibilities. Its partly why i'm not sure i should have kids as i hate being a burden on anyone and i;d hate to willingly put a child into that role as carer.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It saddens me when i watch shows about young carers or read about their experiences. :( They are just children but they have so many responsibilities. Its partly why i'm not sure i should have kids as i hate being a burden on anyone and i;d hate to willingly put a child into that role as carer.

It saddens me too to see that too. its hard enough as an adult to be a carer.

Personally if I was disabled before I had a child then I would not even think about having children. As very unfair. A bit like if you have a hereditary condition. I would never take a chance as not fair on the child to grow up with the possibility of that over their heads.

Yours

Calley X
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family