🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Wednesday Chatter -Social Injustice

Options
Was having a discussion about the above with friends and one of my bug bears is child carers.

I think its wrong that childrfen are expected to sacrifice their childhood to look after disabled / infirm relatives. I think the Government should finance proper care packages.

What are your least favourite social injustices.

Comments

• tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Options
    BBH123 wrote: »

As opposed to my favourite social injustice?
  • LKRDN_Morgan
    Options
    BBH123 wrote: »

When Nestle discontinued the Secret chocolate bar. Part of my childhood gone forever.
    Unbelievable
  • AubreyMac
    AubreyMac Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    With child carers I think it does depend how much is expected of them. Help with reaching things using a step-stool even if its several times a day is acceptable I think as long as the child can maintain their own life too. I draw the line at personal care like bathing or wiping a parents a$$.

My least favourite social injustice is the lack of help that single people get, especially single men.
  • gabriel1980
    Options
    Probably making less money than people that stay at home on benefits with loads of kids.
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    Cadbury chocolate. Kraft, what have you done?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No No No

Toblerone is the real injustice on the chocolate front.

I do agree with Aubrey in that there are degrees of care. Reaching shelves etc is asking no more of a child than normal household chores. Caring is in my mind a totally different thing.

I saw a documentory where a child of about 9 was geting up 3 hrs before leaving for school to get parents washed , dressed, upright and fed before making a sandwhich for their lunch and a flask of tea, all before leaving for school.

He was then seen after school turning down a trip to the park to play football with friends because he had to get home to care for his parents again. This caring was 7 days a week.

When he was asked how he felt about it he said he was used to it as his parents were disabled his whole life.

I felt really angry based on the fact they had a child knowing it would become a carer ( obviously you only have to go by what the documentary tells you and apparently the mum was less effected /mobile when he was born but gradually got worse ? ?
  • Angry_Bear
    Angry_Bear Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    AubreyMac wrote: »
    My least favourite social injustice is the lack of help that single people get, especially single men.
    Hang on, what help do single women get that single men don't? I feel like I might be missing out on something :rotfl:
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
  • AubreyMac
    AubreyMac Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Angry_Bear wrote: »
    Hang on, what help do single women get that single men don't? I feel like I might be missing out on something :rotfl:

In a social level, any help available a woman will be prioritised before a man.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Disabled benefits claimants being treated like scum.

Also the endless stressful reassessments/forms/interviews, cleverly designed to 'prove' they're all faking it, one way or another. This government seems to have deliberately created a hate campaign.

Actually it's not just disabled people either. Now everyone is encouraged to snoop on their neighbours, and to see them with suspicion.
  • tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Options
    Angry_Bear wrote: »

They can get on lifeboats first :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family