PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Where do I keep my house deeds?

Options
I have recently finished paying off my mortgage and the bank are going to send me my deeds.

Where should I be keeping them safe?

Comments

• Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ours are in the box file with our passports and drivers licences. We still have a mortgage (have changed providers 3 times actually) and they won't keep them and our solicitor also refused to keep them.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My mum kept them in a fireproof box.

But is the property not registered with the land registry?
  • always_sunny
    Options
    Rambosmum wrote: »
    Ours are in the box file with our passports and drivers licences. We still have a mortgage (have changed providers 3 times actually) and they won't keep them and our solicitor also refused to keep them.

Isn't electronic?
    EU expat working in London
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    It's very unlikely that a mortgage taken out in the early '90s (and, presumably, a purchase at the same time?) wouldn't have triggered a registration with the Land Registry.

If the property's registered, then the deeds are no more than a nice-to-have historical footnote in the property's history file. Your record of ownership is the LR registration.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wait until you find out what "the deeds" actually comprise. They may be worthless.
  • Rambosmum
    Options
    Isn't electronic?

No. Big wodge of papers.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Rambosmum wrote: »
    No. Big wodge of papers.
    Sure, but are they a big wodge of meaningful papers, or is the actual record of your ownership electronic?

When did ownership of the property last change, and when did you last take out a mortgage against it?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    These days deeds are generally just of minor historical interest. I've had the paperwork for my last two properties even though they were both registered online, for the one I sold I passed them on to the new owners in case they want to look at who sold the house to who in what years.
  • Rambosmum
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Sure, but are they a big wodge of meaningful papers, or is the actual record of your ownership electronic?

When did ownership of the property last change, and when did you last take out a mortgage against it?

Yes, it probably is but that isn't what always_sunny asked and isn't what the OP asked.

I keep the papers because I like having them, and I don't keep them in a fire proof box as I doubt they have any actual value/ importance beyond social history interest.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    "The deeds" aren't necessarily just about ownership, they will often include statutory consents, guarantees etc, which can be useful to keep (but I wouldn't be paranoid about it as generally copies can be obtained if yours go astray).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport