Vandalism - Dash cam advice

Options

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Jamiesmum wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies.

The sound on my laptop has been mashed since I got it so can't watch youtube. Is it not what I think it is, then?

A CCTV camera is a great idea, I didn't think it was legal to have it facing onto a street/road though ? If I'm wrong we can get one!

Which cameras are decent that have parking mode, please? I assumed at the cost, nextbase would have. Oh dear

Don't think that is correct looking at this

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/domestic-cctv-using-cctv-systems-on-your-property/domestic-cctv-using-cctv-systems-on-your-property#general-guidance
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The 412 has parking mode so it would only take images when it detects movement of the car, which means that the battery will be fine and the card won't fill up - you'll probably find that the images taken when it does activate in parking mode are automatically protected anyway.

However, it does mean that you have to leave the cam on display when the car's parked, which may increase the risk of break in and theft. I remove mine (a 212) when parked and hide it.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can fall foul of the DPA if you position a CCTV so that it captures anything that is not on your private property.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do we really need another Dashcam thread in an irrelevant forum?

There are tons of them, right up to date and a flaming Sticky in the appropriate forum!
  • neilmcl
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    Do we really need another Dashcam thread in an irrelevant forum?

There are tons of them, right up to date and a flaming Sticky in the appropriate forum!
    This is a thread about a specific point, not just some general dashcam thread!

Also, why is this forum "irrelevant"?
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    edited 16 January 2017 at 3:15PM
    Options
    See: https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/cctv

"
    What if my camera captures footage of individuals beyond the boundaries of my property?

You must consider whether it is necessary for your camera to operate beyond the boundary of your property.
    If your camera covers, even partially, any areas beyond the boundaries of your property, such as neighbouring gardens or the street, then it will no longer be exempt from the Data Protection Act (DPA) under the domestic purposes exemption. This does not mean that you are breaching the DPA but it does mean that you might need to take some steps to comply with it."

If someone complains you will need to comply with the DPA. That could mean putting up signs that there is CCTV, who the operator is and how someone might get access to the data under DPA, registering as a 'data controller' and paying £35 pa to do so. Basically a load of faff when all you are trying to do is protect your property. Might be best just to aim it at your front garden but so that it also covers your car and see if anyone complains.
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    So in reality, everyone who has a dashcam installed in their vehicle and recording other persons, vehicles etc. out of the windscreen (front and or back) is potentially in breach of the DPA?
  • neilmcl
    edited 16 January 2017 at 4:41PM
    Options
    So in reality, everyone who has a dashcam installed in their vehicle and recording other persons, vehicles etc. out of the windscreen (front and or back) is potentially in breach of the DPA?
    Dash cameras are not classed as CCTV, as they're not fixed for monitoring a specific area. In effect they're no different to you whipping out your phone and taking mobile footage in a public place.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Dominic Littlewood program on around midday had a piece about flytipping and a resident had 2 CCTV cameras looking up and down the lane outside her garage which caught a flytipper in action. The council used her footage to successfully prosecute the offender. No signs I noticed, and no apparent DPA issues with using the footage.

It's near the end of the episode, as I only saw the last 10 minutes or so after getting home.

Caught Red Handed, Series 4: Episode 11: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b074bpz7
    ====
  • neilmcl
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    The Dominic Littlewood program on around midday had a piece about flytipping and a resident had 2 CCTV cameras looking up and down the lane outside her garage which caught a flytipper in action. The council used her footage to successfully prosecute the offender. No signs I noticed, and no apparent DPA issues with using the footage.

It's near the end of the episode, as I only saw the last 10 minutes or so after getting home.

Caught Red Handed, Series 4: Episode 11: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b074bpz7
    And the homeowner could well of been complying with the DPA by using correct signage etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure