PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Am I the only person without a microwave?

Options
My kids were telling me last night that they literally don't know anyone else who doesn't have a microwave. DS1 said at uni he had to ask someone else to show him how to use the one in halls, and they couldn't believe it.

I've never liked the idea of them tbh, I think it weird how they work. I'm a full time housewife so never too short of time to make something the old fashioned way, that said I really wouldn't want one even if I did work.

Am I the only dinosaur left without one?

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,267 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You were until my DD visited with new baby in tow and wanted to heat his bottle in my [non existant] microwave

They bought poor old grandad a microwave, more for self interest I guess, but it has been used by me over the intervening 13 years and I have just used it to soften some butter for fruit cake recipe on here

They have their uses for speed, quick zap for frozen peas for instance, but should it break, like you, I will survive without it
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Use mine everyday for the best scrambled eggs. My parents microwave from Bejams is now over 35 years old and still in use every day.
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't have one either. When my last one wore out I decided not to buy another and don't regret it at all. I have to be more organised but that's fine. Grand daughter luckily is a calm baby and will wait for her bottle.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,267 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Not just scrambled eggs, porridge is good too. The best thing is you can cook it in same bowl so eases the washing up
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ewww! Scrambled eggs and porridge in the same bowl, what kind of food S&M are you into?:rotfl:
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought one two years ago only because I suddenly found myself living alone and thought it would be cheaper than putting my oven on, just for one person.
    I really only use it to part cook jacket potatoes occasionally. My daughter uses it far more when she's home from Uni than I do.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I lived without one until a couple of years ago. One day I was moaning to a friend of mine because of the kitchen behaviour of someone who was staying with us. I would leave him ready made food because he often came back late and we ate before him. More often than not I would find burnt food sticking to the pan after he had reheated his dinner. My friend said: why not just get a microwave and leave him his dinner in a bowl, ready to reheat? So I did and never looked back.

I don't use it for my cooking, I hate microwaved food, but occasionally will use it to defrost or reheat something when I am in a hurry. Now that I don't have house guests I hardly use it, really, but as it is a good brand I will keep it in case I get students or do airbnb in the future, which is something that might be on the cards.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't be without mine; it's a micro/combi, and I use the convection function a lot - it's cheaper than putting the big oven on, also the big oven is gas, and I'm scared of it.

But I do use the microwave function for
    • Softening butter for cakes etc
    • Cooking rice
    • Melting chocolate
    • Part cooking root veg before roasting
    • Re-heating tea that I've forgotten to drink
    • Heating up wheaten bags to put on my painful back and joints
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Parents have never had one. We do- but because parents didn't, I only got used to them once with OH. Ok that's been 12 years now but only 1/3 my life
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh my goodness. You should have known my Dad.

As a man of his generation, (born 1914), he was completely UN domesticated, (forgive my tablet, he had nothing to do with the United nations). When we were growing up he could boil a kettle and that was about it.

At 70 Mum was diagnosed with dementia so he was her sole carer and homemaker. I have never admired him more. With a lot of help and me issuing instructions on the end of the phone, he taught himself to cook, clean, wash, iron nd even sew - although he was mightily relieved when I introduced him to wundaweb.

He was also the original cheapskate and when he discovered how much cheaper on electricity it was to cook in the microwave there was no holding him. He used it for everything possible, his syrup sponges were legendary. Between the microwave and the freezer he was a happy bunny.
    After Mums death he continued to cook for himself until he died aged 97.

He also grew enough fruit and veg for half the neighbourhood, but that's another story.

Me, I use it for eggs, beans, melting chocolate and warming my wheat pad before I go to bed.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business