PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Well I've certainly learned about micro climates today, I'm amazed. Still cloudy and warm here but it's been a busy morning for once so it's passed quickly.

All this talk of making lollies has got me thinking I'm sure I have some moulds somewhere. I used to make 24 at a time for the children and think I saw them at the very back of the cupboard where I keep the Tupperware style containers. Fancying a lolly and have some apple juice that would be perfect.... :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    Good Evenin' Oneskis :D

I've been rather 'good' the last couple of days actually eating salad type stuff with one thing or another.

Went and did a big shop the other evening as the cupboards were bare and treated myself to some fresh fish :). I didn't buy anything sweet other than yoghurts so I am a chocolate/biscuit/cake etc free zone. If a sweet craving hits me I have wholemeal bread, unsalted butter and marmalade to see me through ;)

I haven't read the last page/s of this thread but hope all is well with you all :)
    That's sounds promising - hope you are getting your mojo back :)
    ..and I'm just grinning ruefully thinking "I wish I'd known about caron's idea of soaking paper before disposing of it - ie to obliterate the text on it". That would be before I painstakingly shredded absolutely loads of paperwork with a little manual shredder:(

I'm now frequently using the tips from here of putting something to defrost on metal and it defrosts much quicker. Also the idea of cutting cheese into 1" chunks (before putting in box in freezer). I found those cheese chunks do defrost very quickly anyway. Also been doing the grating the Parmesan straight from the freezer one.

So it's all proving useful to know.:)
    I've picked up so many tips on here - always good to share collective know-how :D
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Poor you these wee home shredders are such hard work. Once the stuff has had a good soak if you squeeze it into ball or brick shapes and let them dry out they make great firelighters for woodburners or bbqs. I'm hoping to bbq in a couple of weeks when both my boys are home so will make some.
    Oh it can.

It's a bit of a lifesaver to me - coming from somewhere with better weather than here.

I know I can travel to somewhere else (ie a location I like anyway) that's only about 2 miles away from here and chances are that the weather will be a bit better than here. There's also a location a 20 minute bus trip from here where the weather tends to be that bit better too (ditto a location I prefer to here).

On the other side is a local friend who also moved here and I have a "standing joke" comment about "Oh - that house is at ****** location. That explains why it's cheaper" and we both groan at just how bad the weather is known to be there. Also another location walking distance from my house has weather so bad that it's the unwary incomer that would buy a place there in the summer - as everyone lays bets as to whether they will put the place on the market again after their first winter there.

It's surprising just how there can be a different micro-climate not that far away. Mind you there are those of us that never really believed weather could be that different elsewhere in the country - until we moved elsewhere in it.....ahem....cough....Just thankthelawd I didnt pick ******* location my friend and I joke about (though it's too remote for me to have considered anyway) and the walking distance worse location would be possible but more hassle than where I am.

Oh well - at least the stain in carpet came up okay thankfully. I did manage to finish sorting out all my food supplies and they are now SO logically laid-out - vinegars all together, oils all together, grains all together and in alphabetical order, etc, etc. Pasturesnew would be proud of the logical thinking here - before she started telling me it was too "modern food" for her taste LOL.
    Loads of micro climates around here - I'm used to it now....;) Glad the stain lifted:D

Had a lazy morning and a leisurely breakfast of toast & banana, a flat peach and a small glass of tomato juice so off to a good start F&V wise today. Lunch was a re-run of yesterday of a ciabatta roll with roast pork, rocket, coleslaw and a handful of radishes (unfortunately bought ones - mine are being very slow to form though a few are looking promising). Not sure about tonight possibly chicken wings :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 17 June 2017 at 2:10PM
    Options
    The whole area where I am is windy. What I'm used to is occasional mild breezes and the very occasional gale. What I get now is very frequent wind and pretty frequent gales (cue for me now knowing why some metal garden furniture is advertised as coping with heavy winds - as I had to get rid of the standard metal furniture I had and buy the "heavy duty" version instead:(). I also bought a heavy-duty umbrella that says it's capable of withstanding bad winds since moving.

I sympathise re the winds - as wind is my most "unfavourite" weather I think. I know you also hate it. My particular house cops it to a large extent - but it's positively sheltered compared to when I get to the main road into town and I'm "blown to bits" there pretty frequently. I am now used to looking windblown rather frequently....

I don't like grey skies either and....you guessed it....

Thankfully today - it's hot/blue skies/calm/dry - whew!!!!! Thank goodness....been out once already today and must do some gardening later.

Lightning nearby like that as a frequent thing sounds pretty worrying.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,236 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Now put some Worcester sauce on the cheese as well and that would be my idea of heaven :)

Damn. wish I had thought of that. Another oneski tip filed away for the future

PN I did warn you about the Lidl weekend, yours sounds a hell on earth like mine. Which is why I never bother regardless of the bargain offer to be had

Micro climates, I live about 10 miles inland, hill between me & sea, and South Downs between me and t' north, like Guildford ;)

Very noticeable weather difference, seeing cars coming down with snow on them for instance. The daffs are guide, always a fortnight difference between coast & me, and e again once over the Downs

Meanwhile it is blooming melting hot & sunny here, should really be a salad but I have the cod from yesterday in fridge, so will use one for fish N chips dinner, freeze the other

I woke very early, 4AM, moon was shining in, no hairs on back of hands yet though. I got up and took a photo of moon, and yet again it was rubbish, but one day I'll get the good un

Did spot of volunteer gardening, than a hot mooch about this morning, only a lettuce and some bashed YS bananas, rest not worth buying and I have enough food to last in this weather

So hot I had a pint of soda & lime in the pub instead of coffee, just the job

No breakfast but did have a bacon bap while out and talking in a cafe and collecting my father's day card, so sort of brunchy

Lunch was the promised banger baguette, using the opened bangers & BBE bake it yourself broken baguette

Dinner as mentioned will be Fish & Chips, maybe open another tin of beans or nuke some peas, not sure, but beans would carry over for maybe more beans on toast some day soon

Garden more watering when it cools down a bit, and about 70% sure I have embryo grapefruit now, well done those bumble bees
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afternoon everyone,

I hope that you are all enjoying the weather.
    PN- It's a bit too hot for me as well today.

Apart from getting my own breakfast of yoghurt, berries and a banana I haven't has to do anything food related so far today other then eat it.

I've been out with my brother's family and our visitors to a few different placed that we all know well but that I haven't been to for a number of years.

We went to the seaside at lunchtime and had a bar meal in a pub (air conditioned I'm pleased to say) :) And then a walk along the prom and an ice cream for pudding.

We have come back to my brother's now and just had afternoon tea and are all going out for a meal later.

I could sure get used to this not having to worry about food, and just sit down and have it provided especially in this hot weather.

Tomorrow will be much of the same. I shall miss this next week when I have to get back to CFO.
  • caronc
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    Farway - fingers crossed re your baby grapefruit
    Holly - sounds like a lovely day, I bet your family enjoyed your baking:)
    PN- sounds like a decent pizza well worth the money:)

Plans to garden this afternoon went skew whiff when my balance decided it wasn't playing :( so ended up mainly horizontal for most of the afternoon. Did manage to sort out my bed linen though, I had far too much so a bag has been made up for the charity shop. It's all now neatly folded in the wardrobe space I cleared the other day :)

I've chicken wings out for tonight which I'll have with the 1/2 baked sweet potato I froze a few weeks ago, a corn cob and probably some mushrooms. I've got a bag of diced pork cheek out to defrost for tomorrow that had been in there for ages so that will getting popped in the slow cooker with with thai red curry paste and coconut milk first thing.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 17 June 2017 at 7:25PM
    Options
    Thankgawd for decent weather today and it's an enormous relief to me personally to have some reasonable weather at LAST - and I'm full of plans now for how to maximise food output from the garden/hide neighbouring eyesores (yep...I'm now in a "loadsa concrete/barren/barren etc type area" as regards peoples personal gardens - so there is a lot of "greening" to do on my own garden to ensure that that at least doesnt impact on me personally).

At long long long blimmin' last I feel like I might start "reaping my reward" for an enormous amount of money on the one hand/effort on the other hand. Astonishing just what difference a bit of decent weather makes.....and I'm heaving enormous sighs of relief right now....whew! whew! whew!.

I've got enormous amounts of strawberries to find a use for right now - and I am not going to put on my dehydrator in current weather. I've given away absolutely loads/loads have gone into t'freezer and I've now got loads more....thinking cap on as to what to do with them for the best? If I was heading off towards voluntary work stuff I'm doing tomorrow - then I'd just put them out there in bags with a note on saying "Pay what you feel". But next voluntary work stint is some days away. Suggestions on a postcard please - as it seems a shame to waste them....

Think I should get me a fig tree right now. Dual purpose - of a bit of screening (to give me some more privacy in the garden/block out a bit more "eyesore" stuff) and any figs I get from it should come in handy for "summat or other". Wondering what is the best type of fig tree to cope with "blimmin' weather" I get here???? All suggestions welcome - and reminding myself that at least I don't have to put up with the midges I keep reading about north of t'border....

That's my personal take on things, ie it doesnt matter if I land up getting loads of some "crop" or other - as I'm guessing I'll find some use or other for it and it won't go to waste.

Just feeling a little bit celebratory right now - that I am making a bit of visible progress - before I tackle what's left to sort out.....

Time for dinner I think....before I get on to "planning big time" re what's what on the food front now that I've got a more usable kitchen.
  • caronc
    Options
    Thankgawd for decent weather today and it's an enormous relief to me personally to have some reasonable weather at LAST - and I'm full of plans now for how to maximise food output from the garden/hide neighbouring eyesores (yep...I'm now in a "loadsa concrete/barren/barren etc type area" as regards peoples personal gardens - so there is a lot of "greening" to do on my own garden to ensure that that at least doesnt impact on me personally).

At long long long blimmin' last I feel like I might start "reaping my reward" for an enormous amount of money on the one hand/effort on the other hand. Astonishing just what difference a bit of decent weather makes.....and I'm heaving enormous sighs of relief right now....whew! whew! whew!.

I've got enormous amounts of strawberries to find a use for right now - and I am not going to put on my dehydrator in current weather. I've given away absolutely loads/loads have gone into t'freezer and I've now got loads more....thinking cap on as to what to do with them for the best? If I was heading off towards voluntary work stuff I'm doing tomorrow - then I'd just put them out there in bags with a note on saying "Pay what you feel". But next voluntary work stint is some days away. Suggestions on a postcard please - as it seems a shame to waste them....

Think I should get me a fig tree right now. Dual purpose - of a bit of screening (to give me some more privacy in the garden/block out a bit more "eyesore" stuff) and any figs I get from it should come in handy for "summat or other". Wondering what is the best type of fig tree to cope with "blimmin' weather" I get here???? All suggestions welcome - and reminding myself that at least I don't have to put up with the midges I keep reading about north of t'border....

That's my personal take on things, ie it doesnt matter if I land up getting loads of some "crop" or other - as I'm guessing I'll find some use or other for it and it won't go to waste.

Just feeling a little bit celebratory right now - that I am making a bit of visible progress - before I tackle what's left to sort out.....

Time for dinner I think....before I get on to "planning big time" re what's what on the food front now that I've got a more usable kitchen.
    Glad your getting there :D
    Use your excess strawberries to make strawberry vodka or gin :cool: it's easy and really lush and makes a great pressie as well. Add a minimum of 500g chopped strawberries to 1L of booze cheap stuff is fine. Keep in a cool, dark place (not the fridge) giving it a shake every couple of days. After 4-6 weeks strain through fine cloth and add 100-150g sugar (depending on how sweet the fruit are) dissolved in 250ml of water, shake well. Leave for a few days then strain and bottle. Can be drunk straight away but better to sit for at least month - it's lovely in a tall glass with soda and ice:D
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all,

It's already hot and sunny here this morning.

I'm going to do some scrambled egg on toast in a minute for breakfast. I fancy that this morning. Then I am being picked up by my cousin.

Lunch will be whatever we all grab while we are out. As it's fathers day and we are not booked in anywhere I think it will be where ever we can get a sandwich.

This afternoon we will go back to my brother's and my SIL is going to do a cold buffet. There are some nice established trees in my brother's garden so I will be able to sit under one of them in the shade.

PN that pizza sounds lovely and well worth the price. Have a good day if you do decide to go to the beach.
    caronc I hope that you have a better day today.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 June 2017 at 8:21PM
    Options
    It's warm here.

I've made four rounds of sandwiches, so if I do randomly decide to go out that's ready to grab. Just basic sandwiches, 2x tomato, 1x cheese/tomato, 1x cheese/pickle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure