PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    I once managed to superglue a large piece of cardboard, my thumb and finger together trying to make a fancy dress costume for one of my boys, ex-OH was very amused until despite our best efforts we couldn't get it to unstick - one trip to A&E and the very painful loss of skin later...........:o

Brings to mind the time I got my mouth stuck on the metal ice cube tray. I was young, it was hot...thought it might cool me down.

Needless to say I ripped the skin off my mouth rather than make a fuss...blimey that hurt!
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 March 2017 at 10:28PM
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    I have all the mutiny's on planner

I've no idea what that is, I'm assuming it's some modern recording system.

I've got a tiny portable running on an internal aerial. Telly donated to me 4 years ago, aerial from Asda and a £15 Asda freeview box.

Life's ... a bit basic chez moi, in all aspects :)

I've got a little whiteboard from Poundland beside me - and I try to scribble down programmes to not miss ... if I miss something that's my lot, I've missed it and there's no going back. I miss a lot of things simply for having no idea when/which channel they're on.

I also "lose" channels when the telly re-scans the freeview stuff .... I've lost the Yesterday channel this week, which is a nuisance I'll have to fix at some point.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options

I've got a tiny portable running on an internal aerial. Telly donated to me 4 years ago, aerial from Asda and a £15 Asda freeview box.

I've got a little whiteboard from Poundland beside me - and I try to scribble down programmes to not miss ... if I miss something that's my lot, I've missed it and there's no going back. I miss a lot of things simply for having no idea when/which channel they're on.

I also "lose" channels when the telly re-scans the freeview stuff .... I've lost the Yesterday channel this week, which is a nuisance I'll have to fix at some point.

oh its nothing special and yet a godsend :) just a button that keeps the stuff I want somewhere ...goodness knows where...which means I can watch it when I am not stuck in a hotel or on the road somewhere. Just catching up now on Broadchurch and the the Replacement
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Been up for an hour not eating yet just two cups black coffee. Cod Loin out of freezer will have it baked in foil with wedges peas and carrots.
    Slimming World at target
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 15 March 2017 at 8:37AM
    Options

TV re-scanning Freeview at intervals. I didnt know that happened - I wondered where some of my channels had gone (ie after the tv got set up by a friend when I moved here). I think I'm going to have to get to be a bit more tv-literate...ahem...:o. How often would you say they re-scan like that?

Re missed tv programmes - ahem....and I've still not got my video fixed-up since moving here (my excuse yer honour is I've been doing all sorts else - like gutting the house whilst still attempting to live here). So - I've discovered the tv companies are a lot better than they used to be at sticking a wide range of their programmes up on Iplayer or the ITV equivalent and I often watch programmes that way if I've missed them "in person".

NB; Don't anyone tell me what the latest episode of The Replacement is like - I've yet to watch it. I think it's her with the starey eyes (aka the replacement) "wot done it" and she's mad (but hiding it well - except from poor original woman). But - don't anyone tell me - I'll probably watch it this afternoon....
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 March 2017 at 1:48PM
    Options
    TV re-scanning Freeview at intervals. I didnt know that happened

How often would you say they re-scan like that?
    Mine autoscans at 3am every night (bl00dy annoying when I'm watching something!) - I've been meaning to google to see if I can change that.

Also, when the aerial loses signal it'll also retune - and I moved the aerial the other day to watch another channel and after that when I was flicking round my usual channels it'd lost signal on some channels so it auto-retuned itself immediately and now I'm missing some channels (including Yesterday which I watch a lot).

I've not eaten today, I'm in the middle of going through some old recipe books and sticking stickers on pages where photos look nice :)
    That's as far as most of those will get - I do like looking at pictures of food.

I stick the stickers on to remind me to "eat something like this" rather than denoting "follow this recipe".

To me, photos and recipes are just "general ideas of types of food to rustle up". After that I wing it.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Mine autoscans at 3am every night (bl00dy annoying when I'm watching something!) - I've been meaning to google to see if I can change that.

Also, when the aerial loses signal it'll also retune - and I moved the aerial the other day to watch another channel and after that when I was flicking round my usual channels it'd lost signal on some channels so it auto-retuned itself immediately and now I'm missing some channels (including Yesterday which I watch a lot).

you can do it no problem just go to menu and settings and auto tune and un check it then you can just tune every now and then if a new channel comes along or whatever. I have the tv in the bedroom on manual retune only too thanks to the fact it usually turned itself on to do its stuff about 3am :mad: Let me know if you struggle for some reason I do know how to do this if needed :)

Afternoon buddies hope everyone is well :) I am just getting ready for my trip to Nottingham tonight but did manage a cheese on toast :)

no spoilers from me moneystooshorttoomention that would just be cruel :)

Gorgeous day here today and if it wasnt for my trip I think I would be heading into the garden for some Vit D and maybe a first tan of the year. Hopefully this bodes well for the rest of the year as I am all for upping my 200 a day (or whatever it is today) with some fruit in Pimms :beer:

Have a great day everyone and catcha all later :)
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No I like my comforts - need my nice PJs (after all a fire alarm might go off......:rotfl:) and used to like to take a bath bomb or similiar so I could have a nice long soak in the bath..........:)
    I keep telling Mr LW we need to take our dressing gowns when we stay at hotels, but he won't listen. Just in case of a 4am fire alarm; rushing outside skyclad is not something I want to have to do! :eek:
    and not forgetting the mini bottle of red or a can of ready mixed G&T:eek:
    When we stayed in Brugge for our honeymoon we decided we wanted champagne to have in our room - hotel was charging 66 euros a bottle (sorry can't quickly find the euro symbol on the netbook) so we went to the local Sp@r, bought a bottle for 15 euros, and snuck it up to the room. :D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 15 March 2017 at 2:29PM
    Options
    Its okay Nelski - I've now watched it. Oooh...she's pure evil isnt she? I was literally holding my breath hoping things would work out okay...

Re the Freeview retuning - I'm now wondering if my friend that set it up originally for me when I moved here put it on manual returning and that's why I've not got some of the channels. I know there's one error there in the way he set it up - ie putting it on Channel 4 brings up the Welsh tv channel, rather than Channel 4. So it's got the main stations still and all logical, ie BBC1 is on 1, BBC2 is on 2, ITV - on 3 and then he went wrong and I have to go to Channel 7 to get Channel 4. As the handset has given up working anyway - I think I need a tv repair shop to come in anyway now (ie to give me a new handset). So I'll get them to put the channels right for me whilst they're here.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    oh its nothing special and yet a godsend :) just a button that keeps the stuff I want somewhere ...goodness knows where...which means I can watch it when I am not stuck in a hotel or on the road somewhere. Just catching up now on Broadchurch and the the Replacement

The best bit I find is the pure joy of whizzing through all & every ad break on playback, must add years to my useful life by removing the boring bits, cuts a one hour ITV programme to about 45 mins, great stuff & worth every quid for one :j

I never watch live TV now I find I an record and skip all the junk, including the "previously on XXXXX" and "coming next"

Back to CFO, fried egg sarnie again for breakfast, getting to be a habit, I do that sometimes, go mad for one thing, then go off it for ages

Lunch was cheese toasted in a toasty pocket, an impulse buy, never had them before, and never will again, that's me done on them

Dinner is the other Broc & tom mini quiche, probaly with oven chips 'cos they can both go in the oven together, may bung some halved fresh, but slightly wrinkly, toms in at same time

Now sun is out and like spring, so off into garden for a spot of very light gardening
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure