Options

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Should be for BT HH

http://192.168.1.254/
    or as on your hub instructions/ password card .
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    That's because 189 should be 192. (Perhaps that poster has changed the default addressing for his HomeHub).

One would hope not, as IPv4 addresses beginning with 189 are not RFC1918.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    VoucherMan wrote: »
    Another one to add to the list :wall:
    Is that to go along with PAC code? :D
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    One would hope not, as IPv4 addresses beginning with 189 are not RFC1918.

Perhaps so, but for a LAN behind a router does it really matter? :)
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Perhaps so, but for a LAN behind a router does it really matter? :)

Only if any device behind the router ever wants to reach any WAN IP address in the public subnet that has been assigned on the LAN side of the router, because they won't be able to.

I encountered this in a real world installation about 15 years ago, the way someone had their router configured knocked out an entire /8 of public addresses and rendered them unreachable from his LAN.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • andromedean
    andromedean Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2017 at 8:40PM
    Options
    esuhl said
    I wrote a batch script to do this. It pings your router and a couple of websites, logging when disconnections occur and whether it's you're local network connection that has failed or your internet connection.

Just create a plain text file with the .BAT extension and paste the code below. You'll need to set the IP address of your router in the "User-changeable variables" section in the first few lines. (And you can also change the default log file name/location and the web servers used in the test if you like.)

Just double-click the .BAT file to run it, and leave it running.

OK, I've done that, presumably I can just leave it running for a few days or until I get a dropped connection with my computer turned permanently on?

It said

Ping test started
    Access is denied

a few times now it's going through a loop saying

ADSL is online
    waiting for ....seconds

then counting down then repeating
  • andromedean
    edited 9 January 2017 at 8:44PM
    Options
    I've managed to found the log, but it's quite extensive. What am I looking for? Not sure if printing everything here would be secure or useful in distinguishing what sort of fault is causing the disconnection

I notice it says NTP synchronization success about once a day and some days NTP synchronization start and NTP synchronization success a few times a day.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ah sounds like the dreaded issue that many BT Infinity users are being plagued with. The solution is simple, ditch the BT Homehub and go buy a TP-Link TD-W9980.

What happens is for whatever reason there is a bug in the recent firmware updates which causes the connection to drop. Its just the latest in a long list of problems. Mine used to drop every night at 2am for around 10 minutes.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just double-click the .BAT file to run it, and leave it running.

OK, I've done that, presumably I can just leave it running for a few days or until I get a dropped connection with my computer turned permanently on?

Yes -- you can leave it running all the time. If your speakers are on, you will hear one beep if the internet cannot be reached, and two if the connection is down. The beep(s) repeat whenever the connection status changes.
    It said

Ping test started
    Access is denied

Access is denied? Ah! There's probably a restriction on writing files to the root of the C drive. You could run the script as administrator (via the menu you see by right-clicking on the .BAT file), but it would be better to change the location the log file is saved to by editing the

to (so "My Documents" or whatever) by editing this line:
    set LogFile="[B]C:\PingTestLog.txt[/B]"

a few times now it's going through a loop saying

ADSL is online
    waiting for ....seconds

then counting down then repeating

Yes -- that's as intended. It should test your internet connection every 20 seconds (by pinging google.co.uk and google.com). If the connection is down, it will keep pinging every 2 seconds until connectivity is restored.

When the script starts, it tests both LAN (router) and ADSL (internet) connections and displays the results (e.g. "LAN is up / ADSL is down").

"ADSL online" means that both the LAN (router) connection and your ISP's internet connection are working. If the internet cannot be reached, both LAN and ADSL are tested, with appropriate messages displayed, and then the script repeatedly tests the internet connection until it is restored -- it doesn't actually check the LAN at this point.

So "ADSL down" means that the internet cannot be accessed. You need to scroll up to see whether a "LAN is up" or "LAN is down" message appears.

However, you don't need to sit in front of your PC monitoring the messages or listening for the beeps -- they are only there so you can see what's happening. A log file will be created for you in the specified location. It gets overwritten each time you run the script (unless you rename it), and simply logs when the connection drops and is reconnected.

Hmmm... I should probably tweak the script a bit to make it more logical...
  • andromedean
    Options
    It seems to work without denial if I run it as an administrator, but refuses to write it to any directory without doing this.

I've not noticed any dropped lines since I've started running this. I have noticed the problem often occurs often after a period of not using the computer for a few hours, but it can happen anytime.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure