IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

Motorists facing further hikes to fuel prices - but you can drive down the cost

in Motoring
20 replies 2.4K views
The price of fuel is at an 18 month high and experts have predicted that the cost of both petrol and diesel will rise yet further this month - but there are manoeuvres you can make to drive down the price you pay at the pumps...
Read the full story:
'Motorists facing further hikes to fuel prices - but you can drive down the cost'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• BeenThroughItAllBeenThroughItAll Forumite
    5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see MSE are yet another group who don't understand that 'North' is a big place... Maybe try breaking that up a bit?
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The same applies to Scotland ... despite what the BBC weather map might try to infer, the land mass of Scotland is almost 65% that of England.
  • motorguymotorguy Forumite
    22.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of our three cars, the most economical does 25mpg.

Fortunately we dont do big miles, and i dont begrudge any of them a penny of the fuel cost.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    motorguy wrote: »
    Of our three cars, the most economical does 25mpg.

Fortunately we dont do big miles, and i dont begrudge any of them a penny of the fuel cost.

Sounds like you are having way to much fun!

Cheers
  • VT82VT82 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Fill up on holiday. Stats produced by the RAC (below) highlight a significant difference in the average fuel price between the regions. That’s great if you live in the north of the country where prices are lower – but not so good if you reside in the south-east where prices are significantly higher.

If you happen to be driving to a part of the country where fuel prices are cheaper than where you live make sure you fill up before you come home to save money.

The biggest average difference in fuel prices in mainland UK in the table is 1.03p per litre. In other words, the same difference you might get between two forecourts on opposite sides of the road. Hardly worth making specific holiday plans around :rotfl:
  • facadefacade Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought the most obvious way to reduce what you pay would be to take up the sport of bilking :D

"Buy it where it is cheaper"
    "Don't use as much"

Rocket Science eh? :rotfl:
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    13.8K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our local garage charges £1.22 per litre for diesel.

50 miles away 2 garages charge £1.24

80 miles away diesel is @1.16 per litre

A bit more than £1.03 difference.
  • facadefacade Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    sheramber wrote: »
    Our local garage charges £1.22 per litre for diesel.

80 miles away diesel is @1.16 per litre

so if you can get 60 mpg the round trip to fill up would use 12 litres, and you would need to buy 232 litres of diesel to break even on the saving....:cool:
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can fuel be more expensive? Just checked back and there are numerous threads by the MSE team saying fuel is now cheaper, month after month...

Regional differences equate to around 50p per full tankful difference... (Ignoring NI). Slightly more for petrol and slightly less for diesel.

Use less and spend less? Sister was shocked at how little she saved with a 5p/L off voucher. She went out of her way to save under £2. She didnt work out whether she did actually save anything with the added distance/traffic and
    time.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• TheShapeTheShape Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Sister was shocked at how little she saved with a 5p/L off voucher. She went out of her way to save under £2. She didnt work out whether she did actually save anything with the added distance/traffic and
    time.

She must have had some idea how much she might save?!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides