MSE News: British Airways cabin crew to strike after rejecting pay offer

Some British Airways staff will strike for 48 hours from Tuesday 10 January amid an increasingly bitter pay dispute...
Read the full story:
'British Airways cabin crew to strike after rejecting pay offer – your disruption and cancellation rights'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• If your flight is delayed or cancelled and it's the airline's fault, you can often claim up to £520 per person in compensation under EU regulations (see our Flight Delays guide for full info). But BA has confirmed it won't be paying compensation to passengers for flights that are delayed as a result of the strike. This is because it would be considered to be outside the airline's control and so isn't covered by the EU rules.

Your staff, your problem - pay up !
  • PaulC5PaulC5 Forumite
    189 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hope it doesnt roll into Friday 13th. Im off to Dubai via Heathrow.
  • CKhalvashiCKhalvashi Forumite
    10.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on BA's side on this one.

The contract is nowhere near as bad as either the crews or union are making it out to be, and 2% is much better than most have been given this year, which for fairness is split evenly throughout pilots, cabin crew and I believe ground crews.

I understand that some other costs have gone up (mainly as a result of the pound), but that's hardly BA's fault, is it?
    💙💛 💔

Please note: All posts on Coronavirus legislation refer to England unless specified otherwise.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
  • edited 5 January 2017 at 4:34PM
    boatmanboatman Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 January 2017 at 4:34PM
    By all accounts they are getting around £18,000, made up of basic pay, flight pay(£3/hour) and commission. The flight pay varies, depending on how long your trip lasts, one day you'll do a couple of flights to Europe, another day it will be 3 days away. While you are away, you have to pay for all your food. Can get expensive if the hotel is a bit isolated and you have to pay silly money for hotel food. To be honest you would be better off living with your parents on min wage!

A 2% pay increase on a pilots wage is somewhat different from someone on min wage. BA are making a very good profit, there is no reason their public facing staff should feel the need to have to strike.
  • CKhalvashiCKhalvashi Forumite
    10.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's fine, but cabin crew don't have the £1000+ monthly loan repayments to make.

Also, in the case of the very junior SH Captains, they're not actually that well paid compared to elsewhere. The difference in basic is IRO £20k less than EasyJet and for the reasons you describe the costs of actually doing the job are higher too.

Ok, there is the increment, and ok Captains being as junior as a few are have always been a rare situation at BA, but that's the way it is at the moment,
    💙💛 💔

Please note: All posts on Coronavirus legislation refer to England unless specified otherwise.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
  • boatmanboatman Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    CKhalvashi wrote: »
    That's fine, but cabin crew don't have the £1000+ monthly loan repayments to make.

A lot of them probably will have car loans because they will travel to Heathrow at strange hours of the day and night. If you live local its £600 a month for a room, and you still need to pay for transport out of Heathrow, or own a car and drive further out. Takes a big chunk out of the salary.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals