Free car parking

Options
Next time you buy a pay and display ticket and you return to your car with say still an hour remaining on the ticket, why not pass it on to the next person. I always do this if I can and quite often people have returned the favour. So spread the word and soon everyone will be doing it and then maybe next time you use a pay and display, maybe, just maybe you'll only have to do the display bit!

Comments

• scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    Options
    The terms and conditions of most pay and display car parks say you're not allowed to do it.... but most people do anyway.
  • walkera_2
    Options
    oops - I wasn't aware of this. I'll stop immediately!?
  • farquarpigmix
    Options
    Our local council has got round that, by making you tap in 3 numbers of your reg plate. :( cunning little devils.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's ridiculous they don't let you pass on your ticket.

You're paying for the right to use that space for the length of time you pay for. If I want to leave early and let someone else use 'my' space then so be it.

If I want to rent a space and sit in the middle of it on a deck chair, that's up to me, and I'll blooming well pass my ticket on to the next deck chair weilding patron/patrons.
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    Options
    oops - I wasn't aware of this. I'll stop immediately!?

no need to stop, just don't get caught
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    .........or you might get an accountant telling you the error of your ways ;).
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If there's no-one around to hand it to I normally stick it on the ticket machine so when the next person comes to buy their ticket they see it.

Rich
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • jonifen
    jonifen Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    Our local council has got round that, by making you tap in 3 numbers of your reg plate. :( cunning little devils.
    they do that near my Mum's... Sefton Council??
    They didn't think about those with new reg plates... 50 cars in the carpark could have 51/02/52/03 etc in their plate :)

But where I am in Rochdale, I've been given tickets and I've given them away too - its a good idea, seems a shame to waste the extra time left... may aswell let someone else get the benefit.
  • simonkirkland
    simonkirkland Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    In Bromsgrove we have to type in the whole number plate...!!!

It causes huge queues as older folks can't work it out and the number of people I have seen queue and then when they get to the machine realise they don't know their number plate... It's normally the people with posh/newer cars... !?!?! which makes it even more entertaining...:p

Simon
    If at first you don't succeed... CHEAT...
  • littlereddevil
    littlereddevil Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    Options
    RichyRich wrote:
    If there's no-one around to hand it to I normally stick it on the ticket machine so when the next person comes to buy their ticket they see it.

Rich
    I always do this as well :rolleyes:
    travelover
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills