We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

Options

Comments

• Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning Everyone
    Well done CAFCGirl knew you could do it. A big 'Well done that girl' to you. And isn't it great that you found such a good neighbour. I think when people see you trying they often offer to help.
    I know I should encourage you all to spend but I had an email from T & M this morning with a one day offer on a range of seeds for 50p a packet. I just got £34.80 worth for £6.95. Here's the link:
    https://www.thompson-morgan.com/10-packets-of-seed-5gbp?source=newsletter-seedoffer240617&&utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TNE1083Z%2010%20packets%20for%205%20seed%20240617%20(2)&utm_content=&pid=24556561&cid=19358988&brand=3&spMailingID=54348323&spUserID=Mjc4NDU5NTkzMTU3S0&spJobID=1184013979&spReportId=MTE4NDAxMzk3OQS2

Some lovely seeds in the range - might be worth taking a look and stocking up for next year.
    All the best.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Wasn't really planning on being in the garden today, but that's where I ended up - which is just as well as a WWII Hurricane flew low over the neighbourhood (on it's way to or from a BBMF engagement)

With the excitement over I picked my Senshyu onions as some of them were beginning to look a bit iffy and picked some Radar onion scapes. I've also start pruning herbs in ernest - I got a food dehydrator so drying herbs is now my latest craze

Not much on the slug front here at the moment although I can tell they're around

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And it is done!

I now have one very smart, marked out, covered, sectionned pumpkin patch complete with pumpkins in it :)

Also planted in some of my patty pan squashes in the dead inbetween space in the pea/bean trellis.

I also came home with a punnet of raspberries and a punnet of gooseberries.

Getting that section done has given me quite a boost. Visited the stores and paid my yearly membership. The kind chap also gave me some chitted potatoes from their competition spuds that were left hanging around (it was a grow in a bag and the bags all get split at the annual show and prizes for the greatest yield), so I'm going to chuck those in a couple of bags for DS to tend.

Also removed the sheet off an old bed that was dug over last year but I didnt have anything to do in it so we covered in a plastic sheet and left it. Today we built a double size pallet collar surround and my next goal is to do a no dig bed on there with newspapers from the chicken coop, chicken bedding (and manure), some green waste (have to chop back the leaves on the artichoke plants anyway) and then some compost on top of that and then find something to sow in there.

Checking everything else over, the onions are doing well, fruit is all ticking along nice - i deserve danger money when it comes to picking gooseberries though! Squashes look ok, kale seems ok as do the cabbages - still need thinning again mind you. Strawberry beds are now completely dead (very unproductive this year so I think they're expired now) so they need pulling out, the beds sorting and new plants putting in.

So a very productive plot weekend all in all.
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    Well done CAFC girl.!!!

Its days like that when it makes it all worthwhile. Sounds like you have made a huge difference.

I came home with 3 punnets of strawberries, a small punnet of raspberries, lettuce for tea and a small red onion which when skin was removed looked like a white onion lol Whats that all about?

Managed to lift all my overwintered onions. There are loads!! I might have a go at french onion soup.

Tomatoes are just turning colour and hopefully will be picking them next week. Got half a tray of leeks planted out. I find that such a long job......will have to get the rest in later in the week.
    Planted out my cuttings of clematis but although the plants looked healthy enough.......there were no significant roots on them so not holding out much hope.
    There is going to be a bumper crop of brambles (blackberries for anyone thats posh) Really must make some wine this year.
    I need to have a go at making smoothies as well so I dont waste any of the lovely berries. :D
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • Fruittea
    Options
    Morning All
    Well what a difference a week can make. So pleased to read back and see what you've achieved CAFCGirl and you to Kantankrus.
    It is so rewarding when you feel you're on top of things and it will save your families hundreds of pounds over the year.

It's even quite nice to have the odd glut. My overwintered onions are now all ready and the spring ones grown from seed are coming along nicely. Last year I did a batch of caramelized onions to use up the ones that wouldn't keep. I put the slow cooker on the back step to avoid the oniony smells in the house and left it on all day - and then bottled them.

I'm still tackling the front garden. I've just planted everything everywhere and will see how it shapes up. Couldn't resist putting in the odd pumpkin so I have a couple of Paris reds climbing an obelisk and on old trellis - so we'll see.

I'll pop down to the plot to do a bit of weeding and watering some time today depends on the weather.

Well done to you CAFCGirl for turning things around - I did a little rain dance for you when I read your post.
    Happy growing.
  • CAFCGirl
    Options
    Fruittea wrote: »

Well done to you CAFCGirl for turning things around - I did a little rain dance for you when I read your post.
    Happy growing.

I will most gladly take that rain! We have two water butts at home which are used solely for the seedlings out the back and any plants which get put into the garden to help them settle (I don't water them after that). We are now bone dry in the water butts and have been for about 3 days...:eek:

Today will be spent going through the seed box :A

Happy growing to all
  • Fruittea
    edited 28 June 2017 at 10:41AM
    Options
    Morning all
    Well the rain dance seemed to work! Light showers in the night and more rain to come later on in Gloucestershire and then on and off all week. So that's great.

Just sown a few more climbing beans for me and a neighbour down at the plot - so we should have beans very late in the season. Having a lazy day today and just sorting out pots as I have a swollen arm from a nasty bite on my elbow. I'm sure it was a horse fly.

Never mind it will give me an opportunity to draw up some plans for planting and layout for later on. I have to remember not to use the space where I got onion rot for any other alliums.

I checked the pumpkin bed yesterday and they are setting nicely and I also have courgettes ready now - so great.

Vegetable shopping this week is just tomatoes and mushrooms and fennel. I'm trying the Natoora Sicilian Datterini tomatoes this week - they're on offer and if like them I will save the seed.
    Happy growing.
  • CAFCGirl
    Options
    Fruittea! The rain danced worked! It feels glorious to have the air cleared and the smell of wet earth!

Im hoping it encourages another spurt of growth.

Ive been through the seed box and pleased to report I have plenty of things still to sow, some which can overwinter. Plus plot neighbour is doing my fence this week - HUZZAH!
  • Fruittea
    Options
    Morning Everyone
    It's a nice cool day here in Gloucestershire. I'll be doing a couple of hours paid work this morning so that suits me.

So pleased to read CAFCGirls update - you'll soon be reaping the rewards of your labour.

There's still time to sow things - I'll try fennel in the row where the first earlies were. Do some now and again in about 3 weeks time as they tend to all come at once. And I haven't put my leeks in yet they're still in a tray and I have some lettuces to go in to - must get to them.

It's also time for me to go into the attic and sort out all my mason jars and get ready for some pickling and bottling. I always leave it to the last minute but this year i want to be prepared and make sure I have all the right lids etc.

The rain has been good but I bet the weeds will have come out in force - so a bit of weeding for me I think.
    Happy growing.
  • CAFCGirl
    Options
    Had some decent downpours of rain this week, which makes the plants grow - whether theyre desired plans or otherwise :rotfl:

Up to the plot for me this weekend.
    I got sent a video last night of the tremendous fence my plot neighbour has put up for me. He's even hung my plot number sign (I hand painted it on an old slate roof tile) on the gate he's made for me :p

So I definitely need to go and check that out.
    Plan of attack for this weekend is to get the sweetcorn in and clear another double pallet pollar bed area.

But first, coffee and porridge.

Happy growing to all :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business