Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Options

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,599 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good to see you back safely LL. Looking forward to hearing about your trip. :)
  • Ellsbel
    Ellsbel Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome back LL:D:hello:
    Glad you had a good time. Sorry about the filling though!
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Welcome back LL, I hope you do not have any more trouble with that tooth and good to know that you had a good holiday

Hello Ladies,

Wayne is no more in my life. There was no point in trying to continue our relationship as last weekend he reverted to the type of behaviour that I simply would not tolerate. I just decided that there was no need to talk it over with him it was jut time to let the relationship die a natural death. :)

I am loving the hot weather here in London, even though I always suffer from sun stroke with high temperatures. Great to get the opportunity to wear my Ralph Lauren Polo sunglasses or my Calvin Klein sunglasses. :cool: Working as a cleaner in such hot temperatures is a challenge, but I am drinking lots of cold bottled water as I work and the Sixth form College has really good air conditioning.

The forecast for Saturday is actually 30 degrees! :eek: I will not be rushing around the 5 KM course on Saturday for Race for Life. I also need to apply my Factor 50 sun lotion and take plenty of ice cold bottles of water. I am still looking forward to taking part as I want to do my small part to raise funds for Cancer Research UK. :D

I will not be working next week as it is half term and I am really looking forward to having time to enjoy the good weather. :D
  • maman
    Options
    Isn't it strange how sunglasses make us feel really glamorous compared with prescription glasses! We love wearing our Raybans don't we ellsbel?:cool: I only need prescription glasses for distances so I just use them for driving and watching sport. I used to wear them for tv but don't need them now TVs have got bigger!:rotfl:
    I have an optician's appointment tomorrow so hopefully there will be little change.

Good for you drinking lots of water sugarbaby. very sensible and healthy.

I bought a dress on impulse yesterday. Not expensive from New Look. Black, short strappy with an embroidered hem. Unfortunately the fit is really poor so it'll have to go back.:( There seem to be alternatives on the website so I'll take it back to the bigger city branch and maybe exchange it for something different.

I had the shellac removed yesterday and made an appointment for the day before my holiday (3 weeks today:j). I'm pleasantly pleased with the condition of my nails but I gave them a good treatment of cuticle oil last night and I'll do the same daily. I have a white pencil which I can just scrape under the tips to give a French manicure look while there's no polish.

Still lovely and warm here but sun not out yet. The good weather really lifts my mood. More dancing tonight. I'm definitely not wearing tights. On Saturday, a friend complimented me on my brown legs. I admitted it was fake (thanks to the Palmer's Cocoa Butter) but she said it looked good anyway. So I might wear a just on the knee skirt today.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello all,

Now back from our break in the Cotswolds, the weather could hav been better and typical that this week is sunny and warm but we had a fab time and made the most of every day. The cottage was lovely with all the home comforts so a good base to got back to every evening. I ate and drunk whatever I liked and have put on a couple of pounds but hey, life is for living. Was pleased with my capsule wardrobe of blue and cream with red & teal accents, it all worked well together and made packing easy. I do find myself looking at ladies of my age more and seeing how they dress, some are good, some not so but interesting to observe.

Off to the hairdressers this afternoon, have left it for as long as possible but it desperately needs a cut, still working towards the new style and the sides are growing down nicely so looking forward to seeing how it will look later.
    We are off to the theatre later to see 'Fracked' at the Cambridge Arts, not sure what I will wear as my legs certainly aren't ready yet to be on display, think freckly and white :o, so might have to resort to Navy cigarette trousers with a dressy top.
    Love the dresses Indie especially the one you have chosen for the wedding, perhaps some wedge sandals if the weather is good, lots of standing around you might need something more comfortable?
    Sugarbaby sorry to read about you and Wayne, tough one as clearly a connection but respect is everything in a relationship. Enjoy your time off.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The healthy eating/economy drive begins....... :rotfl: ......my cruise was such an eye opener. I have come back committed to some serious lifestyle changes.

So........I have Just stocked up at Aldi - lots of meat/fish/fruit/veg and fresh herbs, plus red wine - good for the heart, cut roses - good for the soul........ ;) and some bedding plants for the garden

Well ........I saw some sights on the cruise I can tell you......

Heres what I learned.... my comments may sound harsh but I'm being truthful and objective.

Being fat is neither chic or elegant, it is practically impossible to look good when you are seriously overweight.

Fat people are unhealthy and can't walk very well. I lost count of how many overweight people were reliant on walking aids - men and women both. And they were not old......not in their 80s or 90s but in their 60s and early 70s. Many had already had knee and hip replacements and coronary bypasses.

In all cases they were several stones overweight. Most had huge waistlines, the most dangerous place to carry weight. It's all visceral fat which leads to heart attacks and strokes. They were walking timebombs.

Sorry but the Fat people I saw simply ate too much......they piled their plates, and went back for second and third helpings at every meal. I have never seen such gluttony. It was obscene. No excuse.

The Fat women of a "certain age" had just given up, they had no pride, and no dignity. They were also obviously deeply unhappy. The fat men were no better. All the fat men looked like slobs, dishevelled and unkempt. The word "grooming" is obviously an alien concept to both sexes.

I have never seen such unhappy, miserable, grumpy couples, constantly bickering, nagging and b I t c h i n g with each other. They were all heading for years of ill health, diminished mobility and early graves. No wonder they were all so miserable.

I felt like giving them a good shake and telling them to wake up and smell the coffee.

Sugarbaby......you gave Wayne a second chance. He blew it. You deserve better. Remember our mantra ......."better no man, than the wrong man".

None of us should ever put up with second best, with people who treat us badly.
  • maman
    Options
    LaineyT wrote: »
    We are off to the theatre later to see 'Fracked' at the Cambridge Arts

I saw that a couple of months ago in Guildford. I'm sure you'll enjoy it:). It stars Anne Reid and James Bolam. Apparently he got involved in something similar in RL where he lives.

As you know I'm an avid people watcher and also just as censorial as you LL! I'm afraid that I probably would have been one of the people with a plate piled high:o but for me it's a treat to indulge a bit on holiday. I think one of the reasons we have the obesity crisis is that people (including children sadly) now eat every day things that used to be treats whether it's sweets or fizzy pop or wine.:o I think that's why I find the SW plan so useful. It gives a guide on how many 'treats' you can have in a week and still lose/maintain so you have to prioritise what you enjoy most.

Glad you had a good time in the Cotswolds Lainey. I'm fortunate and we can go there in a day. A few months back DH had an appointment in Cheltenham so I went with him and we visited Burford (for a cream tea) and Bourton on the Water. I just love the atmosphere that the stone buildings create.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ah thank you Maman I knew someone on the boards had seen the play but couldn't remember who :)
    Like you I also like to indulge on holiday, think cream teas, wine and ice-cream :D but then rein back in when I get home, a few days of low carb and a couple of 16 hour fasts and the extra pounds will be gone. Think it helped that we were walking a lot every day, I did take my pedometer with me and with the exception of the day we drove down my daily steps exceeded 10k throughout.
  • indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good to hear everyone's news, glad you enjoyed your travels LL and Lainey

Went to work in one of my new dresses and got complements on it which is always nice.

Feeling a bit subdued now though - was sad enough hearing about the dreadful terror attack in Manchester this morning, but then heard this afternoon the friend I mentioned who had cancer has passed away.

I suppose if nothing else, sad days like this emphasize the need to make the most of every day we have.
  • savingfortomorrow
    savingfortomorrow Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 May 2017 at 9:26PM
    Options
    indie i am sorry to hear of the passing of your friend.
    I feel saddened about all the terrible terrible events in Manchester. It is truly awful.

I am glad lessonslearned you got home safely and you speak a lot of truth. I see so many people who do not prepare themselves well for aging and retirement. Some people have issues with weight, alcohol or drug dependency, they seem to age faster and have a frailty. Being too thin or heavy can be a serious issue on long term health outcomes.
    While it makes me think ..... I need to really act to get moving and lose a few kilos
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure