PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options

Comments

• Slowdown
    Slowdown Posts: 575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all

Make do - with my old but useable walking boots instead of requesting replacement for a Christmas present.

Mend- just like JackieO, mending my ways!!

Minimise - my stock of apples. I stewed the cooking apples picked yesterday and stirred in a couple of spoon full of mincemeat. It is the most delicious taste. Yum

Happy MMMing to one and all. :T
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Make do - took lunch into work and used to bits of salad to have with couscous. Saved me buying money by not buying lunch and more nutritious

Mend - my back with stretches and exercise

Minimise - the ironing pile. Now have clothes to wear.
    Also the understair cupboard was tidied and some rubbish thrown away and found some items to ebay.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Slowdown: I just wan to say, that whilst appreciating your sentiments, having serviceable walking boots is so important!
    I don't mind shabby tops, but soles and inners must be comfortable and support your feet, and they must do up properly so your ankles are supported.
    What I do is ask for boots as a gift so that I always have a walking pair that may look shabby, for 'real' walking, and a 'good' pair that I wear if we are walking around a town. They then get moved on when the shabby pair no longer support my feet properly.

I'm sure, as a member of this forum, that you are sensible as well as frugal, but wanted to highlight, as walking is such a good form of exercise!
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Many years ago I bought a pair of walking boots in the US. I didn't wear them when I got home as I had another pair but when they'd had their day I got my US ones out in desperation as I thought they looked like divers boots! They have been brilliant and are sooo comfy and warm - and waterproof. They'll be back in use over the winter.
    Today's plan is to help DGD write a CV, photograph some more items for Fleabay and hopefully get out and prune and weed in the front garden. Caught a cold on holiday which has turned to a chesty cough - just entering into third week now so I'm finding my energy levels a bit low but I'll hit what I can on my list!
    Not sure which bits are MMM though lol.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    By the way made the gipsy tarts yeatserday and the boys wolfed them down Thanks for the recipe :):)
  • carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    By the way made the gipsy tarts yeatserday and the boys wolfed them down Thanks for the recipe :):)

Glad they liked them, can you believe they were school dinners in Sittingbourne in the 1960's!
    Carolbee
  • Slowdown
    Slowdown Posts: 575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jackyann wrote: »
    Slowdown: I just wan to say, that whilst appreciating your sentiments, having serviceable walking boots is so important!
    I don't mind shabby tops, but soles and inners must be comfortable and support your feet, and they must do up properly so your ankles are supported.
    What I do is ask for boots as a gift so that I always have a walking pair that may look shabby, for 'real' walking, and a 'good' pair that I wear if we are walking around a town. They then get moved on when the shabby pair no longer support my feet properly.

I'm sure, as a member of this forum, that you are sensible as well as frugal, but wanted to highlight, as walking is such a good form of exercise!

You are so right Jackyann. The soles and inners are fine and they are v comfortable. I just thought that I was probably wanting new ones because I've had these many years and they've covered many many miles. We have a caravan/mobile home on the Jurassic coast in Devon and walk long distances. As soon as these become worn inside or uncomfortable I shall be getting new ones. Just thought I could wait longer than Christmas. And given my soon to be unemployment I think I can wait for a sale! :)

Make do - with no shopping for next week except milk and fruit but devise a menu from the cupboards and freezer.

Mend - the hole in my yoga pants

Minimise- find more to eBay

Have a good day one and all :T
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning chums , batch cooked all the odds and ends of lamb I found in the freezer overnight in the slow cooker and it will make once cooled down about 5-6 individual instant ready meals for me. If I see odds and ends of stewing lamb y/s I buy them and freeze until I have enough for a big pot in my slow cooker .My kitchen smells delicious at the moment I added a few carrots and some diced red onion and a dollop of lazy garlic and a tin of chopped tomatoes along with one of the packet sauces I found from my stash that I unearthed from various cupboards a few months ago Voila a big pot of lamb stew :) Once cold I will top each portion with cheesy mashed potatoes and then once cold return them to the freezer a stash of instant ready meals for very little outlay. I costed up the meat veg etc and each meal works out around 70p so with added steamed veg should be well under a pound a pop including possibly a pudding of some sort :)My kind of meal from the freezer for when I am tired after a long day out or looking after my three DGS.
    so making do and minimising in one go :) No mending today but I will probably do some knitting this afternoon I am doing a stripey blanket at the moment using up odds and ends of different coloured wool for my Linus Trust charity blankets .
    I am awaiting a big box of squares to be delivered from a local charity called Making Miracles as I volunteered to sew them together for them to be sold on a stall at the local hospital.I went to The Big Knit at Rochester cathedral last Saturday and it was great fun and everyone clicking away making the squares.
    Hope you all have a good and frugal day

JackieO xxx
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Afternoon All

Make do: leftover sausages and baked beans gone into sausage and bean casserole with some chorizo,garlic,tomatoes and a cull of the tins of various beans in the cupboard. Enough for about 4 meals for two of us in the freezer.

Mend: Tangle as below?

Minimise: Cupboard stores to above. Also sorted my cable stash into toilet roll holders and labeled them all so now I don't have to hunt for the correct cable connector

I'm also giving my dining room table and chairs a spruce ready for the hospice collection next week. Fingers crossed that they will take them as its a large table!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • cafelady
    cafelady Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello all. Not posted for a while but been following along.

Made do with the veg we had in and cancelled our veg box for the coming week. We're usually really good at using it all up each week but this week had chard, kale, broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower plus some squashes and parsnips from previous week hanging around. Also still working our way through the last of our courgette glut from the garden.

Minimised the broccoli and half a giant mushroom into a cheese pasta dish last night. The cauliflower will disappear into an aloo gobi tonight along with the chard which will get added to a split pea dal.

On Sunday I stretched a ys pack of organic mince into 3 meals for 4 - stuffed marrow (from aforementioned glut, it was a courgette that raced ahead), bolognese which is in the freezer, and chilli. As some of the ingredients were homegrown, onions, courgettes, garlic, and the meat was reduced, I reckon we got 12 meals for about 70p per head.

That's all for now. Hope everyone's well!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport