PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options

Comments

• villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Slowdown was it Gypsy tart. I think it was mainly in Kent that it was a popular school pudding. It is a pastry tart with boiled condensed milk and very sweet.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    You can still buy Gypsy tart in Kent.I''ve even seen it in supermarkets. It is very very sweet.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm sure you are right I live in Kent and its often on sale locally I don't like it much myself as its too sweet for me I am more of a berry crumble person and adore lemon meringue pie as well :):):)
  • Slowdown
    Slowdown Posts: 574 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well Gypsy tart sounds like exactly the right thing:T
    Boiled condensed milk is precisely the taste I remember. Well done for putting me straight on that village life. I wouldn't mind a bit just for old times sake. I might see if I can find a recipe for it. (Or better still get the MIL to make it!)

So today...
    Make do - with leftovers for lunch

Mend - not a thing (again)

Minimise - the paperwork on my desk. Reduced a pile by putting it away in the right places. :D

Hope you've all had a better day than the weather has.
    :)
  • carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Slowdown wrote: »
    Well Gypsy tart sounds like exactly the right thing:T
    Boiled condensed milk is precisely the taste I remember. Well done for putting me straight on that village life. I wouldn't mind a bit just for old times sake. I might see if I can find a recipe for it. (Or better still get the MIL to make it!)

So today...
    Make do - with leftovers for lunch

Mend - not a thing (again)

Minimise - the paperwork on my desk. Reduced a pile by putting it away in the right places. :D

Hope you've all had a better day than the weather has.

Gypsy tart is evaporated milk and brown sugar. If you want me to pm you the recipe I'm happy to do so. We used to have it for school dinner!
    Carolbee
  • Slowdown
    Slowdown Posts: 574 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 October 2017 at 8:04AM
    Options
    carolbee wrote: »
    Gypsy tart is evaporated milk and brown sugar. If you want me to pm you the recipe I'm happy to do so. We used to have it for school dinner!

Oh yes please. I would love to try it. Thanks carolbee.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Evap milk is a good bit cheaper in Aldi's and lidls if you are making it :) 45p a tin. My DGS like it but I have never made it as I'm not keen ,but would appreciate the recipe carolbee :) I use evap milk when making a big rice pud in the slow cooker.

Making do with food from the freezer for the foreseeable as I want to defrost my freezer.

No mending today but I am off to The Big Knit at Rochester Cathedral tomorrow morning and will join in lots of other knitters in making some charity squares for blankets tea ,coffee and biscuits provided :):) Knitting and nattering what could be nicer :)

Trying to minimise some of my paperbacks to my friends this afternoon I am off to History club and have a few to pass on to others there.

Then a Charity quiz tonight I feel like a mouse on a treadwheel sometimes and this week especially has been quite manic and I have hardly been home at all :) still I never have time to get bored with life

Have a good weekend chums
    Take care

JackieO xx
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    Been away on Hollibobs for two weeks so will try to catch up over the next few days
    Re darning socks - I take a 7 1/2 shoe so I used to poke my toe through ladies socks. I now keep a look out for men's small size as they start from 8! Maybe not pretty but so much more comfortable!

Home bargains do a 3 pack of really fab, black, mens socks for £1.99 :money:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This makes two supermarket ready made pastry cases full

2 ready made pastry cases
    1 small tin evaporated milk, well chilled
    250g soft brown sugar, I use light

Preheat oven to 150c/300f/gas Mark 2
    Whisk milk until it begins to thicken
    Add sugar and continue to whisk until thick and creamy
    Pour into cases and bake for approx. 15 minutes, until set

It is really sweet and sickly and lovely!
    Carolbee
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Minimise:

Two small jars used from stash for red chilli jam, made today. It’s yummy but HOT :shocked: – and that’s without the chilli seeds so I’m glad I didn’t leave them in. :D

DH’s hair: I cut it for him every month using his hair trimmer as he hates having to wait at the barber’s – apparently a common thing where men are concerned. ;) He’s happy with a buzz cut and it saves a few £££s too. :):)

Bits of paper with hastily scribbled recipes written on them gone from top of microwave after copying said recipes into “my” cookbook.

Make do:

A holey rubber glove cut up into bands that will make good plant ties for next year.

Mend:

Not strictly mending but it doesn’t fit into either of the other two categories – all pieces of cardigan now knitted so spent last night weaving in the loose ends. Once I’ve sewn in the (raglan) sleeves I’ll knit the neck and front bands so it [STRIKE]should[/STRIKE] might be finished by the end of this weekend. :D
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport