PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options

Comments

• ScarletRibbons
    Options
    Yes, we shred everything, even just names and addresses, can't be too careful.

Mind, I have a friend who doesn't believe that identity theft happens, says it's a myth. They just put whole documents etc in the relevant container.
  • Katieowl
    Options
    crazytree wrote: »
    Dog toys need to be mended again. New hound is super-destructive with toys, she likes to open them up and remove their insides :eek:. And she looks sooo sweet!!!

Hahaha I just gave one of mine a new toy, less than ten mins, the stuffing is all over the floor, the squeaker is killed, half the face is missing and she's busy chewing a rope leg off. She loves them just as much when they are flat and will play with them even when they are reduced to shreddy bits of rag :rotfl:
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Make do - I used up a bag of salad into a soup. It was actually quite tasty.:)

Mend - I need to fix these things that keep coming off my kitchen cabinet doors, latches? but the plate on two of them keep falling off.

Minimise - this talk of dog toys, I will go through the box and throw away any of the almost eaten ones. She ignores them at a certain point if they are too ripped to pieces.:D Dog basket also to be given away, although I'm not sure who would take it.
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    make do....used up more turkey in a stew this time, it was lovely with dumplings! mend...sewed dogs toy up again and repaired daughters cashmere gloves...minimised some mince pies(again!).....
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    .:D Dog basket also to be given away, although I'm not sure who would take it.

If you have a local dog rescue, they almost certainly would, lots of breeds have rescue organisations where dogs are fostered in private homes, rather than in kennels. Facebook may be a good place to find details.

On my own front, I've had several book/unwanted item collections from the British Heart Foundation, as you can organise a home collection from them. More are planned. I have five huge shelves of books, plus a large corner of a kitchen worktop taken up with cookbooks. The problem for me is that most of my books are non-fiction. For example, a few years ago, I was only teaching maths, but kept my English grammar textbooks. Now I'm only teaching English, and have a big stash of maths books unused.
    There isn't much I need to look up for either subject, tbh, but there's always someone who asks an awkward question. Online sources aren't infallible, but books tend to have been thoroughly proofread.

I don't trust any of the doorstep collections, as they are almost inevitably scammers. I've read that some have crime links, stealing bona fide collections, fronting bogus charities, etc.
    The bags are good for rubbish, and for the BHF collections, though.

Bottle of unwanted hair conditioner left with a friend, following her visit. She brought some fragranced talc, but it will be used.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    House Elf, I am another Laundry Gloop fan. One of my five minutes' of fame was on Martin Lewis' spot on the Jeremy Vine Radio 2 lunchtime show, some years ago, when I gave out details of using gloop.
    There is, or was, a Laundry Gloop thread on here, but basically it's a finely grated 100g bar of soap dissolved in a litre of hot water in a large pan on the stove, with 8 oz of washing soda crystals added and dissolved, then 8oz of borax substitute ditto (optional).
    Cool slightly, pour into plastic bucket with lid, or similar, and add 5 litres of warm water. Leave to form a jelly-like substance, the 'gloop'. Add a cupful directly to the washing machine drum, on top of clothes.
    To wash clothes effectively, you should be able to rest a clenched fist, with thumb raised, on top of the clothes in the machine. Any fuller, they won't be cleaned properly.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • house_elf
    house_elf Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    Options
    mcculloch How fab to have been on the same programme as two such legends! I keep trying to convert my friends to ‘gloop’, but they think I am mad! We did make it at school, for a science project......I met an ex pupil recently, and she remembered making it. She thought it would be good if more lessons were fun like that. :jShe still has the soaps she made with me too. :D

Make do: Took small bottles of wine and plastic wine glassses to the panto for interval drinks. ;)

Mend: will be mending DD broken heart after breaking up with long distance BF.

Minimise: DH was on a roll yesterday. He has emptied a box of old certificates the children have brought home from primary school. More shredding, and certificates reduced to a couple of folders.

Have a lovely day :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good Morning chums ,today is definitely a decluttering day at my house so
    Minimising is top of the list this morning

Making do with left overs that I brought home from DDs yesterday, and will peel some of my sprouty spuds and boil and mash them ,what's not used tonight for dinner will go into my freezer for another day.

Mend: well I must if I get a chance fix the loo roll holder in the bathroom.Its a case of using an allen key to remove the outside covering then tightening up the inside screw.Bit of a fiddly job that has to be done every 6 months or so or the loo roll ends up falling off the bar . Its been getting more and more droopy over the past week or so and its one of those jobs I keep putting off as its so fiddly, but it really must be done so that will be sorted after lunch ,hopefully :):):)
    Hope you all have a productive day The weather is appalling at the moment pouring with rain so no reason to go out and get soaked :)

take care chums

JackieO xx
  • savingpennies
    Options
    I've not been contributing much recently: holiday of a lifetime in October to China, new kitchen installed and assignments to get in for MA. I returned to find Autumn had set in and I had left lots of pots outside that needed bringing in, the garden needed sorting for the winter and somehow Christmas was upon us and I had not planned anything.
    Make do: For now I have lots of leftovers to sort: We have already had ham/turkey pie and turkey curry. The leftover curry is boxed and ready for the freezer, an extra ham/turkey pie is going to my mum's later today and I have another for the freezer. What turkey is left, is being bagged and frozen for a later date. The broccoli has been turned into soup with some leftover stilton, and the carrots have also become soup.
    Mend: I've somehow managed to pull the runners off that the salad drawer runs on in my new fridge:mad: I've now got to work out how to get them back on. Annoyingly, there's an alarm that goes off when the fridge door is open so that makes things more difficult:mad: Can you tell I am not having the best of mornings?
    Minimise: paperwork - all to be shredded and composted.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Books - the original virtual reality.
    Tilly Tidying:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well spent the whole morning minimising some of my many books Took five large bags full to the local church charity shop and the chap was very pleased as the sale of them helps fund local things for youngsters and the elderly :) far better than tipping them. I also managed to do two large bags of paperwork as well. Had enough now so I'm going on strike and putting my feet up for an hour with a large pot of coffee to revive me :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure