PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi crazytree I have used whitr vinegar for the past 10 years and find it
    A better than using thick condotioner
    B a darned sight cheaper
    C no nasty smells of unpronouncable things that I have never heard of ,Ylang Ylang ???

Cheap as chips to use and leaves no lingering smell on the clothes,I cannot abide the smell of vinegar anyway but it is fine and the washing machine drun is sparkling I also use half liquid/powder detergent and half washing soda and my clothes are all spotless.

My youngest Dd has had four rescue dogs over the years and they have all been amazing animals She has at the moment a little white maltese terrier called Teddy who had been abandoned and locked in a shed and was very poorly.

The rescue folk think he had never been with a family and my DDs lads and her and the family spoil him dreadfully, he is a cute little guy though and adores my DD.

She also has a middle aged Jack Russell b!!!! called Lexi who was at first a bit snooty with Teddy as he was barely a year old and quite lively, but she too has accepted him and they play together very well.

She would bring them all home if she could and loves her dogs, even though at the moment she has to use a crutch to walk she will go with the dogs to the park and sit and watch them as they tear around the grass.

all the veg is prepped for tonights dinner and I am making out my shopping list for tomorrow mornings shop ,the first one this month :):) as I shall be away for a week too-ing and fro-ing between my Dds house my shopping list will be quite small this month.

JackieO x
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jackie - how much vinegar do you use? About the same as fabric conditioner? I've used soda crystals in my machine for years as I'm in a hard water area so would be very interested.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm going to look out for an artificial tree in the Boxing Day sales. DDs have always insisted on the biggest real tree we could get (and we have tall ceilings) but they will both have moved out by next Christmas. It's not making do but it will minimise the hassle and expense of a tree in future years and by getting it after Christmas hopefully I will minimise the upfront cost
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • silvasava
    Options
    MaryB - we bought an artificial tree in a sale -its the right size for our bay window and has pine cones on it. It's now at least 17 years old! Originally it was quite expensive before the sale and as it still looks good we've certainly had our money's worth!
    I used to buy trees with roots and then plant in the garden but hat started to get a bit silly!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    Jackie - how much vinegar do you use? About the same as fabric conditioner? I've used soda crystals in my machine for years as I'm in a hard water area so would be very interested.

Yes I have a bit in the drawer where the powder/liquid goes sectioned off for the conditioner and I just squirt some in there from the squeezy bottle that I buy of white vinegar from either tescos or sainsburys its usually in a plastic bottle or if in a glass bottle then a capful from the top of the detergent bottle .Not a whiff of vinegar when the wash is finished and the clothes are fine and soft ,especially the towels then onto the line and job done :):)

JackieO xx
  • silvasava
    Options
    Thanks Jackie - I guessed that was what you did but just wanted to be certain. I've got a bottle of cheapie conditioner to use up first so when that's gone I'll be using vinegar.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sorted out DDs thick cosy jumper for her Its not perfect but as its her 'house jumper' for wear only around her draughty house I don't suppose she will mind .

Bit of shopping first thing today, then back home to do some baking ,will warm the kitchen up as well and some nice smells :):):) History this afternoon which I always enjoy then home and batten down the hatches because its blooming cold and getting colder later as well.

Making do with fish from the freezer for dinner and minimising some books to the C/S if I have time

Have a good day everyone and keep wrapped up warm

JackieO xxx
  • crazytree
    Options
    Thanx JackieO. I shall be giving the vinegar a try too! I normally buy a powder with conditioner in it but it doesn't seem to make anything very soft! And I just wanted to say how nice it is that people like your DD are willing to take these dogs, it is rewarding but sometimes a challenge!!!
    I'm still in my jim jams so all I've done so far is minimise the time left to do anything remotely useful today!
    Have a great day everyone
    Tx
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I was wearing a black jumper today as I was writing my Christmas cards. Very tasteful snowy village scene, National Trust cards.

Only slight problem - they were covered in glitter. And now my black jumper is covered in glitter. If I needed a glittery top for a Christmas party and didn't have one, I know exactly how I would be able to make do !!

Anyone know how to get glitter out of black jumpers?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MaryB

I would wind sticky tape round my fingers and then dab gently at the glitter. It takes quite a bit of sticky tape but it should work.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills