IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

HELP! Legal proceedings against me for someone else's PCN

124»

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Finally the fiends have surfaced, BW Legal have sent a letter giving us a couple of weeks to provide proof that we don't own the vehicle :doh::doh:

how do you prove you do not own something ?

and why would the DVLA tell you who does ?

I assume the DVLA might issue a letter to you saying that you have never owned the vehicle in question

having said that , the PPC dont follow keeper liability laws anyway so can only chase the driver (not that it stops them chasing keepers)

ie:- you could have driven it even if it does not belong to you

talk about twisted logic !!
  • Thanks for the responses Coupon-mad and Red X! My thoughts exactly, how can one prove they do not own something?

Will send another stern letter to the DVLA seeking confirmation although I suspect they will send the same documents as before i.e. a V5 from a sale which shows the old owner to be someone with the same name as my father although at a different address
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,686 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'd be tempted to send them a badly photocopied photo of an empty driveway with the text "Here is a photograph of me not owning the vehicle in question.".

Or reply back with a simple "I'm not prepared to do your job for you without compensation".
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,053 Forumite
    Quick question, do you own a smartphone, if so you may be able to use it track your location history by logging into google maps or apple maps on a computer
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    This reminds me of a consumer programme I was listening to a few years ago when somebody complained to a book club that they hadn't received some books they had ordered. The book club replied asking them to prove they had not received the books. The radio presenter suggested sending the company a photo of some empty book shelves.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    trisontana wrote: »
    This reminds me of a consumer programme I was listening to a few years ago when somebody complained to a book club that they hadn't received some books they had ordered. The book club replied asking them to prove they had not received the books. The radio presenter suggested sending the company a photo of some empty book shelves.

Seems to be the standard for incompetence.

Also like the agency assigned to do deal with Tax credits asking a young girl to prove she was not married to an 80 year old man!

OP all the work you have had to do on this I hope you get good compensation from them.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Also like the agency assigned to do deal with Tax credits asking a young girl to prove she was not married to an 80 year old man!
    Seems to be a standard question for any young girl arriving from Bangkok. :)
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,053 Forumite
    Whilst you are getting letters form the PPC and the other bottom feeders, have you contacted Robin Hood airport and told them that they must tell their agents to stop this harassment?

You clearly haven't been there, and you should be attacking both the parking company by telling them to stop processing your data, and the aiport as well, if you are prepared to go on the attck, then bby all means go for the airport.
    You need to let the airport and the parking company know of your intentions and that unless you hear back from them within X amount of days you will ( or may) consider action against them under the data protection act
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Half_way wrote: »
    have you contacted Robin Hood airport and told them that they must tell their agents to stop this harassment?
    You need to let the airport and the parking company know of your intentions and that unless you hear back from them within X amount of days you will ( or may) consider action against them under the data protection act

Hi Halfway,

I sent them a letter at the end of December giving them 14 days to stop the harassment otherwise I'd be starting legal action against them, they have clearly completely disregarded it! I have the proof of postage so will seek to pursue them shortly, I've just been very busy applying for graduate jobs at the moment so haven't had the time :)
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    KG94, look upon this as an extension of your course, a problem solving exercise, a learning experience, taking you out of your comfort zone, and seek to cost them as much time and money as you possibly can.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure