edited 31 December 2016 at 7:29AM in Old Style MoneySaving
25 replies 3.6K views
nmlcnmlc Forumite
4.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 31 December 2016 at 7:29AM in Old Style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Saturday 31st December 2016

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone into work early - I'm now up, showered, dressed, had brekkie, and going into work too. We both should only be working until lunchtime. Both boys still in their pits.

Dinner last night was breaded chicken portions, pasta in a cheese and bacon sauce, chicken satay skewers and mushroom chow mein - a bit of a mixture but well received, clean plates all round and all from fridge/freezer/store cupboard, so a little space created - tonight's dinner is going to be lots of picky bits, mostly the frozen xmas packs from the freezer, tempura prawns, pancake rolls, lots of chicken bites, I'll do a pan of vegetable rice also, this should create quite a bit of space in outside freezer as his was defrosted by DH and the boys before xmas, read for the xmas food. I'll be stopping off on the way home from work to pick up a joint of meat for tomorrow - can't decide what to have, did manage to get a ys beef joint yesterday that had a use by date of yesterday on it, so that's gone in the freezer, I'm thinking I may buy lamb or pork - will have to see what they've got!

I did get the washing almost up to date, but can't now wash anymore until Monday as won't wash on New Years day (that's clothes wash - not I won't get a shower!).

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Replies

• rosie383rosie383 Forumite
    5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning nmlc.
    Hugs to all who need them.

Up at silly o'clock to see dh out to work. So just saying hi before I prepare for the day ahead. DD1 has invited her friends over so I will be clearing off to the park with the little one, and leaving them to it. They are all great girls, 17-19 so shouldn't come back to too much mess hopefully.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • GersGers Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning folks.

The last day of 2016, and I'm under the duvet still. I'm making the most of a few minutes of rest before starting my day.

My DM was up for most of the day yesterday but suddenly felt unwell again in the late evening. Happily her cough has almost gone.

This morning I'll be whizzing around the SM getting in supplies as I'm going home tomorrow morning. I'll make sure she's stocked up with basic stuff and she's got a stuffed full freezer.

Thoughts to those who are having tough times.

Happy Hogmanay!
  • trutru Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :santa2:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Coxy I hope all went well yesterday xx[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Lainey Thinking of you x[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]JackieO I couldn't work out who Ted was so I scrolled back a couple of days – that's great news :D I'm willing his fur to grow quickly, lol.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Mr tru wanted a new blu-ray player, the old one was to be demoted to the bedroom. I was going to buy it for his birthday in January but he wanted it for Christmas. He switched the players around and realised that the old one won't connect to the telly upstairs, so I was going to buy a Scart to HDMI converter. A lot of people have said it's not as simple as that and we'll need an extra signal converter and even then it doesn't always work. So he's now decided that we should get a new telly for downstairs (for his birthday present) and demote the old one to the bedroom. That's turned out to be a very expensive blu-ray player, gggrrrr. The original set-up works perfectly well so I'm not happy about spending all that money, especially as the things he wants to watch upstairs – tv series like Sons Of Anarchy and Spartacus (all of which we've watched before!) - aren't on blu-ray, they're on DVD, and there's a working DVD player in the room already! He can't see any logic in leaving things the way they are so I'm having a good think about how to make it NOT happen.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The fridge is a mess, I'm going to empty it, clean it, sort through the food then tell everyone what they must eat today :D Also need to put a wash on, I'm fed up of seeing the washing down here so I'll put the airer in the bedroom for the day. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm feeling very sorry for the chickens, they're bored and I keep seeing them standing at the fence of their prison, staring up the garden. Roll on 6th January, when they'll be free again.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]No plans for tonight. I'll be staying in, wrapped in my cosy dressing gown and falling asleep on the sofa before 10pm :D[/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • Hard_Up_HesterHard_Up_Hester Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all
    It's 4 degrees here this morning, positively balmy after the last few days, DGD is here but is going home early today as they are off out somewhere today,
    I have no real plans today apart from finishing knitting a guinea pig and then it's back to my crochet cushion covers.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • TravellingAbuelaTravellingAbuela Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. It's still feeling mild hereabouts, for now at least!

No need for a sm shop till at least the end of the week but I want to pop in town for some salad potatoes and milk at some point today. Meanwhile we will be living from the freezer and store cupboards which are still pretty well stocked. I shall be keeping away from any sales whilst out and about.

No plans for any NYE revelling for us. A quiet night in with our feet up is on the agenda! DD is having her usual party for anybody with nowhere better to go but, though invited, we will be keeping well clear!

Have a good day if you can and (((HUGS))) to all in need. Thinking especially of LAINEY and her DM. COXY too as I can't imagine what yesterday was like for you and your family. Take care and a Very Happy New Year to one and all! xxx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • camelot1001camelot1001 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning All

Blustery outside with rain showers and 2 cats making an awful racket, they woke me up about 5 so I've been pottering about doing not a lot!

Managed to catch the budgie yesterday and cleaned its eye, it wasn't happy. I spoke to my friends who don't want me to take it to the vet, all very well but I am left looking after it. Can't wait for them to come home!

Had a lovely lunch here with a neighbour and her Mum yesterday, I even made pastry for the quiche, Mary Berry would be so sad, it had a soggy bottom but tasted good.

Nothing I have to do today so may look out something to sew, I will be in bed before the bells, hoping the neighbours will be too.

Enjoy the last day of 2016, hugs to all in need. Take care. XX
  • snoozersnoozer Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm slowly recovering from my stomach bug but haven't eaten for two days and I still don't feel hungry. DH has got it now as well so not a lot going n here. I must get dressed today because we are nearly out of milk, I can drink tea without but DH won't.

Coxy, I hope things went as well as they could. Lainey, thinking of you.
  • Morning all
    Lainey thinking of your mum and all your family
    Coxy my thoughts are also with your family as well
    Its damp and miserable out today but we aren't due to go out till later this evening we are off to friends its their turn this year no children to go with us this year they have children the same age so we have always spent NYE together but time seems to have moved on so quickly
    No shopping needed here will need to go through the fridge n freezer to see what i have and make a meal plan accordingly will spend the day cleaning i think as decs are now down and ziggys things have been gifted and collected the house looks so empty
    Right onwards and upwards as my mum says
    Hope you all have a good day whatever you are up to
  • ancientofdaysancientofdays Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all, I have been up since 3 and doubt my ability to see in the new year. Might try to have a nap later.

Today I need to do the cleaning I failed to get round to yesterday and knit a small border collie.
    I did oil some squeaky door hinges though. And finished another baby jumper.
    I am in trouble with OH for failing to move a started loaf of bread to the proper place in the freezer, left it in the unstarted loaf place thus creating a false impression of how much bread was left (this is sliced for toasting ). I do sometimes wonder about him.
    Love to LaineyT and I hope yesterday was bearable for Coxy.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Good Morning all, had a wonderful sleep in my own bed last night, feel ready to start my deep cleaning this morning, then its back to DDs until probably Monday.No shopping to buy as yet and this months left over food shopping cash will get shovelled into my holiday savings account New month and year tomorrow and I am hoping to buy as little as possible in January as I have so much stuff in the freezer ,plus lots of left over odds and ends ,plus several food hampers that I was given as present at Christmas so it will virtually be only fresh fruit and veg to buy this month as I have stocked up on UHT milk and have lots of things on my to-do list to be getting on with in January so as little time in the shops as I can get away with :) I also have a pretty full calender of things to go to next month as well, plus a couple of trips to Gatwick to take DGS Ben and his g/f next week as they are off to belin for a few days then I will pick them up when they come home .So January will be a very busy month so a rest from shopping will be good for my purse as well:)
    I wish everyone on here a Very happy and peaceful New Year and for those who are not in a good place at the moment I too wish them the very best.
    lainey I think of you every day and hope you and your DM will find peace together
    Coxy I can't imagine what sort of week this has been and I wish you well for the future.
    NRA I hope you get your MIL sorted and a bit more help from her other sons .
    Caterina I hope you get home safe and sound and your health picks up in the New Year
    and to all my other friends both real and virtual on here take care of yourselves and I look forward to 'seeing' you all on here in the New Year ,lets hope it will be a better one for us all
    God Bless

JackieO xxx
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS