From debt to freedom...

Options

Comments

• louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How’s your DD getting on at uni?Has she settled and got into uni life?

Rubbish about your TC and having to pay it back. It’s so confusing isn’t it
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    She is settling in well thank you Louby. I try not to ask her what she's eaten too many times, as I do worry that she hasn't really cooked at home but she is looking well when we see her on Skype. Her lectures have only just started...seems to have been a long introduction period. Hoping to see her for a brief visit at half term. Long enough to see her but not get in the way of her new life, if you see what I mean!
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,113 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Just catching up and sorry to hear about the necessary repayments. Hopefully CAB will come up with something useful.

It's good to see people making good use of apples. When we were away there were apple trees nearby - absolutely laden - I tried a windfall off it which was incredibly sharp so perhaps that's why they weren't being used.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing so well - paying off loans, baking with foraged apples, supporting your DD settling into uni. So impressive!
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Glad your daughter is getting on ok honey, I'd be the same about eating and food, I'd have to stop myself sending care parcels of food etc!
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    That's exactly how I feel Missymoo! I made a carrot cake yesterday and was wondering how I could get one to her! She'll have to wait until I go up! Bashed carrot cake in a parcel would not be good!! My grandmother used to do a box for me at the beginning of each term when I was a student, so might have to continue that idea.
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think a box of staples is a good idea! Plus some nice treats too.

Neither of my kids will be going to uni ( one has an apprenticeship and the other is planning on going into the RAF) can’t decide whether I’m grateful or sad about it.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    At least they won't have student loans to worry about...both routes are good avenues to train for a variety of roles.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Today has been an odd day. My secondary age children have been off school so I thought I ought to make use of the time to do something with them. We went to a local farm shop and had a drink and lunch. Well DD3 and I had a panini and the others had a basket of chips. It was very much a treat. We headed to the beach after that and enjoyed helping the toddler to build sand castles before rushing off to get the primary age children.

On my return I rang HMRC again. Last week the man I spoke to said I needed to ring back within 7 days with a list of income and expenditure for the last 3 months. It took me a couple of hours to get the figures together. Thankfully I have been using a spending tracker app since February so most of the details were to hand. When I rang it was somebody different that
    I spoke to and she only wanted an list of average income and expenditure. I listed everything that was a regular payment from my list but I'm not convinced that they took the one off type payments such as MOT costs or buildings insurance that I only pay once a year. The lady explained that repayments are usually 25% of any left over income after essential living expenses. I've requested a payment date as the day after payday so at least
    I know it will go out quickly. Ironically the monthly payment they have set is about the difference in amount between the single and joint payments so in real terms I'll be no worse off. If I keep to the budget I've had all year until Aug when they cut the TCs, I'll hopefully still be able to reduce debts elsewhere too.

Since the children were off today I hadn't got a CAB appointment arranged but am hoping I can get one either for my next day off or for a day during half term.

DD2 had an assessment today so in order to prepare and practice
    I was presented with ratatouille when I got home last night. It was very tasty :) at last the benefits of having a catering student in the house:rotfl:
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Hoping that today will be a NSD. In preparation for this I got the main food shop done last night. We timed it right so that I was able to get several packs of sandwich bread for 6p a pack and a couple of loaves for 10p. Menu plan for the week will be

Fish portions and oven chips
    Roast chicken
    Chicken stir fry
    Macaroni cheese, salad and garlic bread
    Wednesday - children eat with ex
    Jacket potatoes and toppings

Pancakes ��

I am finding it much easier food wise to make the menu plan and stick to it, which I feel more able to do now that the TC payments have stabilised and I know how much is coming in.

Next week looks to be a very busy one at work so meals need to be quick and easy.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family