From debt to freedom...

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    A beach party with toasted marshmallows and you didn't invite me? :(:rotfl:

It sounds idyllic, even if it was windy: the sort of thing she will look back on with pleasure in the future... and very MS. :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The beach party sounds lovely HSL.
    As for the CTC, it may be worth phoning them to tell them you are single and have no forwarding address for the ex, as you are likely to be entitled to more help as a single parent. Thinking about it, I can't remember if I had to give them my ex's address when we seperated. I can't recall doing so. It's definitely worth a call to them though as any extra entitlement can be backdated for 30 days which will also help boost funds.

Xx
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6923.98/£15,000 XMAS: £607.21 CAR/HOUSE: £550
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you MeandO. I must ring tomorrow as the date is creeping closer.

I spent today cleaning out the food cupboards. I did have a few things that I'd kept "just in case" that were in fact out of date...by a year or two. Things like jelly glaze for fruit flans or harvested hazelnuts that I hadn't stored carefully enough. The cupboards are now gleaming and I've rearranged so that I can see what we have more easily.

I confess I did have to nip to Tescos today, which I did use the credit card to pay for as I realised that we would run out of loo roll by midday and waiting til Monday's payday is not an option. I do feel cross with myself as I haven't used the CC for months, but it was a case of needs must.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think we can make an exception for loo roll. :D
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    I agree you need to call tax credits, they will end the joint claim there and then and open a new single claim in your name. You don't need an address or anything else for ExDH. I did this this month and my single claim is already sorted and in payment. Once you've done the call if you use the my tax account on the gov. site you will see when its sorted and any updates etc.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    I did call the tax credit phone line today. You are right Hidden, they closed down the joint claim and are sending me the paper work to begin a new single claim. The advisor said if I sent it back by recorded delivery it would be sorted out quite quickly. In practical terms it does mean that the payment I was expecting on Tuesday won't happen now, as all payments for the joint claim will cease. It did scare me a bit as to the time frame without any tax credits particularly given the list of forthcoming expenses, that will already make summer quite lean. The advisor said as a worst case scenario it could be September before it is all sorted. I did ask as to the worst case as I felt I needed to be prepared to stretch my wages as far as possible when I'm paid on Monday. I have swung today between feeling as though it's a financial challenge to get stuck into and on the other side fighting a sense of overwhelming panic. I've felt calmer tonight. I looked at the sky and the slight sunset through the rain and thought about how much I have to be thankful about. Whenever I look at the sky, I'm thankful for my sight. Thinking about the things I can be thankful for has helped me to keep calm.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Feeling a little calmer than yesterday re tax credits. My parents came to see us today and my mum and I cooked lunch together for us. After they left we went down to the beach for an evening walk. The tide was really low so nice to see hidden rock pools etc. Came back home and made Chelsea buns for tea. The children like them and they are quite easy to do.

Tomorrow is DS2's birthday (2 birthdays within 4 days! Expensive time of the year!). DS wants to go bowling so will have to see if that is possible. He is happy to have a BBQ on the beach in the evening if the weather is nice.

Payday tomorrow, so going to recrunch the figures to see how to make the wages last as long as possible.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Payday was yesterday, so all direct debits have come out today. It was the last loan repayment today!!! HURRAY :j:j:T:T:dance: It's taken 6 years to shift the 2 loans. Both were at £8,500. One started in 2011 and finished last August, the second started in 2014 and has finished today. Such a relief that the whole £17k is gone, paid and finished! That will mean I am £290 better off next month, but I will use that amount to start repaying the home improvement loans and the family member who lent me money to get a much needed vehicle.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Yesterday was DS2's birthday, so we started the day with birthday breakfast pancakes. He really wanted to go bowling so we went to a local ish ten pin bowling place. He wanted a BBQ but on a different beach to his sister, which is fair enough. We are blessed to live near a few lovely beaches, so we headed off to his favourite. DS had spent a bit of his birthday money on a cricket set, so it was lovely to see them all joining in and playing together.

We had run quite low on food over the weekend so I did end up spending quite a bit on food today. It is interesting and a fun challenge to eat from the cupboards but you do to replenish them! I stocked up on frozen veg, nappies and bread/bagel type products as well as fruit. I did do a menu plan before going so made sure I got the ingredients for those meals. I wanted to make sure we had enough for picnic foods too, so that weather permitting we can get out for some free days out.

DD2 can start to learn to drive soon, so I thought we'd better get started on getting the provisional license. We used the photo booth machine at Tescos which managed to eat the £5 but only give us a single portrait. Second time round, I went in and made sure the correct pictures were selected so that we got what we needed. A frustrating moment, that the photos cost us £10 instead of £5. Must remember to get the form completed and posted forthwith!
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    The last loan payment was slightly less than usual, so I made a payment to the family member. I had to use the cc over the weekend, so I made sure I paid that amount off today.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family