Santas challenge 2017

Options

Comments

• Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nope couldn't do 8. Much admiration Katiehound on this.
    I also enjoy the family boxes more tbh and I didn't put scarves in last year because of room.

I've got their leaflets (took a while to come thru after signing up) and they are saying on sweets/chocolate BB June 2020 EU origin. If u have a tesc@ nearby they have a good size nice Molly's chocolate bar for 30p with a decent BB date.

Managed to get pencil and rubber sets reduced to 20p in the W@rks so bought several sets and looking at the stash I have from last year that I had left over, they are items more geared up for the family boxes.
    If I can get a box this week I probably have enough ready to do another family box. I do like doing them, especially when I read online of where the shoeboxes went last year and the awful circumstances people are living in.feel like I'm doing a small piece of good
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm doing 4 of each. Last year I got some really thin scarves which folded to nowt. Sometime last year (after box packing) I got some plain viscose scarves in Poundland reduced to 50pence- one came in very handy in India!!
    Haven't had a chance to survey the 'need to buy' yet- too busy with dishwasher / machine/ doggy duvets,/ shredding docs etc. I know that I already have a lot of what's needed.

Yes, everytimeI look at the photos it makes me cry- what abject poverty and that's why I do it. It's the elderly I feel really sorry for as often they are left with no friends, or even with the grandchildren to care for. I think they asked for shopping bags last year so I made them out of brightly coloured curtaining- made a change from duvets!!
    I also make a small SO per month which goes into their other projects.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Options
    Katie it is awfully sad.

I’m also doing a donation to a Christmas toy appeal, as I would like to do something to help local people too. I have a big bag of items put aside which I am adding to. I wanted to do it last year, but left it too late.
  • Katiehound
    Options
    Two or three times a year I buy extra shower gel etc or cleaning products and take them to the community larder as they always want those if someone has been 'given' a house- so that's my local 'donation.' Plus I do shop & donate to local charity shops.
    When I went to pay for new washer found a new charity shop in town! Makes 10 in all.........
    Many thanks
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    Just lost 2 posts arggghhh, just not playing ball so I'm going to see if I can do a quick post.

Completed second shoebox tonight, elderly this time, made good use of my mum's knitted items.

Still have quite a bit left so family shoebox next.
    Community larder sounds interesting, we have nothing like this here
  • Katiehound
    Options
    The community larder is run by the local churches group- like a food bank. They do accept food but also want toiletries & household cleaning products- so that's what I take them.
    The Sally Army also hand out goodies and I think give free lunches.
    Many thanks

• Happy_Kitties
    Options
    We have an organisation here that supports young people with life skills, sorting out courses/jobs and then finally helping to get them into their own accommodation. They never ask for items but something like a community larder would be brilliant to support them.

Tried to post aswell last night that my car has to go in for a service next week and they have offered to drop me into the nearby town. Where I live we don't have many shops so really going to make use of the opportunity to get more shoeboxes, have a nosy in the pound and charity shops.

Also donate to the local animal shelter where we always get our cats from. They have a collection point in tesc@s, always pop something in when we go shopping and pop more in at Christmas.

Out of the blue I decided to book Poland pre Christmas as abit of a target to aim for health wise. If things don'the go to plan and I can't go, DD is going to take her BF but I am really hoping to go and have bought a book on Poland to take into hospital with me.

Father's day presents posted today, 21st birthday presents to sort out next.
  • Katiehound
    Options
    Don't know if you are near an Aldi but they have 'Family soap'- 4 large bars for 59 pence. In the past I have put shower gel in the boxes but they are asking you not to- problem of bottle disposal, so I'll use a large soap instead and buy shampoo.
    I also noted that Aldi's sweets are dated Feb?2020 whilst bars of chocolate Nov 2020. Funny, I would have though ti would be other way round!

Bought £5 of shower gel/ washing up liquid (yes I know strange combo!) and wash up sponges and delivered to 'larder.'
    Many thanks

• chanie
    Options
    Katie thanks for the Aldi soap tip. I will definitely pick some up when I pop in.
  • chanie
    Options
    I popped into Aldi today and bought the soap.

I also started putting my boxes together, so I could see how they were filling up. I haven’t spent much money on my boxes yet as many of the items I have collected has been items from around my home (McDonald’s happy meal toys, note pads, hotel slippers etc).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure