Open Up to Me - A Savings Diary

Options
124»

Comments

• _Amaryllis_
    Options
    Last week the only thing I spent money on apart from petrol and housekeeping was C's birthday present. :D

I got an email on Friday to confirm that I'm officially fully qualified now :beer: I made cheese and bacon muffins and flapjack to take into work today to celebrate.

C has got his credit card balance below £1000 now and will hopefully have it paid off within 6 weeks. :j
    No. 30 on Save 12k in 2018 £20,218.75/£20,000
    No. 90 on Save 12k in 2017 £19,650.21/£15,000
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fantastic news. I am so amazed that all the people on this thread are being careful with money. It is so encouraging. Really well done on qualification and not the OH getting his cc down.:beer::j:money::D:T
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • _Amaryllis_
    Options
    Well, this week wasn't nearly as good as last week.

It was quiz night on Wednesday so I spent £2 entry adn £1 for soda water. However, we came first and won £62 between 5 of us, so £12.40 each :beer:

We also had pancakes at Sloppy Joe's on Saturday and bought beer to drink while we were playing D&D that evening.

I also got my mum a DVD for mothers' day.

However, all of that rather pales in comparison to the £289 I spent on wedding rings. Mine is white gold engraved with a pattern of stylised flowers (£170) and C's is titanium and carbon fibre (£119). We both really loved them and some things are worth splashing out on, right?

We've also decided on a venue for the reception. We're booking a local village hall which is very a very pretty faux Tudor building. I've got to sign the forms and send the £50 deposit. It will be about £200 in total and one of the local pubs will do the bar and even let us pick the beers and ciders we want.

I've also received the invoice for my membership fee £231 :eek:
    However, I can claim that back from my employer, I just think I'll wait until the credit card cuts off this month before paying it.
    No. 30 on Save 12k in 2018 £20,218.75/£20,000
    No. 90 on Save 12k in 2017 £19,650.21/£15,000
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's a really good use of money I think. Really well done. How exciting it is going for a good cause and people will have fun and have memories that will last a lifetime.:beer::j
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    I think £289 is quite reasonable for 2 wedding rings. They are a one-off purchase to show how much you care about one another so best to go for quality which as SW says will last a lifetime :love:
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure