Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Plus two for wool.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a silk duvet. I spent ages debating the relative merits of wool and silk after my feather and down one finally gave up, and found a great deal on silk in the sales. It's taken a while to get used to, but it's great. Enough weight to know that it's there, but not oppressive.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think Eiderdown is a bit like Hoover, a generic term and not necessarily the correct one for what it is aiming to describe. Duvets made from the down of the eider (a duck) were (and probably are still) very expensive - and I mean thousands. That is strictly what an eiderdown is.

But the word (generic term) eiderdown, was much like the heavy quilted topper that sat on the top of the bedding.

Down is light, it's the fluff rather than the feather (to be simplistic) so it weights next to nothing, like being snuggled in a cloud.

Edit - google found me this, which is much more eloquent in explaining it, even if it is The Guardian! https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2016/jan/05/duvets-v-eiderdowns-the-royal-household-takes-it-to-the-mattresses

An eiderdown is a name for a type of bedding, just as you might have a blanket. I think they were stuffed with feathers and stuffed very heavily so that they sat up proud on the top of the bed, not much like a modern duvet.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    I have a silk duvet. I spent ages debating the relative merits of wool and silk after my feather and down one finally gave up, and found a great deal on silk in the sales. It's taken a while to get used to, but it's great. Enough weight to know that it's there, but not oppressive.

I have a silk one too, I use it in the summer. It's a light one.
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a wool one. Was amazed at how something so thin can be responsive to temperature. Lovely and warm in winter and cool in summer.
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to update I went to dunelm which is great because they have them all out hanging up on a rack for you to have a proper look.

Got a dorma forever full which is exactly what I wanted. Really heavy and snuggly but not down. 20% off in the sale too so £60.
    Sigless
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have heard that down/feather duvets gain wait over time due to the accumulation of dead skin and therefore greater numbers of dust mites.

Don't be afraid to sleep though folks, it could be a load of rubbish.

Anyway, maybe that is why the OP's is heavy, it could be old. My mum still has one that I remember as a small child, and I just turned 33.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure