'Like down' duvet.

Options
Can anyone recommend me a duvet that has that heavy down feeling, if that makes sense?

I can't have a down one due to allergies but do like the heavy feeling of a down duvet. Needs to be 15 tog too as there's no radiator in my bedroom so it's bloody freezing in winter!

So am wondering if anyone knows of one that has that heavy snuggling feeling but isn't actually down?

I've been to John Lewis and all the synthetic ones they have out just feel light and thin. And I can't think of anywhere else where I can go and actually have a good look before buying.

Thanks.
Sigless

Comments

• Auntie-Dolly
    Options
    How about a wool duvet?
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    +1 for wool, though offhand I'm not sure how you'd get to "feel" it before buying. Happily an internet purchase would give you more choices?
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 December 2016 at 6:35PM
    Options
    Thanks I did look at the wool ones but they seem thin. I want the heavy feeling of down.

I do have an Amazon voucher so am hoping to use that but obviously I can't check them first. Hence asking for recommendations
    Sigless
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    "Down" duvets are light (very light if it's a good one). Are you meaning "feather and down"?
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    "Down" duvets are light (very light if it's a good one). Are you meaning "feather and down"?

That's what I thought as well, although even down/feather or feather/down seem far lighter than artificial fillings.
  • Rev
    Options
    I have no idea to be honest. My mum used to have what she called an eider down duvet (spelling?).

It was really heavy and just seemed to hug you when you got under it but always kicked off my allergies.

I'd like something with a similar feel but no allergic reaction!!
    Sigless
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 December 2016 at 10:30PM
    Options
    Rev wrote: »
    I have no idea to be honest. My mum used to have what she called an eider down duvet (spelling?).

It was really heavy and just seemed to hug you when you got under it but always kicked off my allergies.

I'd like something with a similar feel but no allergic reaction!!

I think Eiderdown is a bit like Hoover, a generic term and not necessarily the correct one for what it is aiming to describe. Duvets made from the down of the eider (a duck) were (and probably are still) very expensive - and I mean thousands. That is strictly what an eiderdown is.

But the word (generic term) eiderdown, was much like the heavy quilted topper that sat on the top of the bedding.

Down is light, it's the fluff rather than the feather (to be simplistic) so it weights next to nothing, like being snuggled in a cloud.

Edit - google found me this, which is much more eloquent in explaining it, even if it is The Guardian! https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2016/jan/05/duvets-v-eiderdowns-the-royal-household-takes-it-to-the-mattresses
    The eiderdown these days rarely contains eider; it has become an umbrella term for almost any quilted bed topping
  • Rev
    Options
    Thanks. As I said I've no idea. I just know I'd like a 'heavy' quilt.
    Sigless
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 29 December 2016 at 11:09PM
    Options
    Get an electric over- blanket. Once you've used one, you'll wonder how you ever managed without one

If your bedroom is cold, it will be a pleasure getting into bed. My husband says how lovely it is every night and we've had it for over a year now.

We just have it on for about an hour while we are watching tv and switch it off before we go to sleep.
  • Rev
    Options
    SuzieSue wrote: »
    Get an electric over- blanket. Once you've used one, you'll wonder how you ever managed without one

If your bedroom is cold, it will be a pleasure getting into bed. My husband says how lovely it is every night and we've had it for over a year now.

We just have it on for about an hour while we are watching tv and switch it off before we go to sleep.

Thanks but I just bought myself a new electric blanket a few weeks ago.
    Sigless
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport