We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Privacy solution for existing window

Options
moneyistooshorttomention
moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
Neighbours can see in through my kitchen window from some distance away. I'd hoped it wasn't possible - but then they waved to me in my kitchen one time and it's clear several houses can see in through that window.

It's a kitchen window - so I can't go putting up net or similar curtains to block their view.

I need to be able to be able to continue seeing out that window (as it's the only window one can see out of to that side of my garden and I do like spotting the birds hopping around nearby).

So - I need something that obscures vision - but only one way. So I can see out - but no-one can see in.

I've been googling those stick-on window things - but my view out would be obscured by them and I'm not convinced they would be stuck up properly and last permanently.

Any thoughts as to what I can do?

EDIT; BTW they are upvc doubleglazed windows and with 2 opening windows/1 fixed pane of glass.

Comments

• JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    Its your kitchen not a bedroom or bathroom. Are you naked in it? Are you cooking meth or making a bomb?

Maybe they waved as they are friendly neighbours?

Maybe you should wave back and then maybe actually one day be able to speak to them - you know, like neighbours do?
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 December 2016 at 11:51AM
    Options
    Money, everyone in my block walks past the front of my flat because it is the natural route to the high street and the station.

I had a company come out and install privacy film - the sort of stuff martinthebandit has mentioned. It does take some light off the room but it really is brilliant. It works on light levels so during the day when there is more light outside than in, it means that people looking at my windows see a mirror, but I can still see them. In the evening the effect reverses - more light inside means I see the mirror, they can see in. But by that time I am happy to draw the curtains/close the blinds.

The company that installed it said it would last 10 years. I think I have to clean the Windows a bit more carefully, using baby shampoo - instructions are easily available via Google. You could install it yourself but it's a bit like putting film on an iPad, dead easy to get bubbles. The guys who installed it do it day in, day out, and so were quick and efficient. I have a huge expanse of Windows so I was happy to pay for someone else to install it.

I have now had it for over a year. Still delighted with it.

PS I take the view that I should have sufficient privacy that if I want to run about naked inside my flat, I should be able to do so without fear of being seen. I do talk to my neighbours, even the obnoxious one, but once inside I want to be totally private.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    PPS. Just checked Martinthebandit's link. That is the company I used. My brother had already used them; my daughter is about to!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    JP1978 wrote: »
    Its your kitchen not a bedroom or bathroom. Are you naked in it?

Actually the answer to that would be "Yes...sometimes". I do expect to be able to walk around my house with whatever clothing I decide on (or none).

It's someone's right to do that in their own home if they choose to after all....:)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don't mind people being able to see me in my kitchen, as their view inside is limited. I could be standing there with no pants on and they'd never know. It's just the expurgated version of seeing me in the front garden.

Anyway, a long-distance view of me making a cup of tea, or grilling bacon, isn't going to hold anyone's attention very long, is it?

Much more important, is that being seen is good for the community.

Before I cut down vegetation and made such a view possible, people's behaviour was much poorer. Without going into detail, there was dog poo and some casual littering.

The viewing works both ways, so none of that happens now.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    But you haven't got the two additions to your anatomy up top that I have Dave...:rotfl:

....and I have noticed that women here seem to dress in a more "cover up" type fashion than I'm used to....:cool:. This is a more "conservative" type area in some ways....and I ain't changin'
  • carefullycautious
    Options
    Surely venetian blinds that you can position so that you can see out but others cant see in would suffice.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

That would look really odd in a domestic situation.
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use nets in my kitchen and have a blind that gets closed when it gets dark. It works for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport