PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I rent while on a debt management plan?

Options
Hi, I've currently started a debt management plan after a lot of thought, this was due to lending money and getting the back fall when I wasn't paid back on time and also some bad choices on my side, I've felt 100% better signing up with stepchange and hopeful for my future however I would like to still be independent and move out sometime next year, wether it's a studio or a one bed flat.

What are my chances of being able to rent? My credit file will be very poor and I have no guarantor that would be able to help. I've worked out with bills that I pay currently I'd be able to afford somewhere around the £750 per month range.

I understand that some places would want to get more money upfront but I'm not sure how successful this has been for others. I have my old landlord who is happy to do a reference when I moved out in 2015 but I'm currently living in a family home.

Any advice would be great, I'm not looking to start searching until next year.

Thank you

Comments

• marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    Options
    I've worked out with bills that I pay currently I'd be able to afford somewhere around the £750 per month range.

I don't know which part of the country you live in but with that sort of rental it seems you're not taking the DMP seriously.
  • Taylor111310
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, may I ask why you feel that? I did fail to mention that my family are moving out which is a lot of further than where I work so I'd have no choice but to rent otherwise I would stay in the family home putting extra money into the dmp.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Generally speaking, all a credit check for a landlord will show is what's on your public register. The public register shows CCJ and insolvency (IVA, bankruptcy) it does not show late payments and defaults.

The credit check is just one part of referencing though. There's affordability and references from previous landlords and/or your employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure