11 years a slave - end of my journey from £103,500 in debt

Options

Comments

• moneyfacts
    Options
    For the avoidance of doubt I wasn't trying to be smug. Iv been there myself where I got into a lot of debt and took me years to clear.

When I look back on it though, I don't feel proud, I just feel I wasted money and time for being an idiot. Maybe I just need to be more optimistic about life.

I do however admire this post for paying it all back! Bankruptcy would have been an easy option and that says a lot about him.
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Sentientpoet
    Its posts like yours that made me sit up and helped me realise that I needed to sort my life out.
    Thankyou so much for sharing. I have subscribed to it and read it regularly. I have even shared it with others that are also struggling financially. You have been the talk of the forum :o (in a good way)
    I hope you are enjoying your new found freedom
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • Teacher2
    Teacher2 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I told my DH about this thread when he came in from work yesterday evening and he was as full of admiration and praise as I am so I wanted to pass that on. I did think the comment about 'consumer stupidity' was a little harsh (though I see the poster, 'moneyfacts', has explained he was 'stupid' in his own view, too). We have all been a little down on our luck or foolish at times and it takes real courage to admit it and share experience and advivce in order to inspire others to escape their debts.

I think that the main virtues of the 'Debt Free Wannabe' thread are that they elicit sympathy and advice for those wishing to pay back their debts; they reinforce the message that debts should be tackled and that by doing so character and responsibility are built and they inspire others troubled by debt to do something about it.

In fact, some of the longer threads reveal people growing in moral strength and determination from post to post and year to year.
  • Lumanous
    Lumanous Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know you have so many congrats here but I had to post something. Not only getting through the feat but wanting to help others along the way too. So I must say well done for persevering and truly sticking with your goal, regardless of any hiccups along the way. I also admire your conviction in still holding faith in your life and the path you have taken as you should.

Although there may be some or even significant debt impact from bad or less guided decisions, I think there is sometimes a lack of understanding that sometimes some building of debt is because of the uncontrollable things that happen in life and actually you cannot say where you would be if you had not spent certain money etc. Does it excuse the whole lot in every case? No, but I don't think anybody's debt large or small is solely down to simply easy or wrong decisions. Life throws so many things at us and sometimes costs are needed, if then sometimes amplified by indulgent living! Regardless of how you got there you faced up to it and dealt with it yourself and proved your strength.

I am certain others will be comforted and inspired by your journey, especially those just starting out. Also shows how the journey can change. It's not necessarily as daunting or long haul as it first seems. You decide your path with the next step you take.

Just think how much you can save now with all that debt gone! :D

I hope you are feeling free and happy as you are into a fresh year taking the next step in your life wherever that path shall take you. Remember your strength and all you've achieved :beer: I hope if you haven't celebrated then you will at some point even if it's when there is an emergency fund in the bank ;)
    :A
    No, my username is not a typo :tongue:
  • jojogirly
    jojogirly Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Congratulations, thank you for sharing your story
    Total 2019: £3972 - Best win this year £3000
    2018 total £4062/2017 total £2260/ 2016 total £2025/ 2015 total £3809.
  • kazza292_2
    Options
    that gave me goosebumps.. as i start emptying my lake xx
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was recommended to read this and I am see why, truly inspirational. Hope you managed to hit your savings goal. Thanks motivated for the link, hopefully we can write our inspirational post soon enough!
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I remember reading this last year when he posted it.

I hope he’s happy and has managed to save lots and enjoy his life over 2017!
  • rockabillygirl
    Options
    I have only just found this thread. Although your debt free journey came to an end last year, I just wanted to thank you for sharing. I have found your words and experience truely inspirational and wish you well for the future.
    It will all be ok in the end - if it's not ok, then it's not the end!
    Saving for Christmas 2019 #27 total £62.00
    Sealed pot challenge 12 #32 total £67.50
    Mortgage paid off.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm glad some of you have recently re-commented on this post from 2016, I don't normally resurrect old posts, but in my opinion, this deserves to be read by all, I doubt much will surpass it in terms of raw determination and effort.

Its so good, and serves as such an inspiration to others, that I have decided to make it a sticky, so every user, newbie or old hand, can gain some benefit from it.

Thanks again to "sencientpoet" for such a brilliant post.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure