🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Consumer rights for hardlocked mobiles? Counter set to 0.

Options
I bought a Sony Xperia Z2 a couple of years ago. The warranty has expired. The phone is locked to EE and the network counter is 0 although I've never tried to change SIM (you can view this when typing [FONT=&quot]*#*#7378423#*#* then tapping on service info then on SIM lock).

EE have sent me all the unlock codes which is great. However, because the network counter on the phone is set to 0 I am unable to use the IMEI codes supplied by EE. It is not as simple as using the codes they provide, or taking it in to one of those phone unlocking shops.

Sony support tell me their only solution is they can reset the counter if I post the phone to them, which naturally will incur a charge. They have also said that the phones they manufacture are all provided with 5 attempts and that the only way to adjust this number is via Sony.

This can't be right because I have never attempted to unlock the phone, and I got it new and yet the counter is at 0. I am very curious to know who has reset the counter to 0 as I would think it could only be Sony or the online retailer.

I don't feel I should be penalised for unlocking a phone given the context. Does anyone know who would be culpable/who I can contact for some kind of recourse?

I would think it would be the retailler since the contract was between myself and the retailer in the first instance. Naturally they have already palmed me off to Sony who in turn have failed to fully answer my queries, stating merely that they will reset the counter for a fee but cannot tell me what that fee will be without inspecting the phone.

I don't think they ought to have sold me a phone with a counter set to 0 with the one way of making the phone work being incurring a further cost.

Any help would be great. Has anyone else had this experience of the more complicated aspects to phone unlocking?
[/FONT]

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How about using Virgin or plusnet or Vectone or asda.

All on EE network
  • gycraig_2
    Options
    Never heard of this before surely if it had been unlocked it would just stay unlocked.
    Was the phone sealed when you bought it as surely the online retailer could only attempt this with the phone open ?.

Worked in phone retail for 3 years and never heard anything like this before, can sony tell you when it was attempted ?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lozbob007 wrote: »

This can't be right because I have never attempted to unlock the phone, and I got it new and yet the counter is at 0. I am very curious to know who has reset the counter to 0 as I would think it could only be Sony or the online retailer.

So what proof do you have to prove you (nor anyone else who has had access to the phone since you got it) hasn't tried to enter codes or mess about with the software?
    I don't feel I should be penalised for unlocking a phone given the context. Does anyone know who would be culpable/who I can contact for some kind of recourse?

You would take your proof that you have and seek redress in court, that would have to be against the retailer as your proof would undoubtedly show they sold you a faulty phone?
    I would think it would be the retailler since the contract was between myself and the retailer in the first instance. Naturally they have already palmed me off to Sony who in turn have failed to fully answer my queries, stating merely that they will reset the counter for a fee but cannot tell me what that fee will be without inspecting the phone.

It would be the retailer yes.
    I don't think they ought to have sold me a phone with a counter set to 0 with the one way of making the phone work being incurring a further cost.

Any help would be great. Has anyone else had this experience of the more complicated aspects to phone unlocking?

If you explain how you intend to prove you haven't attempted to unlock the phone or someone else has attempted to unlock the phone people might be able to give you more advice.
    ====
  • System
    System Posts: 178,105 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Vectone only roam on EE so they (and sister delight) will need an unlock.

AndyPK wrote: »
    How about using Virgin or plusnet or Vectone or asda.

All on EE network
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    is that a recent change ?

What other network do they use in the UK ?
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,333 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    methinks 5 tries of dodgy "free" codes off the internet that never work
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • d123
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    methinks 5 tries of dodgy "free" codes off the internet that never work

Funnily enough, I had the same thought, there's always someone who'll say "don't pay, just use the codes from the net, they always work"... ;)
    ====
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    So the earlier point was interesting. Is it possible to find out when it was unlocked, is this time stamped for example? This would be relevant to proving you could not have done it.
  • d123
    Options
    littlerock wrote: »
    So the earlier point was interesting. Is it possible to find out when it was unlocked, is this time stamped for example? This would be relevant to proving you could not have done it.

It hasn't been unlocked, it's had 5 unsuccessful network unlock attempts, the phone doesn't have any user accessible record of when it's tried, I would doubt even Sony would keep a record of that.

It's similar to if you enter the wrong PIN 3 times and then it locks you out.
    ====
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,333 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    its just a counter , 5 strikes and you're out
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories