Deficit On Stocks And Shares ISA

Options
Hello,

I've got about £9,000 in a S&S ISA with Charles Stanley for a couple of years now. The other day I received an email, saying that following the deduction of platform fees, I now had a deficit of £30 on my account and needed to pay money in now to cover it.

Can anyone explain why or if I need to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Charles Stanley Direct charge a fee of 0.25% per annum, billed monthly.

If there is cash in your ISA they will deduct the fee from that automatically.

If there is no spare cash, they will bill you, that's what they've done and you should pay the bill.
  • ramper77
    Options
    Vortigern wrote: »
    Charles Stanley Direct charge a fee of 0.25% per annum, billed monthly.

If there is cash in your ISA they will deduct the fee from that automatically.

If there is no spare cash, they will bill you, that's what they've done and you should pay the bill.

Thanks for the reply. Why don't they just take the money from my yearly profits, or isn't that counted as cash?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why don't they just take the money from my yearly profits, or isn't that counted as cash?

Because they dont know which assets to sell. That is why you maintain a cash balance if typically around 2% or use income units.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Eventually they would probably pick something to sell for you but it's better for you to either make that decision or pay.

The advantage of paying is that fees for an ISA can be taken from non-ISA money so it lets you avoid withdrawing the fee money from the ISA into their pocket. I don't know if they allow this, though.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jamesd wrote: »
    The advantage of paying is that fees for an ISA can be taken from non-ISA money so it lets you avoid withdrawing the fee money from the ISA into their pocket. I don't know if they allow this, though.
    They do. CSD allow fees to be paid from non-ISA money, if paid within a specified timescale.
  • sorcerer
    sorcerer Posts: 878 Forumite
    Options
    I like to keep about 1 years worth of money to pay fees in my accounts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure