great dane and his poop!

Options
Hi all.
Please has anyone got any tips on how to stop my 4 month old great dane puppy always pooping on a busy pavement. I always clean it up but theres always a bit left as its a bit wet. He's fed on oscars dried food. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I feed my dog on James Wellbeloved and it makes his poo nice and firm - the sack of food even says something along the lines of "makes poo easier to scoop" - sorry the sack is downstairs and I can't be bothered to go and read it.

The other thing is either to carry a bottle with some water in and pour that on the pavement or maybe a tissue or wet wipe to clean up!!

My dog seems to have a knack of going when there quite a lot of people about - he seems to like an audience!!!!
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • blondeandbroke
    Options
    Thanks, might try new food. I take wet wipes, but hadnt thought about water. Just worried that as he gets bigger people might think a pony has been let loose! Always does wee in garden before we go for a walk and sometimes a poo, but just like yours I think he likes an audience.
  • pboae
    pboae Posts: 2,719 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You should be able to train him to go pretty much on command. Pick a command (like Go Toilet, or whatever you want to use) and every time he goes, use the command and praise him like mad afterwards. Most dogs pick it up fairly quickly as long as you are consistent and use it every time he goes.

Once he is exepcting you to say it, move it earlier so that you say it just as prepares to start to go, and then earlier again, i.e. when he starts circling.

It won't happen over night, but once he has learned it is really useful.

But, it shouldn't really be wet, so maybe you should think about changing his food. I feed my St. Bernard Royal Canin for Giant Breeds, I think James Wellbeloved also do a Giant Breed variety. The pieces of kibble are much bigger than usual, which slows them down and makes them chew it properly, which is supposed to help reduce the chances of them bloating.
    When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My friends feed their Neopolitan Mastiff James Wellbeloved on the advice of their vet as he had a bit of a runny problem and seemed to be sensitive to everything else
  • blondeandbroke
    Options
    Thanks for replies. I've had quite a few different dogs before but never a dane. The breeder told me to use oscars as it was best diet for them as they have problems with bloat and their bones, but poo seems quite runny considering he just has dried food, vet says hes wonderful and not to worry too much. Just embarrassed as theres so much of it!!
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Must admit, when I looked after the mastiff I was terrified by the size of what I had to pick up! I swiftly discovered though, that most people are just thankful to actually see you making an effort in picking it up
  • shoppaholic_returns
    Options
    I feed my large breed dog on giant breed puppy Pro plan, chicken and rice which has helped me with the poop prblem, there is also a try me free offer on the sacks at the moment so it may well be worth a try.

My puppy hated royal canin, and this is definately a worthy contender.

Also there is a product called poop freeze, if it really is that awkward to pick, it solidifies the poop for disposal!!
  • pboae
    pboae Posts: 2,719 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately the UK distributer of poop freeze has gone bust, but you can still pick it up on ebay occasionally.
    When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.
  • shoppaholic_returns
    Options
    Seen poop freeze in pets at home and on internet
  • ilovegreatdanes
    Options
    i have a great dane...re user name.had them since 1980.we feed charlie on wagg dry food plus anything leftover.think it depends on the dog, whatever breed, although great danes do have big poops.might be best to experiment for a while and buy smallish amounts of different dry foods and give it between 2 weeks to a month.then you can see what suits him/her.main thing is you are trying to clear as you go.best of luck.theres no dog like a great dane and my oh would only have a great dane.charlie looks like schmeical(sp) from corrie.
    love ilgd xx
    People bring great joy into our lives..some by arriving, others by leaving.im trying to be one of the former, so please bear with :)

LOVE ME, LOVE MY NEWFOUNDLAND.:A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport