Marriage Allowance

We learned from Martin Lewis recently that you can claim Marriage Allowance so today we rang the helpline and it seems we have qualified for this. The gentleman who dealt with our claim asked about our income for the years 2015 and 2016 and said that we will notice a difference on my husbands pension payments in January 2016. Martin Lewis mentioned that we should receive about £400.00 cash refund if we qualify but the gentleman didn't say anything about us receiving a cheque so we are now wondering if we will receive a cash refund as Martin suggested. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Comments

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We learned from Martin Lewis recently that you can claim Marriage Allowance so today we rang the helpline and it seems we have qualified for this. The gentleman who dealt with our claim asked about our income for the years 2015 and 2016 and said that we will notice a difference on my husbands pension payments in January 2016. Martin Lewis mentioned that we should receive about £400.00 cash refund if we qualify but the gentleman didn't say anything about us receiving a cheque so we are now wondering if we will receive a cash refund as Martin suggested. Does anybody have any experience with this?
    Marriage allowance is an allowance that simply raises the threshold before you start paying income tax - by £1100 - so if you pay income tax at a normal 20 % rate - you will be allowed to earn an extra £1100 before paying any income tax - saving £220 per year !!
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,805 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    If they've accepted a backdated claim for 2015-16, then I believe the recipient will get a tax refund cheque for the £200. For this and subsequent years, as 50Twuncle says, they should adjust your husbands tax code to include the allowance, and so his pension payments should increase (as we're a good way through the tax year he should get quite a bit of the sum back as an adjustment in January, and then see a regular a smaller increase in subsequent payments).
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    We just squeezed into the original marriage allowance when we got married in 2002. One person must be born before April 1935 and DH qualified. It was meant to be 'because he had a wife to support'. But we are allowed to split it between us, to set against our individual pensions' income.

I recently got a tax rebate for overpayments up to April this year, very nice and unexpected.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport