PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The sewing thread

Options

Comments

• Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not so much sewing here but altering, I'm shortening 2 summer dresses to make them into tops to wear over shorts//trousers as floaty summer dresses don't mix well with clambering on and off the boat.
    Two other dresses will remain full length until I retire, then I will do the same with them and my winter dresses.
    Work dress code is no leggings, no crop trousers and no strappy tops.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 May 2017 at 10:19AM
    Options
    I made the skirt and am wearing it. I assumed that weight and size remained the same. I made it with a sewn down facing and a zip, did the hem and tried it on, it was far and away too big around the waist, arghh but also :D

Quick fix as I never wear tucked in tops. Two pieces of very good elastic. the sort meant for waistbands with zig zag stitching in built. One piece each side and tight pulls, now perfect fit and another thing I realise is that this A style really suits me. I will also get the same look with 6 gore but I am thinking that I will build in side elastics on future summer skirts. I think I will make the same A style as otherwise I have to get busy re-drafting the pattern

I threaded the serger (overlocker but I prefer the american word) with black and that will do for the next two skirts. Oh yes it worked so smoothly after my self service, very pleased. It is so much quicker to have the two machines on the go. I didn`t put the pockets on. Next skirts will have the elastic placed in a neater position, right at the top of the facings. I do very much like what I have made and will write notes so that I remember when I take the pack out again
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had to tidy my things away, visitors tomorrow, however I finsihed two alterations, one skirt lining taken up and the sewaholic skirt with front pleat is now a skirt without the front pleat. I feel happy with today, one skirt on and two useful skirts now hanging up

I was putting my zips back into a bag, cotton bags with zips and pulls, that I made when I wanted to re-learn my serger. I love the bags, gorgeous, bright and I couldn`t bear to give them away, even though they would make fab presents. I got the bag making pattern from a craftsy class called `beginner serging` by Amy Allen. I put cardboard paddington bear labels on each bag, so know what is in them eg zips, buttons etc I have six and just rescued the left over skirt fabric, 97% cotton 3% lycra, to make another bag. They were entirely made with the serger, including putting the zip in, really good confidence-making class
  • loocyloo
    loocyloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Artytarty wrote: »
    That sounds lovely loccylou! What kind of hem do you put on the blankets?

depends! ... BUT all VERY simple!
    ... If the blanket is single side fleece, then its just a simple rolled hem either zigzagged or single stitch, or I did once bias bind the hem ... won't be doing that again! too faffy!

if the blanket is 2 pieces of fleece back to back, then usually just sew 2 ( opposite sides ) or 3 sides ( on wrong side, so right side when turned inside out ) and then fringe the edge and knot them together. Usually make these rectangles

If the blanket is fleece and cotton fabric, which is my current favourite style, usually a square, and I stitch all the way round, leaving a little hole to turn it right way round, and then I sew up the 'hole' by hand, and then stitch a seam about 1-2cm round the edge.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    loocyloo wrote: »
    If the blanket is fleece and cotton fabric, which is my current favourite style, usually a square, and I stitch all the way round, leaving a little hole to turn it right way round, and then I sew up the 'hole' by hand, and then stitch a seam about 1-2cm round the edge.

That sounds nice. I have a large piece of good ribbed tan fleece, been in my stash for two years, have thought it would make a couple of nice throws. It never crossed my mind to put a cotton fabric on the backs but its a really good idea. Won`t take long and will mean a large amount of stash space will be released. I might keep it as a very large throw/blanket to cover the back and seat of my sofa. I can`t wait to go up and delve into my suitable backing fabrics :)
  • affordmylife
    affordmylife Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone.

I'd like to make a summer dressing gown out of a rather pretty but voluminous dress which has been given to me. In true mse style I'd like a simple free pattern. Any suggestions please xx
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I like how sound of doing that with the dress.
    I think, if it were me, I'd not use a pattern. Look at the dress, seeif you can open it up down the middle and face those edges either with facing or binding or just turned under and sewn. Fashion a belt I feel you can spare a bit of length, get the material from there or make a contrasting one.
    Remove any zips or collars.and cuffs.
    I love wee project that evolves and will be totally unique!
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wouldn`t use a pattern either but I would turn it inside out and use pins to take out amounts of fabric, to get rid of excess. Use the neck and armhole scythe as is, to save excess work. As the dress is roomy then I would think of a range of fastenings, zip or buttons or inside tape and outside belt

I am definitely going to make two bedroom throws, just waiting for backing fabric to arrive as none of mine was wide enough. I managed to get enough pretty vintage patterned sheeting, so I can ring the changes with bedroom colour.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    I would think about making it a 'wrap'
  • affordmylife
    affordmylife Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you both. It's a bandeau style dress so I will have to fashion a neckline somehow x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback