The sewing thread

edited 9 December 2016 at 11:17PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 130.1K views

Replies

• silvasavasilvasava Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes - shame Mercedes didn't read the brief and I thought her black and white top looked very cobbled together. Shame as I thought she sewed some things very well.
    Just realised the thought police on here dont like the word p u s s y lol
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • daisy_1571daisy_1571 Forumite
    486 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    Another vote for enjoying the bee, I watched it this morning. Loved some of the shirts.

Very novel idea to reuse the scraps from previous challenges.

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
  • SmurphingtonSmurphington Forumite
    140 posts
    Hello, I can't sew at all, I was taught to knit by my lovely Grandma but sewing past me by. I'm of the generation that didn't get taught many of these very basic life skills and would very much like to learn. However I have no idea where to begin, I did look around for a few classes but they are very expensive and I wondered if anyone had any advise? Should I buy a machine or is hand sewing the way forward? I want to be able to alter and repair my own clothes and eventually make them
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    12K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    see if your local college has courses. Lessons are expensive yes, but you're paying for someones expertise and knowledge, and they don't come cheap.
    Get a few books out of the library, watch some youtube videos, see if you can do a skill swap on facebook with you teaching knitting and someone teaching you sewing....
    Start small and work your way up. If you have anything old with seams, what you can do is take it apart with a seam ripper to see what shapes of fabric it's made of, how they are cut, where the darts are, how the seams are finished etc, and possibly use it for a template for yourself.
  • Mickey154Mickey154 Forumite
    15 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    I don't know if I'm posting on right place sorry if I'm not. I have a Brother innov-is 500d embroidery sewing machine. The automatic threader on it has stopped working, won't thread and the arm of automatic threader gets stuck down.
    I live in South lakes Cumbria and have been trying to find a service and repair centre for sewing machines. But have not found any thing near me. Does any one know of any sewing machine repair and service centres in the North West of england. I don't mind traveling.

Please don't say Etty- Lilly in Bolton led sands. near carnforth. As I've tried them but it looks like they have shut down. For rent signs in shop window. I've emailed them encase they have moved to another location but have had no reply and don't think I will.

Can any one recommend any where

Thanks in advance
  • -taff-taff Forumite
    12K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a haberdashery or fabric shop near you, ask there.They will probably know someone reputable.
  • loocylooloocyloo Forumite
    265 posts
    ✭✭
    I haven't sewn anything for ages, apart from buttons back on shirts, ribbons and darning on ballet shoes and back seams/split on school skirts!

I need to find something to sew ... but can't get inspired at the moment! I'm loving the sewing bee, but even that isn't inspiring me to actually sew something myself!
  • silvasavasilvasava Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loocyloo - maybe just see something small? You may find it gets your mojo going again. A cushion cover, a shopping bag, even an apron?
    Mickey - sorry can't help other than maybe Google the problem and see if there's any on line help - or are there any craft groups that do machine embroidery that may have a contact?
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Hello I have just de lurked to say how much I love this thread. I've been reading it for the last couple of days and yesterday went a bit bonkers, plundered my savings and bought a Jamone from JL. I did do lots of research which was part of the fun and it was within budget at £169 but has lots of the things everyone says are important. I'm now scared of it a bit!!!!!! I have not sewed since 1979 when I was in my first year of secondary school and was legendary for my ability to sew for 30 seconds and unpick for the rest of the lesson. However, I did produce a wearable school blouse which was too small by the time I finished it.

Apart from the initial cost of the machine, which I need to give a name to, I am on a budget for patterns etc. Do you have any ideas for cost effective places to get thread, scissors, patterns, material etc as this is a brave new world for me!

Thank you for this thread. It's one of the loveliest on MAE. x
    With family, friends and pets (or any combination of them) life will be fine!

Emergency fund £2000 Penny a day ***, mortgage overpayment this month ***
  • PollyWollyDoodlePollyWollyDoodle Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, I'm excited for you! Start with something small and simple, when I first got back into sewing I bought cushion-covers from charity shops and converted them into pencil cases, bags etc. I had no fabric at all, and I've since acquired a stash of stuff that is becoming an embarrassment, as I never seem to have quite the right material for a project.

Other people always seem to get brilliantly cheap fabric, I never seem to find it! Market stalls can be good value if you have one near you, or if you are in or near London it is worth a hike out to Goldhawk Road near Shepherd's Bush. Online sources I've used are Minerva Crafts and Jaycotts. Abakhan is supposed to be good. It's worth looking on eBay for fabric and patterns, too. I usually look for a pattern I like, then search for it on sewingpatternreview.com (you have to register, but it's free) to see what other people thought. Then I Google the make and pattern number to find the cheapest source.

What fun - have you tried sewing with it yet?
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.