The sewing thread - Page 106

New Post Advanced Search

The sewing thread

edited 9 December 2016 at 11:17PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 132.3K views

Replies

• CacranCacran Forumite
    512 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    First time post on this thread.
    I have just retired from my Lunchtime Supervisor job at a school. I have Fibro Myalgia. Some days good, some days, not so good. I have not done much machine sewing for years. I got out my old Frister Rossman machine and had a go at some alterations.
    I have never been good at doing anything but plain sewing on the machine. I have issues with Tension on my machine. As it is of an age before automation Tension, I have to change it myself depending on what materials I am using. I never seem to get it right. Thread bunches up or missing stitches. I got it services a number of years ago and hardly used it since. Now I have more time, I am wondering if I should get a newer automatic or computerised machine.
    Has anyone got any tips or advice on choosing one?
    Keep on trucking!
  • ArtytartyArtytarty Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, a modern machine is a joy to use!
    People on here generally give Janice machines a good review and I have one myself.
    It's great, solid and smooth, can take several layers of fabric in its stride, automatic tension.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • CacranCacran Forumite
    512 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    Artytarty wrote: »
    Hi, a modern machine is a joy to use!
    People on here generally give Janice machines a good review and I have one myself.
    It's great, solid and smooth, can take several layers of fabric in its stride, automatic tension.

I have never heard of Janice Machines. I will have to look for them.
    Keep on trucking!
  • PollyWollyDoodlePollyWollyDoodle Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I think that might be autocorrect for Janome! If you look back on here you'll find several recommendations for them.

I started with a John Lewis £99 basic - I had my grandmothers hand-crank Frister & Rossman and had never used an electric machine before! :eek: Although branded as John Lewis, I believe they are made by Janome, they certainly use Janome feet. I sewed very happily on that machine until I bought a second-hand Janome with a few more bells and whistles.

If you can, I'd go in somewhere that sells machines and try a few out. Like many things in life, you can pay a lot more to get extra features but do consider whether you'll use them. My machine does lots of fancy stitches - I never use them. By upgrading I got a few useful features like automatic back stitch at the end of a seam (I never remember to use it, I just reverse a few stitches), one-step buttonholes which are great (but how often do you make buttonholes) and being able to end with the needle up or down. It depends how much you're going to use it and what you want to make.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • edited 11 March 2019 at 2:22PM
    ArtytartyArtytarty Forumite
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 11 March 2019 at 2:22PM
    Autocorrect at its best! Sorry to mislead you.
    I agree, needle ending up or down is a very useful feature.
    I've got poor eyesight so the needle threader is useful to me but doesn't work in fine needles.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • silvasavasilvasava Forumite
    4.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're on a budget theres been good reviews on Ikea's sewing machine and Lidl & Aldi have them from time to time. I know Aldi give 3 year guarantees on their products.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • PollyWollyDoodlePollyWollyDoodle Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Well I loved last night's Great British Sewing Bee - very MSE! I particularly liked the way they did 'cut-and-shut' shirts, made me think about a few things I've got in the stash that aren't quite big enough for a garment.

And Laura, I thought of you when I saw the dress made from window blinds, I remembered the lovely red shorts you made last year! I really liked it, it's exactly the sort of thing I would wear, but I had to agree about the pleats. Again, it's making me re-think my stash, because I've got quite a lot of curtain/upholstery type stuff in there, but perhaps I should look at it differently.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • purpleivypurpleivy Forumite
    3.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’ve just joined a cover stitch group and been reading. I think I need to take more care in order to get better results. I have some woolly nylon arriving today. Also have invested in a clear foot.

In addition got a binding/cord foot coming for my overlocker.

Fortunately as I use these for work purposes I should be able to offset them against tax. :j
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
  • silvasavasilvasava Forumite
    4.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked the Sewing Bee this week too. In the past I used a lovely white satin stripe cotton shirt of DH as the yoke and sleeves for a maternity dress, the body was navy fabric and the seam covered with white daisy guipure lace. Felt quite stylish. I've also made a dress from a remnant of curtain fabric used sideways - selvedges top & bottom - it turned out really well and was a favourite. Have photos of me wearing it ;)
    Only another couple of programmes - it goes so quickly :(
    Only sewing I have in the offing at the moment is mending - not my favourite but necessary.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • purpleivypurpleivy Forumite
    3.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked the Sewing Bee too. The !!!!! bow blouses were interesting. I liked the purple combo and also the one with navy/cream prints. (think it came second)I didn't care for the lilac on the winning blouse, to me it was out of sync with the rest of the garment. Seems Mercedes won't get another chance to misinterpret the design brief!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j