Money Moral Dilemma: Should I say it's your turn to pay for Christmas dinner?

12346»

Comments

• Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I actually think this is sad, asking for money. I don't have a family to invite or be invited to. Just me, him indoors and the cat.

About 30 years ago I went to my brother's for Christmas and took loads of food, I wouldn't dreamt of going without a massive contribution, but I was there for 3/4 days. We were not turkey eaters so one year I took the biggest piece of beef I could find which they really appreciated as with 2 small children and one salary things were a bit tight.

If I were the OP I would offer to bring something special, homemade or one of the posh desserts from M & S. I wouldn't turn the whole thing into a commercial transaction:o
  • cherydee
    cherydee Posts: 752 Forumite
    We always seem to manage lunch quite well. Usually about 16 of us. My daughter has a large open plan kitchen/dining room so we have lunch at hers. Every year my sister in law and I split the costs, keeping a note of who buys what. Every year I wrap a xmas theme scratch card around each cracker. Yes, it is expensive but it's the one day of the year where we all get together and all pitch in. This year everything added in totalled £200, well more really, but because I wouldn't add the scratch cards into the total my sister in law refused to add in the cost of the wines she had bought.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure