Cahoot Charges

I have a Cahoot account that I neglected to close back in July. I received a letter informing me of charges of £113.56 being applied.
In July I had an unpaid direct debit, my credit balance of a few pence was reduced to£25 debit due to their charge, from then on a £30 charge per month and interest has been charged on an overdrawn account that I was completely unaware of.
I spoke to "Collections" and they agreed to freeze the additional charges and interest due to come as a "Gesture of good will". This was made in particular because there had been no problems with the account management throughout 2016.
I thanked them and asked if the £30 charges could also be removed as I was never made aware until November that my account was overdrawn (I also said I didn't mind paying the £25 fee as my own gesture of good will).
They refuse to take further action in reducing the balance claiming "it's in the terms and conditions", is it fair to ask them to remove the additional monthly charges of which I was unaware?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,043
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    In July I had an unpaid direct debit, my credit balance of a few pence was reduced to£25 debit due to their charge, from then on a £30 charge per month and interest has been charged on an overdrawn account that I was completely unaware of.

This information would be posted. Have you moved address and failed to tell them?
    They refuse to take further action in reducing the balance claiming "it's in the terms and conditions", is it fair to ask them to remove the additional monthly charges of which I was unaware?

As they provide this information with their statements, it is difficult to see how you could not be aware unless you failed to read your statements or they went to a different address.

You can ask whatever you like. However, they can refuse if they wish. You would need to present a valid reason that is reasonable for them to change their position.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Unfortunately I opted out of postal statements long ago and have not received email notification that I am aware, my "spam" folder is purged regularly so I can only assume that notification got lost in there. I am sure that is not a valid reason...
    Thanks for your response.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport