Don't bother with Free Postcode Lottery

Options

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Guthers wrote: »
    Martin Lewis's site is at least useful because it enables anybody who reads the tips to save money. Most on FPL will never see anything in return.

It's not something that happens often, but I agree with Matthew Paris. The utter cynicism of making a living out of bombarding people with more adverts, taking money from the advertisers himself while claiming to be "giving away free money", and ultimately providing nothing of any use to society, and people seem to have fallen for it. With the video draw, you have to watch the advert in full, but then the code is revealed before the featured artist's video. Very telling.

I still can't see why you disagree with a business making money, every business has to get money from somewhere and people are choosing to see adverts to use the site.

The reason that so many services and websites online are free to use is because they get money from adverts. I would much rather that than have to pay to use most websites/services when online.
    And then the comments section has to be seen to be believed. Anybody asking a simple question is rounded on by the regulars as if they resent just giving a simple answer to help. And now they're all cancelling their PPL subs, which do actually help to fund charities. Well done!

I've never read the comments section, that's probably why it takes you so long to check the site ;)

I don't know how you got the information that people are using this instead of the PPL but thats a good thing!. This is a money saving site so if people are saving money by using a free lottery instead then that's great.

The fact that other lotteries use some of the money to support charities is either a marketing gimmick or a legal requirement. They do not do it out of kindness they do it because they think it will make them look good and advertise this fact to get more customers and make more money.
    Hey, there is no "problem", I know it's not compulsory, I'm just very cynical about it. In a free country I'm allowed to do that and give my opinion. I apologise if that offends anybody.

Obviously nobody is offended and nobody is saying you can't give an opinion. But you can't expect people to not challenge a negative opinion if they don't agree with what you are saying.
  • Guthers
    Guthers Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 April 2018 at 6:43PM
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    I still can't see why you disagree with a business making money,
    I don't. What I disagree with is his constant claim that they are "giving away free money" as if he's some sort of philanthropist. It's a money making exercise, relying on hundreds of thousands of people clicking every day while only a tiny number can win anything, and advertisers paying for the privilege, nothing more. It doesn't add anything useful or meaningful to society, and not particularly entertaining either, although some people seem to think it's fun for some reason.
    I don't know how you got the information that people are using this instead of the PPL but thats a good thing!. This is a money saving site so if people are saving money by using a free lottery instead then that's great.

The fact that other lotteries use some of the money to support charities is either a marketing gimmick or a legal requirement. They do not do it out of kindness they do it because they think it will make them look and isd and advertise this fact to get more customers and make more money.
    Well, you may say that, but on their website PPL tell a different story:
    Our parent company Novamedia has been operating charity lotteries around the world since 1989. Their aim is to raise funds for deserving charities and widen awareness of the amazing work of these good causes. All of the Novamedia lotteries use the same simple recipe !!!8211; players winning fantastic prizes while raising money for charity.

Novamedia was ranked as the world's third largest private charity donor in London business newspaper City A.M.'s World Charity Index 2017. Internationally, the operation has contributed over !!!8364;7.9 Billion to charitable projects around the world.

So it seems to me they possibly have a bigger claim to hold the moral high ground.
    Obviously nobody is offended and nobody is saying you can't give an opinion. But you can't expect people to not challenge a negative opinion if they don't agree with what you are saying.
    Well, somebody else here is calling me a moron, and possibly worse. But then I sort of expect that from people on the internet who don't seem to understand plain English..
  • MissPop
    MissPop Posts: 948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh my God, get over it *rolls eyes*

Someone posted in this thread only the other week saying they'd won over a grand. Not bad for a couple of minutes' effort a day.

Make £2020 in 2020 - £263.78/£2020

2020 totals
    Swagbucks - £100 | Prolific Academic - £44.54 | Qmee - £10 | PopulusLive - £50

• Guthers
    Options
    mikep22 wrote: »
    Where are these ads which are bombarding you? :rotfl:
    The whole site is funded because you are looking at adverts, in case you hadn't noticed.
    mikep22 wrote: »
    And yes, the video is most likely on some kind of timer. I am not sure what you are proving here, what is "very telling"?! It is clearly so the video gains views. The more views it gets, the more money it will generate. Its basic stuff.

And the point I made was you are forced to watch the advert, but the featured artist or band's video appears after the code is revealed so you don't need to watch it. In other words the advert is obviously considered more important.

Why not try to be a bit less unpleasant?
  • Guthers
    Options
    MissPop wrote: »
    Oh my God, get over it *rolls eyes*

Someone posted in this thread only the other week saying they'd won over a grand. Not bad for a couple of minutes' effort a day.
    What a brilliant observation. Well done. This is a forum for posting opinions. You get over it.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't. What I disagree with is his constant claim that they are "giving away free money" as if he's some sort of philanthropist. It's a money making exercise, relying on hundreds of thousands of people clicking every day while only a tiny number can win anything, and advertisers paying for the privilege, nothing more. It doesn't add anything useful or meaningful to society, and not particularly entertaining either, although some people seem to think it's fun for some reason.

I'm not particularly interested in playing any kind of lottery, but i like the concept of FPL as it's a free version of something that you would otherwise have to pay for. Which is always good looking at it from a money saving perspective. If the advertisers were not happy with the way the website worked and was funded they could easily refuse to advertise on the site.

If someone comes up with a popular idea then i think they deserve to make money from it. Alot things don't add anything useful or meaningful to society if you really think about it.

So it seems to me they possibly have a bigger claim to hold the moral high ground.

Looking into the company they do seem to be genuinely focused on supporting charities. But the fact they are taking legal action against FPL sours their philanthropy slightly in my opinion; as they appear to not be happy with them simply changing their name.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 April 2018 at 3:35PM
    Options

Well, somebody else here is calling me a moron, and possibly worse. But then I sort of expect that from people on the internet who don't seem to understand plain English..

PPL are a paid lottery that are legally required to give to charity if they want to run in this country the way they do.

PPL are notorious for hounding people to play or play more.

FPL gives you the chance to donate your prize to charity if you win and they will double the amount.

In the past the FPL has said as the site earns more they will be able to increase the prizes (which they have done) and they have also said the increased earnings have enabled them to take on extra staff (which they have done).

The main FPL draw does not require any videos to be watched although if you do choose to look there are a minimum of 17 winning postcodes a day giving over 6,000 potential winners a year. The page loads just like any other internet page for me (except of course I have a chance to get back something for the ads that are displayed unlike almost every other web page that displays ads).

There is no cash payment for the "Free Money" and it is just as free as a "Free" search engine or e-mail address or news page etc etc
  • Guthers
    Options
    I'm not particularly interested in playing any kind of lottery, but i like the concept of FPL as it's a free version of something that you would otherwise have to pay for. Which is always good looking at it from a money saving perspective. If the advertisers were not happy with the way the website worked and was funded they could easily refuse to advertise on the site.

If someone comes up with a popular idea then i think they deserve to make money from it. Alot things don't add anything useful or meaningful to society if you really think about it.

Looking into the company they do seem to be genuinely focused on supporting charities. But the fact they are taking legal action against FPL sours their philanthropy slightly in my opinion; as they appear to not be happy with them simply changing their name.
    Well fair enough, but they might just be trying to protect the money they raise for charity, against somebody who is basically doing it for personal gain. In the end the law may decide what is fair.

In terms of people making money from popular ideas, I just find the whole idea of a site whose sole purpose is to show ads to be distasteful. Most people hate being bombarded with ads, but offer them the tiny chance of a tenner...

And then you can see the abuse you get if you dare to criticise it, either here or in a national newspaper, which doesn't endear it or its fans to me either.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 April 2018 at 10:59PM
    Options
    Well fair enough, but they might just be trying to protect the money they raise for charity, against somebody who is basically doing it for personal gain. In the end the law may decide what is fair.

In terms of people making money from popular ideas, I just find the whole idea of a site whose sole purpose is to show ads to be distasteful. Most people hate being bombarded with ads, but offer them the tiny chance of a tenner...

And then you can see the abuse you get if you dare to criticise it, either here or in a national newspaper, which doesn't endear it or its fans to me either.

The "law" will not be making any judgement on how "worthy" or not either site is - who was there first and is there a chance the sites could be confused with each other.

If you don't like the idea of a site that both makes and gives away money from ads instead of just keeping all the money then just don't visit it.

FYI the main draw is £500 not £10, the biggest payout has been £2,501, almost £570,000 has been given away so far and it would not bother me if the site has earned 10 or 100 times that in the same time.

(Over £6.70 from each £10 monthly play on the PPL does not go to charity so that is an awful lot of money spent on other things given that unlike the national lottery the only way to play is by direct debit so there is no commission to pay to any retailers)
  • lytton
    lytton Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Anyone would think that Guthers has never heard of websites being funded through ad revenue. The concept is nearly as old as the internet itself. What do you suppose mr FPL’s annual revenue is? What would be a suitable turnover for his website so you think? The thing with the ads right, I’m not sure if you’ve tried this but bare with me.......the thing with the ads right is that you could try just not looking at them like I do. I’m not being made to look at any save 1 a day on the video draw. Even then I can literally turn my head and look at a hedge, for 8 seconds or so, and the magic is done. You may think the PPL concept is super but here’s another key point - many people on low incomes don’t want to gamble. Even people on higher incomes don’t want to gamble. Charity donations aside a lot of us actually have strong views about gambling, especially when those who are least informed and most in need are targeted in a predatory fashion. What we’ve got is a free to play site that requires virtually no cognitive input that gives some small prizes. As far as internet entities go it’s benign at worst. There’s a reason why MSE links to it; because it’s quite a nice idea as a passive hobby every day, and assuming you’re not on a 56k modem and connected to wi-fi it shouldn’t cost anything. People on tight budgets have the opportunity to use a public wifi hotspot such as those at libraries or cafes. I can’t help but wonder if your vitriol hides some sort of ulterior motive because I really don’t see the big deal. Basically, I wish I thought of the FPL concept, but I didn’t, so I don’t get the revenue unless I start up a similar site. I don’t think Crossword mania offers much to society but I occasionally buy a copy at an airport or something. If I find that it’s being run by Al Qaeda then I’ll let you know, but it’s probably not worth losing any sleep over otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure