Don't bother with Free Postcode Lottery

Options

Comments

• Guthers
    Guthers Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It should be remembered that the full time staff at FPL are the real ones who make money out of this, by persuading the rest of us mugs to wade through all the ads every day with the tiny chance of winning what amounts to little more than pocket money. The pages take so long to load that 4 or 5 minutes seems about right, and you can't look at another tab while you're waiting either. And if you've got a data allowance wave goodbye to that.

And the owner keeps banging on about how he's "giving away free money". If he was more honest about who's profiting most from this and where the money actually comes from in the first place I wouldn't mind so much.

But of course I keep looking, despite it not making any sense, because tomorrow it might be my code. In the meantime I have earned literally thousands from survey sites over the years.

It'll be interesting to see the outcome of the legal battle with PPL.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Guthers wrote: »
    It should be remembered that the full time staff at FPL are the real ones who make money out of this, by persuading the rest of us mugs to wade through all the ads every day with the tiny chance of winning what amounts to little more than pocket money. The pages take so long to load that 4 or 5 minutes seems about right, and you can't look at another tab while you're waiting either. And if you've got a data allowance wave goodbye to that.

It take me at most 2 minutes to do everything and view the video when the site is a bit slow and it isn't exactly data intensive. If checking the site once a day for a month uses all your data allowance then it must be a very low allowance!.

[QUOTE=Guthers;74123528
    And the owner keeps banging on about how he's "giving away free money". If he was more honest about who's profiting most from this and where the money actually comes from in the first place I wouldn't mind so much.

But of course I keep looking, despite it not making any sense, because tomorrow it might be my code. In the meantime I have earned literally thousands from survey sites over the years.

It'll be interesting to see the outcome of the legal battle with PPL.[/QUOTE]

More honest about profiting? Why would a business need to explain that they make a profit, isn't it obvious?.

I think it's a pretty good site as you can take part in a lottery without paying a penny compared to paying £1/£2 a go for other lotteries.
  • cally6008
    cally6008 Posts: 7,629 Forumite
    Options
    FPL have got a survey running about a new name for them
    https://goo.gl/forms/PDDW0a5AHPDLFrCp1
  • Guthers
    edited 7 April 2018 at 2:10PM
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    More honest about profiting? Why would a business need to explain that they make a profit, isn't it obvious?
    Not when he keeps claiming to be giving away free money, no. But my point was, as the OP pointed out, if you play it you stand a tiny chance of winning some pocket money for your time, while the owners make a living from showing you adverts.

He also gets prickly if anybody criticises him, even in a jokey way:

freepostcodelottery.com/blog/a-nasty-little-idea-but-rather-brilliant/
  • sham63
    sham63 Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don’t get this thread - it’s not compulsory, so don’t play if you don’t agree with the principle.

With regards to the company making a profit, so what? How many companies are there that provide a service completely free, with no salary or expenses for employees?

What I also find strange is someone creating a new MSE account just to slag FPL off.
  • Frogle
    Options
    Perhaps Raspberry Queen works for PPL!
  • 9411john
    9411john Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Takes none of my time to check! Whilst first page is loading put kettle on. Then right right click and open each prize category in new tab. Go back to kettle and make tea. By time tea is ready all pages have loaded. Drink tea whilst perusing the pages. Simples!
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not when he keeps claiming to be giving away free money, no. But my point was, as the OP pointed out, if you play it you stand a tiny chance of winning some pocket money for your time, while the owners make a living from showing you adverts.

He also gets prickly if anybody criticises him, even in a jokey way:

freepostcodelottery.com/blog/a-nasty-little-idea-but-rather-brilliant/

I really don't understand what the problem is?. It's "free money" because it doesn't cost you any money to watch adverts, I know it costs you a small amount of time but it's just a term used for marketing so don't get too hung up on it.

Also so what if he is making a living out of it, I'm glad he is!. He has come up with a good idea so why shouldn't he make money?. Ironically your posting on a site where Martin Lewis has made millions from due to how popular it is and all the people who visit it. Martin Lewis has made far more money from this site due to people like us using it than the guy who created FPL.

So what if he doesn't like people critising his idea, it's his idea and he can defend it if he wants to. The prizes may not be massive but it doesn't cost money and you have a higher chance of winning than with the national lottery.

But as others have said you don't have to use the site, it's a lottery so it's not even a remotely essential service. So he can run the site however he wants and it won't really effect anyone.
  • Guthers
    Options
    Martin Lewis's site is at least useful because it enables anybody who reads the tips to save money. Most on FPL will never see anything in return.

It's not something that happens often, but I agree with Matthew Paris. The utter cynicism of making a living out of bombarding people with more adverts, taking money from the advertisers himself while claiming to be "giving away free money", and ultimately providing nothing of any use to society, and people seem to have fallen for it. With the video draw, you have to watch the advert in full, but then the code is revealed before the featured artist's video. Very telling.

And then the comments section has to be seen to be believed. Anybody asking a simple question is rounded on by the regulars as if they resent just giving a simple answer to help. And now they're all cancelling their PPL subs, which do actually help to fund charities. Well done!

Hey, there is no "problem", I know it's not compulsory, I'm just very cynical about it. In a free country I'm allowed to do that and give my opinion. I apologise if that offends anybody.
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Martin Lewis's site is at least useful because it enables anybody who reads the tips to save money. Most on FPL will never see anything in return.

It's not something that happens often, but I agree with Matthew Paris. The utter cynicism of making a living out of bombarding people with more adverts, taking money from the advertisers himself while claiming to be "giving away free money", and ultimately providing nothing of any use to society, and people seem to have fallen for it. With the video draw, you have to watch the advert in full, but then the code is revealed before the featured artist's video. Very telling.

And then the comments section has to be seen to be believed. Anybody asking a simple question is rounded on by the regulars as if they resent just giving a simple answer to help. And now they're all cancelling their PPL subs, which do actually help to fund charities. Well done!

Hey, there is no "problem", I know it's not compulsory, I'm just very cynical about it. In a free country I'm allowed to do that and give my opinion. I apologise if that offends anybody.

This is weapons grade stupidity. Nobody is being offended, its a free country and we are allowed to think you are being a moron. I apologise if that offends you.

It takes very little time to view the main draw, the video draw (you just hit play, then go and make a cuppa), a 1 question survey and the stackpot. Where are these ads which are bombarding you? :rotfl:
    And yes, the video is most likely on some kind of timer. I am not sure what you are proving here, what is "very telling"?! It is clearly so the video gains views. The more views it gets, the more money it will generate. Its basic stuff.

Yes, the business is out there to make money. And you know what? Good for them. Good luck to them.

I am not sure what the PPL has to do with this thread? And how dare you scold people off for what they do with their money, that is none of your business.

You are cynical...about what? What is it that they are doing that is not obvious?

Fool of a took. Its a free country, dont be offended now.....
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport