Staying out of debt...please share your tips....

Options
I am in the very fortunate position of having been given a substantial amount of money this week and for the first time in my adult life I am debt free (well almost, I still owe 30k on a 1% interest mortgage but as the rate is so low I'm happy to trickle money into that). I have a reasonably well paid job and am so excited that I will actually be able to put money aside for things like holidays. It's an amazing feeling...last week I was struggling to maintain £20k of unsecured debt and a much higher mortgage!

I know how lucky I am and am determined never to be in that position again. And this is where I need your help. How do I make sure I stay debt free? I have written out a budget and set up a separate current account (one for salary to go into and direct debits and the other for monthly spending.

What now? How best to manage the budget and track it on a day to day basis? How best to stay motivated and not return down the slippery slope of debt?

Any advice would be very welcomed! :D

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,987 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Allotrope wrote: »

What now? How best to manage the budget and track it on a day to day basis? How best to stay motivated and not return down the slippery slope of debt?

Any advice would be very welcomed! :D

Would you like to buy some magic beans ???

Ah but seriously, I live within my means, and that's it, don't have credit cards, don't take loans, I have a catalogue account as I am a man and I hate shopping, but I mostly pay it off every month.

Plus I don't want to be insolvent again, which is good motivation I can tell you !!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • GTR_King
    GTR_King Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have a CC Pay off in full every month (If you can't do that the don't get one)

Have and Overdraft but only for about £300 to cover you if you need to use it...

Have spending account transfer money to it and once that has run out wait till you get paid..

Only spend what you can afford..

Also you need to save some money as well
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Rather than ask for tips you need to look to yourself first. How did you get into debt in the first place? Was it a specific incident that triggered it or living beyond your means?

You've said about saving for holidays etc - I would sort out my pension and savings position first - retiring early makes for a very long holiday :D. This applies even if you're in your 20's - saving now will reduce what you have to save to get the same result in the future.

Take time to research things then 'pay yourself first' - have all savings taken automatically out of your bank and save what is left rather than save anything that's left at the end of the month. If you've been paying off debt you're probably used to being quite frugal - I'm not suggesting you carry on knitting your own yogurt for ever ;), but give yourself a reasonable spends budget and then save the rest.

Good luck for the future :T.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,664 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Spreadsheets and budgets are great tools.

I work out all essential spends and pay as much by direct debit as possible. All other spends are then divided appropriately into savings pots for gifts, holidays, house and car and then long term savings for retirement. Spending money for month is separated out for OH and myself and then a joint pot for food, travel,entertainment etc.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • moneyonmymindsam
    moneyonmymindsam Posts: 2,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 December 2016 at 8:38PM
    Options
    Wow on the debt busting. Congrats on the debt freeness :)

Start with a new SOA to divide up your estimated living costs and budget and then stick to it , If your really rubbish at Budgeting ( like me ) give yourself an affordable daily allowance like £10 a day or something so once its gone, it's gone but you are still within your budget.

Debt free what a wonderful place to be :)

Sam x
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • FinallyDebtfree2017
    Options
    Find out what got you into debt in the first place and tackle that head on.
    Set yourself saving goals, as you say holidays, but also emergencies, retirement etc..
    GOAL 30th November 2017 - 100% paid off, 0% debt left
    31st March 61% paid off:T
    March 2015 Debt at Highest
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,344 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Save more than you think you really need - because the car won't last for ever, or the boiler, or the roof, or...

I have long term savings (I hope they will be for retirement, but might be used if I were out of work), medium term savings (for annoying things like the car dying), and spendable savings (for holidays or laptops and the like).

Also be very aware of mentally spending money more than once - you have more money each month, and want to save - if you save the extra then you don't have it to spend that month, and vice versa.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Some brilliant advice here already - I'll back up something that has recurred throughout though - budget, Budget, BUDGET!!

If you have a car, work out roughly what you spend on maintaining it in a year - include in that tax, insurance, MoT test, servicing, tyres, and other depreciation. Add on 10%, divide by 12, and that is the amount you need to set aside monthly to cover everything. Likewise, household insurances plus a small fund to cover the Hoover going wrong, or a new kettle being needed. Separate savings for all these things are certainly the way forward as far as we are concerned - we've got accounts for those, plus holiday savings, presents, and a few other things, When the money lands in the account at the start of the month, automatic transfers send the relevant amount to each of those accounts, as well as our own spending money to our accounts. That way we know what is for spending and what is for savings.

The more you budget for things, the less "surprise" spends will come along. Let's be honest, most "surprise" spends aren't really that surprising, are they - with a bit of foresight you can pretty much see that they'll be coming at some stage! In terms of personal spending money, you may find it helpful to ensure that there too there is a cushion for "personal" savings aside from the household stuff.

Know what you have coming in and know what you have going out. If the first equals more than the second, you'll be OK. Review quarterly to see how things are going, and if you have money left in the account at the end of the month, pop it away into savings to avoid frittering.

Good luck!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a spreadsheet and keep separate accounts for bills and spends. Update my spreadsheet every card spend.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Budget! Give every bit of your salary a job.

I use YNAB and many people who use it end up paying off BIG debts, mortgages, student loans etc much earlier than normal.

I'm still about £3k in debt but it will be gone by next July (except my car loan and mortgage) so I'm hoping to be in a much better position by then, but meanwhile YNAB keeps me on the straight and narrow.

Congratulations on being debt free!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport