New stooze

Hi.

Newbie to stopping but not mse and confident with finances

Im thinking of having a go. Start of very small. And see how it goes. I've got to credit but until im setup I'd only use existing credit .

I have a limit of 9100 on a Barclaycard. I've got an offer of 0℅ interest for 1.9 fee. Money transfer. Until June 17 ( 6 months ). Should I transfer say 4000 to fill up a tsb classic plus and a nationwide. In June I'd thrn see how it's gone as nd whether I want to proceed again

Cheers

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,515
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    is the interest worth it, paying 1.9% fee for just 6 months?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected].
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,775
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Because you pay the fee up-front I think you'd need to earn an average of 3.8% interest over 6 months to break even. With TSB reducing to 3% interest you'd probably want to transfer TSB money to the Flexclusive Regular Saver at £500 p/m to max the interest.

The return overall isn't great and could be less if Nationwide drop their rates (on the regular saver).

Perhaps a better way to start would be to get a long term 0% purchase card and do a slow stooze, potentially transferring that balance to a 0%, no fee, balance transfer card as you approach your credit limit/end of term.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,803
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Alexdozza wrote: »
    Hi.

Newbie to stopping but not mse and confident with finances

Im thinking of having a go. Start of very small. And see how it goes. I've got to credit but until im setup I'd only use existing credit .

I have a limit of 9100 on a Barclaycard. I've got an offer of 0℅ interest for 1.9 fee. Money transfer. Until June 17 ( 6 months ). Should I transfer say 4000 to fill up a tsb classic plus and a nationwide. In June I'd thrn see how it's gone as nd whether I want to proceed again

Cheers

Good if you just want it to learn. But in term of profit, it is not worthy, ypu even do not want to invest time to calculate it. Just roughly a small amount, duration of 6 month and fee of 1.9% you will need an account which is paying 3.8%+ pa just to make a penny if there is money to make considering TSB is dropping its interest soon.
  • Superscrooge
    Superscrooge Posts: 1,171
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You would be better going for a long (up to 30 months) 0% purchases card with no upfront cost rather than 6 months money transfer with a 1.9% fee

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/best-0-credit-cards#virgin30
  • Thanks all appreciate not being hounded for wanting to learn and just take baby steps

The problem I can see is that my credit o wage ratio will be seen as high ..

I currently have ..
    NatWest cc limit of 4700. Not used only active as a back up
    Tesco cc. Limit 3300. Was used for a BT but clard not used in 6+month
    Halifax clarity. - us this for every day spend and cleared in full. As the reward £5 is stopping this won't be so lucrative

If I want to go ahead and start stoozing ( all be it shall scale t start with ) what's the best way to rejig my credit cards to thrn apply for a 0℅ spend ? Close accounts. R just reduce limits to hundreds bot thousands?
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 1 December 2016 at 3:33PM
    I would go for fewer high-limit cards.
    The high limits show that other companies think that you are safe.
    Fewer cards show that you're not potentially overstretching yourself.

So I'd say close the NatWest and Tesco cards.

[ETA - Hold on, are you saying you won't be getting benefits from the Halifax card in the future? Do you get points from the Tesco card? If so, I'd say close the Halifax card and use the Tesco card for everyday spending and clear in full.]
  • Your hold on. Is correct. The £5 reward for clarity which is why I was using it, is stopping

Would you thrn close the NatWest and Halifax ?
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you get points that you can use from the Tesco card, then yes I'd close NatWest and Halifax.
  • TheShape
    TheShape Posts: 1,775
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Have you already got a TSB Classic Plus Account?

You might get the TSB Platinum card for up to 20 maths 0% on purchases with 1% cash back on first £500 spent each month. I got declined but got the 10mth Classic card, still with the cash back.

If you have a Nationwide account and qualify, the Nationwide Select Credit Card is 0% on purchases for 12 mths with unlimited 0.5% cashback.

Perhaps keep your longest held card, perhaps reduce the limit if high. Close the rest.

6 or so weeks before your 0% purchase card will get close to its limit or end of 0% apply for a 0%, no fee, balance transfer card. You can also apply for a new 0% purchase card if you want to continue the stooze.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure