Probate - IHT205 box 11.8

Options
Hi there,

I am in the process of doing probate for my late mothers estate - all quite simple and under the threshold. The only sticking point is as follows - which figure do I put in box 11.8 -

Value of the freehold/leasehold residence of the person who has died if owned in their sole name or as tenants in common

So my mums residence was owned by her and two friends as tenants in common - in the proportions 2/3 my mum and 1/6 each of the 2 friends. She was the sole resident.

The total value of the property is £180k so my mums share is £120K. In box 11.8 do I put £180k as the full value or £120k as my mums share? The Estate remains under the threshold whichever figure I put in the box so that isn't an issue - I just want to make sure I am giving the correct figures. The notes in IHT206 are explicit in saying to put in only the value of the share owned by the deceased if there were tenants in common in box 11.9 -
Value of other freehold/leasehold residential property if owned in their sole name or as tenants in common

But don't mention this for 11.8 so any advice/prior experience welcome.

Many thanks

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family