New Sky Box with 'FreeSat from Sky'

in TV MoneySaving
9 replies 6.9K views
Hi

I hope someone is able to help. :money:
just over a year ago, I downgraded my Sky TV subscription to 'FreeSat from Sky'. I'm very happy with this, and have no need to get a subscription again.

The thing is, the Sky HD box is now about 8ish years old, and regularly conks out, needing me to take the power lead out for a couple minutes, before rebooting the box.

So I am now looking at the option of buying a newer (but second hand) Sky HD 1tb box. My question is, can I just buy the box and plug it in? would I need to phone Sky to let them know? If I do, will sky charge anything? Also will it cause any problems with Sky+ recording ability (which I am currently able to do)?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that you have Sky+ , unless it is a freebie for keeping line and broadband. It's usually disabled when your subscription runs out.

However, perhaps someone forgot to switch it off, as when I rejoined, last week, they omitted enabling it.I thought the problem was a failure in linking the box to the router, but, when the man realised my internet was no longer with Sky, he said 'Oh, it's not on;our fault and soon fixed.'
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jut swap the box and then re-pair the viewing card with the new box.
    As above, no guarantee that Sky+ will still work, as this is normally disabled at the time you cease your subscription. If PVR features are important to you, then get a Humax Freesat box instead, which will give you almost the same channel line-up.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • VisionManVisionMan Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Heres the problem you face - when you cancelled your subscription, the SKY advisor screwed up, as they should have also cancelled recording facilities as well. So if you need to contact SKY to re-pair your card to a different FSFS box, if they have any savvy about them, they'll do so, but at the same time disable your recording facilities.

It would be best to just purchase a Freesat recorder.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cannot pairing now be done via the box menus and without a phone call to Sky?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
    9.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    macman wrote: »
    Cannot pairing now be done via the box menus and without a phone call to Sky?

I think so, as my son takes his card from home, when he stays in his caravan, which has a box and dish.
  • MoneymakerMoneymaker Forumite
    2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Or you could send your Digibox to someone like Digifix for refurbishment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    razam wrote: »
    Hi

I hope someone is able to help. :money:
    just over a year ago, I downgraded my Sky TV subscription to 'FreeSat from Sky'. I'm very happy with this, and have no need to get a subscription again.

The thing is, the Sky HD box is now about 8ish years old, and regularly conks out, needing me to take the power lead out for a couple minutes, before rebooting the box.

So I am now looking at the option of buying a newer (but second hand) Sky HD 1tb box. My question is, can I just buy the box and plug it in? would I need to phone Sky to let them know? If I do, will sky charge anything? Also will it cause any problems with Sky+ recording ability (which I am currently able to do)?

Thanks in advance.

Although this may be a closed thread now can I ask whether you pay Sky just to keep the recording facility?

If not then as said earlier, just put your card in the box to pair it up, whether you still have the ability to record is up in the air and if not and you phone Sky I doubt they'd enable it without payment.
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes you can. £10 per month subscription
    9.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Yes you can. £10 per month subscription

....which is more than some are paying for a package providing programmes.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News