MSE News: Welsh students to benefit from 'generous' student finance system

edited 23 November 2016 at 1:44PM in Student Money Saving
2 replies 2.5K views
Legacy_userLegacy_user Forumite
0 Posts
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 23 November 2016 at 1:44PM in Student Money Saving
The average Welsh student could potentially pocket £7,000/year in maintenance grants from September 2018 under new plans...
Read the full story:
'Welsh students to benefit from 'generous' student finance system – grants of at least £1,000/yr to be given to all'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• Obviously agree in principle - as grants should never have been abolished imo.

But I'm not sure this has been thought through properly - as there are a lot more people going to university these days than those who would have typically gone a generation ago.

The Welsh Assembly is already funding free prescriptions for everyone and extra costs of printing everything in a second language (ie Welsh) - ie extra bills to those covered by the Government for the country as a whole. If this third extra cost is added in - then I'm not sure whether there will be sufficient money there to fund such a commitment.
  • VT82VT82 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    MSE_Callum wrote: »
    The top rate grant and loan support will be £8,100 for a student living away from home outside London and £10,125 for those in the capital.

Meanwhile, those from a household earning above £59,200 will only receive the universal £1,000/year maintenance grant.

Someone earning £59k takes home less than £42k (if they're lucky), but might be expected to make up the shortfall of up to £9k in lost grant/loan out of this?!

Am I missing something? Because that seems barmy, especially under the magnifying glass of the current Martin Lewis crusade about making parental contributions to university grants/loans more transparent!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides