Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Disposal of foreign coins

Options

Comments

• asbokid
    asbokid Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Options
    I found this old thread and tried the above company after receiving the following to my enquiry. They did what they said and although the rate was much lower than the generally advertised holiday money rate I was happy because you cannot get rid of small notes or coins.

I will not be going back to Turkey for some time and they even paid to exchange Spanish Pesetas from a holiday years ago!
    :j

"Post the currency by recorded or special delivery to Cash4Coins Mail centre, Suite 121, 79 Friar Street, Worcester WR1 2NT."

Andrew Martin
    Account manager,
    Cash4Coins
    07947 179 178

'Tis a strange business that has no landline, and uses a maildrop as its postal address!

From google street view...
  • fun_in_the_sun_2
    Options
    I read the details on how to send currency and they do explain that the address is a mail centre.

C4C Mail Centre, Suite 121
    79 Friar Street
    Worcester
    WR1 2NT

Please note that this is only a secure postage address and all cash is removed each day to our counting office. Personal callers are welcome to drop sealed packets during normal business hours but exchanges of foreign coins for cash are not possible at this address, it is purely for secure mail to be stored during business hours
  • asbokid
    asbokid Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Options
    I read the details on how to send currency and they do explain that the address is a mail centre.

C4C Mail Centre, Suite 121
    79 Friar Street
    Worcester
    WR1 2NT

Please note that this is only a secure postage address and all cash is removed each day to our counting office. Personal callers are welcome to drop sealed packets during normal business hours but exchanges of foreign coins for cash are not possible at this address, it is purely for secure mail to be stored during business hours

What is the status of the Cash4Coins business? Is it a limited company? Where is its list of directors? Where are its registered offices?

Can you tell us the rate you were given for exchanging your Turkish Lira, and the date of the transaction?

And out of curiosity, what were you given for your Spanish pesetas? They are not strictly scrap metal since the Banco de Espana will exchange them for legal tender.
  • fun_in_the_sun_2
    Options
    I thought I was making a constructive addition to this with an experience but the replies all have under tones of a personal grudge or mistrust of the firm I used.

What I got for my money is none of your business and if you want to fly to Spain and take your old coins there you are welcome, I was happy with this option.
  • daveroberts22
    Options
    i just used cash 4 coins and I found them ok... my coins were mostly non eurozone stuff and they responded quickly enough and paid up in about 10 days so quicker than i thought they would... so worked ok for me. the coins had no value to me anyway and when i went to a local coin fare they told me to basically bin 'em! so when i got some money for them i was happy.

can only speak for myself as i dont know anyone else who has used them.
  • I just used cash4coins, I had about 1.5kg (about 4 coin bags full) of old coins: lots of small euro coins, a few US coins, some old Slovakian notes and a note from the Dutch Carribean. I got £26.73 for them. This is probably quite a bit less than the coins are worth but because I can't change them anyway and they have to sort and sell them I was happy enough. It is free money and my coin jar is no longer jammed up with foreign coins I dunno what to do with. I think some of the charities that collect foreign coins use cash4coins to turn them into GBP. I would use them again it is a low hassle option and they are reliable.
  • little_busy_bee
    Options
    Hi,

you can send foreign and obsolete coins and notes to Practical Action

i cannot post link as i am still a new user, but you can google practical action charity coin recycling to find their webpage.
  • nomoneytoday
    Options
    If I send your company let's say 34.54 deutsche marks, I want to know exactly (+- the fluctuation in the daily currency movements) what you'll pay up me before sending the coins.
    DEM 34.54 is EUR 17.66
    However, you'll never get £15 odd for it on any UK site AFAIK ;)
    I would let a charity have it, they'll make better use of it :)
  • JohalaReewi
    Options
    And what do charities do with all the junk coins they get?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 30 September 2011 at 5:45PM
    Options
    And what do charities do with all the junk coins they get?

Good question.

Junk coins are all the ones you can't redeem anymore such as Portuguese escudos, Greek drachmers, Belgian and French francs, Dutch guilders, Maltese and Cyprus pounds.:cool:

Speaking of coins, as from March next year, you can't get rid of Italian lire, and Finnish marks either.:(

I'm taking 2.9 million lires (approximately 1,500 euros) with me to Italy next month for redemption. 1 euro=1,936.27ITL. Of that, about 800,000 lire are in coins weighing around 13 kilos:eek: Good thing I'm flying with Easyjet!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure