Removing Thanks

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Site Feedback
11 replies 1.7K views
BigglesBiggles Forumite
8.2K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Site Feedback
If you have 'Thanked' a post, then decide to remove the Thanks, for whatever reason, I often find I get a message saying,
'You don't have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
1 Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2 If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation'

Usually, when I finally get back to that post again, my 'Thanks' actually has been removed.

Replies

• missbiggles1missbiggles1
    17.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biggles wrote: »
    If you have 'Thanked' a post, then decide to remove the Thanks, for whatever reason, I often find I get a message saying,
    'You don't have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    1 Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2 If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation'

Usually, when I finally get back to that post again, my 'Thanks' actually has been removed.

It must be the name - that happens to me as well!
  • MothballsWalletMothballsWallet Forumite
    15.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same thing a little while ago, and it still happens occasionally - I even raised it on this board as a dedicated thread here.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
  • jaylee3jaylee3 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    This thread is leaving me slightly bemused, because I am trying to find a situation where anyone would want to remove the thanks they gave someone. :huh:

Why would you thank a post, and then remove the thanks?
    (•_•)
    )o o)╯
    /___\
  • coolcaitcoolcait Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    jaylee3 wrote: »
    This thread is leaving me slightly bemused, because I am trying to find a situation where anyone would want to remove the thanks they gave someone. :huh:

You were aiming for the 'Quote' button, and hit 'Thanks' by mistake?
  • BigglesBiggles Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread is leaving me slightly bemused, because I am trying to find a situation where anyone would want to remove the thanks they gave someone.

As above by coolcait. And also, sometimes on rereading, you might change your mind about the post's usefulness.
  • keepcalmandstayoutofdebtkeepcalmandstayoutofdebt Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭

When somebody completely deletes their opening post. When that question could really reasonably have helped someone else and all you end up with is a pretty disjointed thread, why delete when you can just do a post and run! Mention no names! - you might as well say sadly here everybody I was only lying/joking to end up with a posting that someone has gone to the effort of changing to "deleted" or the famous . !! Which you look a bit daft thanking and could give wrong impression.

Re Joined Slimming Word in group 02/06/21   ..   Want to lose every week! 6 lbs gone to date

• jaylee3 wrote: »

To add to the above, people have been known to go back in and edit their post, and what they have said in the edited version may be quite different from what they said in the original post that you thanked.
  • DoaMDoaM Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, if you're reading on a touch device you might end up clicking Thanks when you actually meant to touch the screen to scroll. :)
  • jaylee3jaylee3 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    DoaM wrote: »
    Also, if you're reading on a touch device you might end up clicking Thanks when you actually meant to touch the screen to scroll. :)
    To add to the above, people have been known to go back in and edit their post, and what they have said in the edited version may be quite different from what they said in the original post that you thanked.
    coolcait wrote: »
    You were aiming for the 'Quote' button, and hit 'Thanks' by mistake?
    Biggles wrote: »
    As above by coolcait. And also, sometimes on rereading, you might change your mind about the post's usefulness.
    When somebody completely deletes their opening post. When that question could really reasonably have helped someone else and all you end up with is a pretty disjointed thread.

Yeah fair enough. Never thought about all those reasons! :D
    (•_•)
    )o o)╯
    /___\
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie

Although on another level, presumably for reasons not dissimilar to why our monarch has been known to strip people of knighthoods

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2012/jan/31/goodwin-mugabe-mussolini-ceausescu-disgraced

I agree with you BTW - the 'honour' or 'thanks' is given when the recipient is deemed worthy. Whatever they subsequently do, doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't perhaps deserve it when it was given.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals